We are being manipulated by the elite

• Thread starter Deleted member 40035
  • Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
It's the LOOK AT ME extension of an increasingly narcissistic society. People wanting other people to be interested in pictures of their fuck ugly kids and vomit coloured culinary abortions, and read their political diatribes that have been written in what seems like an alien tongue. They have voices and they WILL BE HEARD IMMEDIATELY. Even if they can't even manage to spell their own mangled charvtastic name.

... plus a good deal of "look at me".

I was going to describe it as "a bit sad", but it isn't is it? It reaally is very sad, to the point of pathos.

Ok, I am an old git. But I have managed to live my life with genuine friends, real lovers and tangible acquantances. I welcome the world in, but take the obvious cautionary steps.

Why would I need a multitude of unknown correspondents sending me their views of the world (I have TV and Mr Google to drown me in that, coupled with updates on peoples' updatets on cooking, illness and disease, abd their stunningly uninteresting beliefs and preconceptions?

Luckily I come fully equiped with my own brain.

Are we being manipulated by 'Elites?' We have been for centuries haven't we? Who moulds, indeed forms our opinions these days and who has done that historically? Do we receive news, have we ever received news that is unbiased and untainted by propaganda?
I think we are lucky in that, on the whole, our Democracy has generally been benign (give or take Universal suffrage only being granted because of the slaughter of the First WW) and that could change. None of us are that far removed from' fake news' turning into 'Our Glorious Leader' and then into some latter day dystopian vision of 1984 but with the surveillance of any would be malign state now having an incredible reach, power and influence through the growth of the internet.
It seems that some see their on line persona as having greater validity than their every day social interactions. The Trump election and the part played by Cambridge Analyticals must cause concern surely? And who is behind all that? Is it some amorphous grouping of the super powerful, super rich. Or is there something more organised, more sinister?
Never been much of a one for 'Conspiracy theories' tbh yet the World and it's systems seem increasingly chaotic and I guess in that chaos lurks dark forces.
And the very rich and powerful get richer and more powerful as time passes. They also become occluded from common view... More powerful, more entrenched, and is there anybody they are answerable to?

Are we being manipulated by 'Elites?' We have been for centuries haven't we? Who moulds, indeed forms our opinions these days and who has done that historically? Do we receive news, have we ever received news that is unbiased and untainted by propaganda?
I think we are lucky in that, on the whole, our Democracy has generally been benign (give or take Universal suffrage only being granted because of the slaughter of the First WW) and that could change. None of us are that far removed from' fake news' turning into 'Our Glorious Leader' and then into some latter day dystopian vision of 1984 but with the surveillance of any would be malign state now having an incredible reach, power and influence through the growth of the internet.
It seems that some see their on line persona as having greater validity than their every day social interactions. The Trump election and the part played by Cambridge Analyticals must cause concern surely? And who is behind all that? Is it some amorphous grouping of the super powerful, super rich. Or is there something more organised, more sinister?
Never been much of a one for 'Conspiracy theories' tbh yet the World and it's systems seem increasingly chaotic and I guess in that chaos lurks dark forces.
And the very rich and powerful get richer and more powerful as time passes. They also become occluded from common view... More powerful, more entrenched, and is there anybody they are answerable to?

I cannot entirely share your proposition that our democracy has usually been benign.

The Luddites may well have been short sighted, but their treatment was cruel.

The Peterloo massacre was supposedly a triumph of democracy over unreason. That it was not.

The cruelty of our police force against the miners was supposedly to protect Democracy. Whose democracy?

The demolition of our own city by the gorgeous Margaret (F) Thatcher was apparently democratic. No visible benefit from democracy in action is to be seen in Sunderland. It is an abandoned city.

The English rape of the North by the south (deliberately absent capital) fails to pluck my democratic cords.

... etc.

Last edited by a moderator:

All spot on mate apart from bold bit.

What method do you use to decide which ones are 'legit' and which to discard?

My BS filter is second to none bud. Plus my gut, my brain, my common sense and and special eyes provide me with sufficent artilery to sort the wheat from the chaff.

I cannot entirely share your proposition that our democracy has usually been benign.

The Luddites may well have been short sighted, but their treatment was cruel.

The Peterloo massacre was supposedly a triumph of democracy over unreason. That it was not.

The cruelty of our police force against the miners was supposedly to protect Democracy. Whose democracy?

The demolition of our own city by the gorgeous Margaret (F) Thatcher was apparently democratic. No visible benefit from democracy in action is to be seen in Sunderland. It is an abandoned city.

The English rape of the North by the south (deliberately absent capital) fails to pluck my democratic cords.

... etc.
Quite agree, should maybe have said relatively benign.. as opposed to Mao, Stalin, genocide of indigineous people bi imperial forces, et al,

My BS filter is second to none bud. Plus my gut, my brain, my common sense and and special eyes provide me with sufficent artilery to sort the wheat from the chaff.
See above. Poor use of words by me...

If that were accurate, you'd place less value on the content of YouTube videos full stop ;)

So out of interest, what would the world be like if the 'elite' weren't controlling us?

Because if I'm currently being controlled I personally don't mind given that I'm writing this from Majorca, that I travelled to on a £30 plane ticket paid for by having a good job and having never had to take part in a World War.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back