Watching and seeing your daddy like I am

I’m spending every minute I can with him and treasuring every minute too. xx
Get loads of videos of him.

And if you have any questions you've always wanted answered... now's your moment! ;)

I don't envy what you're going through but I'd gladly swap places if it meant having my Dad back even for only a few months. You're lucky to still have him. Don't feel sad, be grateful. Make the most of his time.

Get loads of videos of him.

And if you have any questions you've always wanted answered... now's your moment! ;)

I don't envy what you're going through but I'd gladly swap places if it meant having my Dad back even for only a few months. You're lucky to still have him. Don't feel sad, be grateful. Make the most of his time.
All so very true xx

I feel your pain after what I went through this year finding my dad dead on the floor and bringing him back to life after 30 minutes of CPR. Only downside was he was starved of oxygen for to long and had massive brain damage. I still beat myself up for seeing him with only a machine keeping him alive but family got the chance to see him and say there goodbyes. We turned the machine of 3 days later and it was heartbreaking. I still get flashbacks now and crying like a baby as I write this. But keep strong for him and my thoughts are with you and your family..

I feel your pain after what I went through this year finding my dad dead on the floor and bringing him back to life after 30 minutes of CPR. Only downside was he was starved of oxygen for to long and had massive brain damage. I still beat myself up for seeing him with only a machine keeping him alive but family got the chance to see him and say there goodbyes. We turned the machine of 3 days later and it was heartbreaking. I still get flashbacks now and crying like a baby as I write this. But keep strong for him and my thoughts are with you and your family..
Aww that’s so awful, you talk about the downside, but from reading your post the upside is you gave him a chance. So don’t beat yourself up.
Hope you are okay
Thank you xx

Big hugs to you Janey. I dread the day it comes for me with parents .
Thank you I wouldn’t wish it on anyone xx

Aww that’s so awful, you talk about the downside, but from reading your post the upside is you gave him a chance. So don’t beat yourself up.
Hope you are okay
Thank you xx

Thank you I wouldn’t wish it on anyone xx
I don't think I will ever get over it. I didn't sleep more than 2 hours a night for 3 weeks I had horrible flashbacks. It's been 8 months now and I'm just starting to sleep ok.i blamed myself for the way he ended up and still do a little. But every day I get better with the help of my family and a good doctor..

Lost both parents to it. Looked (nursed ) after my dad and Mam in their own home and both went in their own bed peacefully considering they were both ravaged.
Dad went last Xmas after what were 3 hard yrs, so pleased I sold one of my business so I could be there more for him the last 8 months .
If it wasn’t for my sister (nurse) I know I couldn’t of been brave enough to keep him at home.
Some saying take load of vids etc...not so sure as it’s best to remember them when things weren’t so bad .
Hope things go aswell as for you as it did for us .

is just bloody shit. It just hurts so much

Since the summer we've known my Dad has prostate cancer..it's quite advanced and has gotten into his bones..i know how you feel @janey..watching him today..he's 81 and also has Alzheimers..he's oblivious to the cancer and we don't mention the word..you just want to do so much to help..my Dad's topper..ex Coldstream Guard..Shipyard Welder..married 57 years..my Mams 82..by your posts on here I can tell how much your Dad means to you and he's lucky to have someone like you to give him the support he needs..god bless.

We lost my Dad to it - pancreatic cancer - in January this year.

Three months after he was diagnosed.

My Mam's had a rough week as it's the 'anniversary' of his diagnosis and it's her birthday today (wedding anniversary next week). He faded so quickly that it's still hard to believe - he was a big strong bloke - a fine footballer in his youth (Sunderland boys, played at Anfield and Old Trafford but rated Ayresome Park as the best surface he'd played on, after Roker Park, of course - a tremendous all-round cricketer, respected and feared in equal measure in the Durham Coast League - so good that a workmate of mine didn't believe me when I told him a few years ago that he'd never been paid - he'd always thought he was our local club's Pro). He served his time in the Yards before working at Doxfords and David Browns but cricket was his main thing.

When he eventually ended up in St Benedict's Hospice, on admission the doctor asked him what he had done in his working life - "I was a cricketer" came the reply.

My brother was with him a lot of the time he was in the hospice, along with my Mam, but when he wanted a shave it was me he asked - then the old bugger kept telling me to watch what I was doing. I was with him when he eventually stopped breathing - 10 days after the hospice nurses expected him to go - that heart of his just didn't know when to give up.

I still talk to him when I think no-one's listening - keeping him updated on the football and cricket scores - I miss him but I'll never forget how he influenced my life and, along with Mam, made me who I am today.

It's awful, and pancreatic cancer is a bastard among cancers, but your Dad's fought well and he'll know he's loved when he eventually moves on.

Just remember the good times and memories. Time does heal. Eventually.

My thoughts are with him and you and your family. God bless.

Last edited:

My Mam's had a rough week as it's the 'anniversary' of his diagnosis and it's her birthday today (wedding anniversary next week). He faded so quickly that it's still hard to believe - he was a big strong bloke - a fine footballer in his youth (Sunderland boys, played at Anfield and Old Trafford but rated Ayresome Park as the best surface he'd played on, after Roker Park, of course - a tremendous all-round cricketer, respected and feared in equal measure in the Durham Coast League - so good that a workmate of mine didn't believe me when I told him a few years ago that he'd never been paid - he'd always thought he was our local club's Pro). He served his time in the Yards before working at Doxfords and David Browns but cricket was his main thing.

When he eventually ended up in St Benedict's Hospice, on admission the doctor asked him what he had done in his working life - "I was a cricketer" came the reply.

My brother was with him a lot of the time he was in the hospice, along with my Mam, but when he wanted a shave it was me he asked - then the old bugger kept telling me to watch what I was doing. I was with him when he eventually stopped breathing - 10 days after the hospice nurses expected him to go - that heart of his just didn't know when to give up.

I still talk to him when I think no-one's listening - keeping him updated on the football and cricket scores - I miss him but I'll never forget how he influenced my life and, along with Mam, made me who I am today.

It's awful, and pancreatic cancer is a bastard among cancers, but your Dad's fought well and he'll know he's loved when he eventually moves on.

Lovely story matra.

Lost both parents to it. Looked (nursed ) after my dad and Mam in their own home and both went in their own bed peacefully considering they were both ravaged.
Dad went last Xmas after what were 3 hard yrs, so pleased I sold one of my business so I could be there more for him the last 8 months .
If it wasn’t for my sister (nurse) I know I couldn’t of been brave enough to keep him at home.
Some saying take load of vids etc...not so sure as it’s best to remember them when things weren’t so bad .
Hope things go aswell as for you as it did for us .
My mam is determined he will be at home, I’ve dropped two days at work so I’m around more too.
I hope you are okay as can be xx

Since the summer we've known my Dad has prostate cancer..it's quite advanced and has gotten into his bones..i know how you feel @janey..watching him today..he's 81 and also has Alzheimers..he's oblivious to the cancer and we don't mention the word..you just want to do so much to help..my Dad's topper..ex Coldstream Guard..Shipyard Welder..married 57 years..my Mams 82..by your posts on here I can tell how much your Dad means to you and he's lucky to have someone like you to give him the support he needs..god bless.
Sounds like they’ve had the same sort of marriage as my mam and dad. It must be awful that he’s got Alzheimer’s and cancer, so sorry to hear that. Big hugs xx

That’s one of the hardest bits seeing a big strong man fade to nothing, St Benedicts is our back up plan if it gets too much at home. It is a bastard among cancers.
Thank you for sharing your story it sounds like he was an amazing bloke xx

Last edited:
My mam is determined he will be at home, I’ve dropped two days at work so I’m around more too.
I hope you are okay as can be xx

Spend as much time as you can with him pet. Love hearing your stories about him and the daft things he says. He sounds like a top bloke :cool:

Spend as much time as you can with him pet. Love hearing your stories about him and the daft things he says. He sounds like a top bloke :cool:
He is, he’s simply my hero xx

Wonderful place, staffed by wonderful people.

They do an amazing job in awful circumstances. Quite how they keep smiling, day after day, I'll never know.
Yeah we have the palliative team coming out now. Brilliant xx

I too have lost family, friends and colleagues to this dreadful disease, the bastard doesn't discriminate between young or old either.
It's sad to see you and your family going through this, try not to wear yourselves out janey.xxx

Back