Watching Quinny's Fiftieth...

Status
Not open for further replies.
honestly thought we had wasted money on him 'only good with his head' was my thoughts at the time, well the big fella proved me wrong over and over...if he had been in a manchester united team or had a foreign name MOTD would have been tossing over him for years, the way he could find space and read the flight of the ball was amazing, i also remember him being hemmed in on the wing once with 2 or 3 players round him his footwork to get away from them was brilliant.

So many great goals, deft flicks, tucks into corners, bullet headers, lobs and his chest control was phenomenal. It's rare we get to see a players golden years but we certainly saw the best of Niall. What a player. Watching it I couldn't help but feel sad about how far we have fallen, I wonder how long it will be before we see someone of his quality in our shirt again?

My favourite ever Sunderland player. Loved the way he played. First touch was phenomenal for such a big fella.

The only player I've ever seen that was able to pass with his head.

He was a one off. We will not see his like again - definitely not at Sunderland.

Definitely in my top 5 favourite players I've seen play for us. Absolutely doesn't get enough credit in general for how good a footballer he was. Plenty of his great goals mentioned so far but I loved the one away at Palace in the Cup -- facing away from goal, took the ball coming towards him on his chest and in one movement turned and smashed it in from the edge of the area. Class.

Watched that and now feel a bit sad. Maybe I do still care after all!

This. He was class. I was a similar build to quinny and i used to try to model my game on his :lol:

Me too only my build was more like Neil Ruddock :lol:

Last edited by a moderator:
So many great goals, deft flicks, tucks into corners, bullet headers, lobs and his chest control was phenomenal. It's rare we get to see a players golden years but we certainly saw the best of Niall. What a player. Watching it I couldn't help but feel sad about how far we have fallen, I wonder how long it will be before we see someone of his quality in our shirt again?
Was this a tv programme?

My favourite memories:

The two goals in successive wins at SJP.
The bullying of Desailly in the 4-1 v Chelsea.
And the bullying of Sol Campbell in a 2-0 win v Spurs.

That 2-0 against Spurs was his peak in my opinion.

Campbell being the best young centre back about and he was just too clever. Amazing to think how good we were with a pretty average team.

That 2-0 against Spurs was his peak in my opinion.

Campbell being the best young centre back about and he was just too clever. Amazing to think how good we were with a pretty average team.

Team spirit, organisation, guts, desire, ability and a top class goal scorer.

Fuck me, after watching this Quinny is like Messi compared to anything we currently have. For a big unit, he would comfortably be the most skilful player at the club today. I think I have forgot how good he actually was for us

I remember thinking to myself every week a player that big shouldn't be so good with the ball at his feet.

I remember my dad ring home from his holidays in Spain and telling him we've signed Niall Quinn for £1.3million

'Newcastle sign Shearer for £15m, Middlesbrough sign Ravanelli for £7m and we get Niall f***ing Quinn for £1.3m! We'll always be the poor relations. Quinn is finished and he was never that good to begin with!'

Now he regards him as being as good as Charlie Hurley!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back