We are not sending out cards but making a donation to some charity

I don’t see the point of sending cards to people you can drop in on. Family and friends across the country or globe, well that’s logical. Sending a card to someone who lives half an hour away is a huge cop out. Just visit them if you care that much.
The greetings card business is a work of genius. Once you start sending cards to people, you’re kind of obliged to do it until one of you drops dead.

The sooner the mass sending of greetings cards is consigned to history, the better. It’s not some ancient tradition, it’s a hugely profitable business that works on guilt. :lol:

-Ebeneezer Scrooge

I told my closest mates who I chat to every day and couldn’t give a stuff, that they weren’t getting cards, and donated a dinner each at the food drive/bank thing for them. That was three weeks ago so not just because I couldn’t be arsed.

Sent cards to anyone I actually care about who lives away as want them to know they’re genuinely in my thoughts even though I don’t see them. Family got cards out of necessity more than anything else.

Probably sent 15 total. Used to send treble that.

Didn’t bother with anyone else.

I must admit, I don’t value receiving them at all. Not my thing. I am firmly on the spectrum mind, could be a factor. They’re wasted on me and a charity donation is fine, though I’d rather me mates just kept the money.

How about sending or not sending a card and discreetly donating or not donating to charity and refraining from telling everybody about it?

I don’t see the point of sending cards to people you can drop in on. Family and friends across the country or globe, well that’s logical. Sending a card to someone who lives half an hour away is a huge cop out. Just visit them if you care that much.
The greetings card business is a work of genius. Once you start sending cards to people, you’re kind of obliged to do it until one of you drops dead.

The sooner the mass sending of greetings cards is consigned to history, the better. It’s not some ancient tradition, it’s a hugely profitable business that works on guilt. :lol:

-Ebeneezer Scrooge

Agree.

Just like Crapmas that starts at the beginning of November.

Should ban all crapmassy things until 7 days before events, ie commercials, crapmas music, crapmas sales etc, no santas in shops, Sure this will make it more enjoyable for hose that bother instead of everything going on a couple of months beforehand

f***ing sick of it before it starts, especially standing in queues in shops listening to same old music

Roll on the New Year!!!

Neeone else think sending a card to your wife or close relative who you see all the time is a bit stupid?

Paying three quid for a fancy bit of paper to say something you can say to someone face to face?

-Ebeneezer Scrooge
I missed this. Yes you agree :D

Neeone else think sending a card to your wife or close relative who you see all the time is a bit stupid?

Paying three quid for a fancy bit of paper to say something you can say to someone face to face?

I missed this. Yes you agree :D
Agreed. Same with birthdays, too. My wife apologised to me for not writing happy birthday on my wall on Facebook the other week :rolleyes::lol: It’s fine love, you said it in real life.

We did this.

We gave Christmas cards to parents, and to relatives abroad/down south but didn’t do any others.

Used the money we would usually spend on cards (and more) to donate to a local charity appeal to buy presents for disadvantaged children. We saved part of a tree and helped those less fortunate. It’s win-win IMO

Paper is probably the one thing that's sustainable in the world anymore. There's a lot more you could do that save a few bits of paper. It takes 2400 litres of water to produce 1lb of meat today. Mental that. So if you didn't eat meat 1 day a week across a year the amount of water and actual damage to the earth you'd be saving would be far greater. That's a real difference!

:D

It is daft, but its why I only ever pay 99p from card factory

What’s all that about like? Lazy fuckers.

Whats the correlation between not sending cards and donating to charity?
Because I'm not trying to be tight and saving money.

Cards are shit, a waste of time, and terrible for the environment. Fuck them.

£40 more in the alzheimers society funds is far more useful.

Virtue signalling
When you actually give the money to charity, its hardly a bad thing.

When you click "like" on something thinking it makes a difference, well, that's different.

Last edited:
I love sending Christmas cards. There is a tradition with a few mates to draw the most offensive we can but still be able to have it on their shelf at home. I love walking around the village with my boys and hey post them through the different letter boxes.

How about sending or not sending a card and discreetly donating or not donating to charity and refraining from telling everybody about it?
It can be quite difficult to break with tradition.especially one so deeply rooted.

So changing the story into something positive is one way to help make the break

Paper is probably the one thing that's sustainable in the world anymore. There's a lot more you could do that save a few bits of paper. It takes 2400 litres of water to produce 1lb of meat today. Mental that. So if you didn't eat meat 1 day a week across a year the amount of water and actual damage to the earth you'd be saving would be far greater. That's a real difference!

Paper making also consumes more water than tonne of product than almost any other industry (several litres per sheet), plus bleach and other fun things. And then it's trucked about. And then printed with colour inks and made into cards. Usually wrapped or boxed in plastic. Then trucked about. Then sold. The plastic chucked away. Then given, opened, read in about five seconds, put on a sideboard or windowsill never to look at again until they go in the recycling if you're lucky, which again creates pollutants when all the inks are washed out of the paper.

I guess people think that if they just don't send a card and donate instead, the people they've sent cards to for years will think they're arseholes who have forgotten them. So I think telling people you're not doing cards once is fair enough.

Announcing what you're doing every year though is look at me territory.

Back