RR Way Back When: Sunderland 1-2 Brighton (1981) - Last-gasp sickener at Roker Park!

I was at both of those. Heaven and hell.
Think in the end the Liverpool win didn't matter because if other results, but that didn't change the day at all.
And of course, a hat tip to Bob Paisley, who did not exactly gee his team up for the game, saying later that " if it had been a horse race they'd gave called in the stewards"!
Only Bob could have said something like that.
champagne in the dressing room after from Sir Bob

The following week we were away at Liverpool while Norwich were at home to already relegated Leicester. We were as good as down, no chance of Liverpool giving us anything or Norwich slipping up.
Liverpool had nothing to play for. Bob Paisley had a crate of champagne ready which he sent into the Sunderland dressing room after the game.
Liverpool had nothing to play for. Bob Paisley had a crate of champagne ready which he sent into the Sunderland dressing room after the game.
Did not see previous posting. Likewise 1970 when Shankly told a bemused team running out at Roker to take it easy and not get injured for the following season. We were so bad that night we could not take advantage and with seconds to go and the two points that would save us looking highly unlikely Chris Lawler decided to take the win bonus

Last edited:
I was at both of those. Heaven and hell.
Think in the end the Liverpool win didn't matter because if other results, but that didn't change the day at all.
And of course, a hat tip to Bob Paisley, who did not exactly gee his team up for the game, saying later that " if it had been a horse race they'd gave called in the stewards"!
Only Bob could have said something like that.

He was talking bollocks. Hansen hit the bar with a cracker and there were some other half chances.
The fact was that very few Liverpool players were going to risk getting injured with a EC final coming up. From memory, I think Dalglish, Souness and Terry Mac were rested v us that day ?

Aye . Brighton winner at Fulwell

That’s my memory of the Brighton winner . Complete silence

I was at the Brighton game, we needed a draw to stay up as we were 2 points clear of them going into that game with a better goal difference (only 2points for a win those days).

There was a beer strike going on and the pubs only had canned or bottled beer, no draft. Was in the Red Lion with a mate, having a couple of beers and a pre-match toastie (they used to do a great toastie in there). Was sorry to see that pub go.

As for the match, was getting ready to celebrate the 1-1 draw and safety when they scored a screamer in the last minute totally out of the blue. Totally gutted.

Made for a very nervous last week before our game at Liverpool, which was a great day!

Back