Wasps

Bang on op.

If by pointless you mean critical to the Human race.

In defence of wasps: why squashing them comes with a sting in the tale

"Despite their poor public image, wasps are incredibly important for the world’s economy and ecosystems. Without them, the planet would be pest-ridden to biblical proportions, with much reduced biodiversity. They are a natural asset of a world dominated by humans, providing us with free services that contribute to our economy, society and ecology."
I read a bit about their importance to the Eco-system and found new respect for them when I realised they eat slugs and other pests. I have a grudging respect for how mean they are now, especially the ninja style parasitic ones. Still make a satisfying thunk if you twat one with a drinks tray though.

I took some rubbish down the dump recently. Within about 5 minutes I had half a dozen of the stripy bastards flying about inside the car, they'd made a nest in an old cardboard box.Don't know how I didn't write the car off that day.

The last time I saw wasps mentioned on this board was the poster that was doing mental gymnastics to excuse Darron Gibson. Claimed a wasp managed the fly in through his Mercedes air con system and distracted him leading to him crashing his car. One of my favourite ever posts that. Brought me untold laughs.

Superb!

Nasty little bastards. Once got one in me crash hat when on a downhill leg while doing the Coast to Coast. Try maintaining a straight line on a bike while shaking your head to get rid of a buzzy, stingy thing away from your scalp. Since moving to warmer climes I've come to realise that hornets are much nastier and harder to kill.

Last edited:
I’m going to become a mass murderer because people are more pointless thanks wasps. Just saying.

Since moving to warmer climes I've come to realise that hornets are much nastier and harder to kill.

Hornets are far less aggressive than common wasps generally. They look massive, sound like helicopters and their sting is apparently like a white hot nail going in. Approaching a nest is dangerous though as they can be incredibly defensive.

Happened to be holding a cardboard tube from a spent roll of wrapping paper the other day en route to the recycling bin.

A wasp crossed my path in the kitchen and I played a lovely straight drive at it with the tube, knocking it into a cupboard door and stunning it, with the voice of Richie Benaud saying “That was a lovely stroke.” In my head.

Back