Water bills - rip off?

We're a family of 3 (2 adults and a 6 year old) and Northumbrian Water have bumped our bill up twice in the past year from about 30 quid a month to the latest bill of 57 quid a month. I played holy hell the last time on the phone when they upped it to 40 odd quid as we had just moved my mother in law out who'd been in with us so couldn't understand the increase. This latest one seems like it's taking the piss.

Anyone else experiencing this with them? On a meter btw.

We used to live in a flat with a meter and found it was horrendously expensive. Moved into a place now where it’s not metered and the price is pretty reasonable.

There were only the two of us in the flat, only had showers - not baths - no kids or owt and it was nearly £50 a month.

We used to live in a flat with a meter and found it was horrendously expensive. Moved into a place now where it’s not metered and the price is pretty reasonable.

There were only the two of us in the flat, only had showers - not baths - no kids or owt and it was nearly £50 a month.
Was thinking of getting a meter but may not now.

We're a family of 3 (2 adults and a 6 year old) and Northumbrian Water have bumped our bill up twice in the past year from about 30 quid a month to the latest bill of 57 quid a month. I played holy hell the last time on the phone when they upped it to 40 odd quid as we had just moved my mother in law out who'd been in with us so couldn't understand the increase. This latest one seems like it's taking the piss.

Is the £57 based on a projection or actual use?

Was thinking of getting a meter but may not now.

Is the £57 based on a projection or actual use?

Based on projected, which they've arrived at from actual apparently. It's not as if we use water any more than we have done previously and we've had the meter checked in the past. Can't understand how our bills have almost doubled with one less person around.

That sounds expensive. I'm paying £32 for 2 adults and a child.

Daily showers and 2-3 baths a week. The washer is on most days. Winter/wet weather use involves washing the dogs daily as they get thick of mud and summer use includes watering the garden.

Only 2 adults and 1 child id be getting a meter taken out

:eek: me the wife and 2 young kids with washer going all the time, daily showers and baths, etc. Were on a meter and currently pay £13 a month.

£30ish a month here, just me and the missus, we're on a meter inside the house so just chuck the reads in when they ask us to... Probably use more than the average couple too.

Cheers all - we asked about looking into leaks etc but think I'll be ringing up and playing holy hell on the phone again

Maybe the mother-in-law went around turning the taps off when the rest of you left them running?

My way of celebrating her leaving was to run all the taps is more likely!

That sounds expensive. I'm paying £32 for 2 adults and a child.

Daily showers and 2-3 baths a week. The washer is on most days. Winter/wet weather use involves washing the dogs daily as they get thick of mud and summer use includes watering the garden.

This sounds round about the same as we'd use and 32 quid was a similar price to what we were paying. Something is definitely amiss

Last edited:

Check your meter to make sure it matches what the bill says.

Turn everything off and check to make sure the meter isn’t going round.

Back