WDSC

Sunderland city centre will never be what the people want it to be - Newcastle city centre.
I wish people would stop making that comparison.

We should look to develop ourselves not constantly put ourselves down against the regions capital.

this is what happens when you vote in a labour council every GOD DAMN election ya daft bastards
There is no chance any other party would be voted in, I’ve never voted for Labour for many many years, but the opposition is far too weak and never mount a serious push as a viable alternative.

Last edited:
I wish people would stop making that comparison.

We should look to develop ourselves not constantly put ourselves down against the regions capital.

There is no chance any other party would be voted in, I’ve never voted for Labour for many many years, but the opposition is far too weak and never mount a serious push as a viable alternative.

Agree re: newcastle although it’s extremely unlikely we could compete on a commercial centre basis. We need to have something different and sustainable as in being the place people choose to live in the region.

As for the labour comment I would add that I very much doubt the labour councillors come up with the plans for the city they merely just support specific projects. No matter which party is in power it’s not as if they will change the property market all of a sudden, rental levels will be the same regardless of the political leadership.

I think the best thing about this is barely anything is new, it's just a consolidation of stuff they've talked about/drawn pictures of in the past :lol:

Is it cynical to think the only reason they're putting the new City Hall there is because they can't convince businesses to move there, leaving unoccupied land on the site?

Is it cynical to think the only reason they're putting the new City Hall there is because they can't convince businesses to move there, leaving unoccupied land on the site?

Tbf, the current civic is falling to pieces & a need building is needed. The vaux site is probably the best plot in the city for the new building.

What would it realistically take to change things permanently in the city centre?

Better city planners? Better marketing? More sales and commercial teams? External investment? More assistance from Government? More events? More students?

Hopefully being out of the old arrangement in the North East combined authority could help. Maybe new planners with fresh, ambitious ideas for Sunderland. More people living and working in the city centre will help.

The city centre needs growth and there's lots of land in the urban core of Sunderland, places like nile and villiers street along with vaux site, farringdon row, riverside sheepfolds etc.

Back