Waterproof coat recommendations needed.

I would buy a coat made from Ventile - that's the fabric, not a brand/manufacturer.

It's a great fabric, waterproof, breathable, so you don't sweat like one made from Goretex or some of the Mackintosh ones. I find the trouble with a Barbour is that it can make you sweat a bit and the wax coating can smell a bit too strongly for my liking.
I have a Barbour one made with Ventile fabric. It's my go to coat if it's absolutely lashing down. Have a wax one as well and can't say I've noticed me sweating in it but I have in my lightweight waterproofs, even the ones that are meant to be breathable.

Patagonia had a few of their lightweight waterproof jackets on sale for £60 last I checked. That's half price. I have one and find it to be very good at what it does. It's thin, though, but does cut wind chill a bit.

I was just about to recommend a Patagonia Torrentshell.

I really like Patagonia. Some decent sales on at the likes of the Hipstore online. Lyst will also link to all the sales.

I have a Barbour one made with Ventile fabric. It's my go to coat if it's absolutely lashing down. Have a wax one as well and can't say I've noticed me sweating in it but I have in my lightweight waterproofs, even the ones that are meant to be breathable.

Didn’t know Barbour did a Ventile number. Out of touch with its stuff these days although I bought a Barbour Harrington-type jacket in May. Only worn it the once, seems decent. Waterproof too. Might get it worn in the autumn.

I could talk about coats all day....
Aye I've been in for work. Don't have a need for owt like that personally.

Bought an Arcteryx this effort in Vancouver a couple of years back. It’s short, made of a boiled wool-type fabric, coated with something or other to make it water-repellent. It’s smart, yet dead functional. Needs to see more wear.

Their Veillance range is way dearer again.

Last edited:
Didn’t know Barbour did a Ventile number. Out of touch with its stuff these days although I bought a Barbour Harrington-type jacket in May. Only worn it the once, seems decent. Waterproof too. Might get it worn in the autumn.
Was a special edition a few years back. Not sure if they still do one.

Logon or register to see this image

Arcteryx are fantastic,got a down one that I have worn down to -25 with windchill with a baselayer of merino wool and felt toasty,got the trousers etc and fantastic but your going to pay a decent price,got mine in Canada so a little cheaper.

Nice jacket but wouldn't imagine that is waterproof?

For a £200 budget I like the Rab Kinetic Alpine jacket. Soft, breathable and waterproof: Kinetic Alpine Jacket

Back