Washington DC

Went there years ago with my first wife. She was a travel agent and we got all over.

got to the hotel just down from the white House and went down to the bar. We'd only been in 20 minutes and we were ushered out of the bar and on to the street - bomb scare. Secret Service agents with shopping bags, looking like normal people flipping out ID badges and the like. Happens all the time seemingly.

On the plane going into Dulles I got chatting to a yank bloke in his 60's who offered to give us a lift from the airport to a bus station where we could get the bus to the hotel. Got into his car and flipped open the glove compartment - he had a pistol in there. Couldnt believe it. his car had been parked up for days in the car park "full of guns". ridiculous.

Any recommendations for hotels near the touristy bits?

Avoid The Watergate Hotel - stayed there in 2018 and thought it was massively overrated. It is close to the Mall and the sights but didn't rate it at all.

Washington DC is not that big of a city despite being the capitol so you can easily stay in one of the better "neighbourhoods" and still be close to the sites - Foggy Bottom is well located, Georgetown (more expensive) or around Dupont Circle would be decent choices. The metro system is very good and it is also a very walkable city.

I studied there in 88/89 and have only returned a couple of times - don't know what took me so long with the last visit as it really is a cracking city. Loads to see and do.

Not the best nightlife, but still plenty enough.

Any recommendations for hotels near the touristy bits?
Only one mate ...The watergate bay hotel .Location fantastic, near White House, monument ect.Not far from Georgetown.Check out Clydes " the people's choice" .
My brother mlf lives in dc ( been over there 35 years ) .i prefer it to New York ..more "leafy " and easier paced .His mrs ( no) is from Georgetown which is great area .That hotel though is great location and you probably know is the building Nixon is remembered for .( the president not Alan!)
Funny just read previous post ..what do I know ha ha

Last edited by a moderator:
Only one mate ...The watergate bay hotel .Location fantastic, near White House, monument ect.Not far from Georgetown.Check out Clydes " the people's choice" .
My brother mlf lives in dc ( been over there 35 years ) .i prefer it to New York ..more "leafy " and easier paced .His mrs ( no) is from Georgetown which is great area .That hotel though is great location and you probably know is the building Nixon is remembered for .( the president not Alan!)
Funny just read previous post ..what do I know ha ha

I wasn't a fan. Room could have been cleaner. Decent whisky bar, pool and it had a roof top bar which had good views. But what got me it seemed the hotel was more interested in getting people into the bars than catering for the ressies.

I think there would be better choices elsewhere, depends on budget etc.

But agreed, it is a cracking city.

I thought it was quite rough on a night like but possibly the most interesting place I’ve been to. Museums all ower.
It was rough as fuck. I wasnt bothered but our lass was nervous as fuck walking the streets. I think youd call the place "culturally diverse" and we'll leave it there.

not a patch on Detroit mind. Now thats a place...to avoid...an absolute shithole...and a good story from USA 94

Last edited:
Hotel Lombardy on Pennsylvania Avenue is one of the old historic hotels in DC. It wasn’t as pricey as I expected and has plenty of character.

Stayed in the Hotel Lombardy a couple of years ago. Nice hotel with old fashioned decor. In a quiet location but walking distance to Foggy Bottom metro. Make sure you go and see the Korean War Veteran's memorial. It's stunning both during the day and at night.

I wasn't a fan. Room could have been cleaner. Decent whisky bar, pool and it had a roof top bar which had good views. But what got me it seemed the hotel was more interested in getting people into the bars than catering for the ressies.

I think there would be better choices elsewhere, depends on budget etc.

But agreed, it is a cracking city.
All personal choice I suppose .Great city ..they love the Brits and our history in dc I have found .We were explaining the rules of cricket in a bar in Georgetown using salt and pepper pots to six locals.very funny , great lads .

I had a great time out there - should have made more of it when I was a student but was more interested in bars, clubs, shops, etc. Lived about six blocks from the White House so seeing all the sights was an everyday occurrence, so took it for granted a bit.

I worked in Georgetown in a clothes shop - it is a lovely part of the city. There aren't as many places to drink as I remembered when I was there in 2018 but there are still enough places. Martin's Tavern and Clydes still going strong.

Apart from the obvious sites (and there are stacks) I would really recommend going to Arlington Cemetery. Old Town Alexandria is also worth an afternoon - quaint old sort of place.

The museums are wonderful and they are free - apart from the Holocaust Museum.

The National Archives are worth a visit if you're into history - on display is the likes of The Bill Of Rights. You are best of booking tickets in advance for that.

The National Museum of African American History and Culture is fairly new, so not been to this one but it is supposed to be great.
It was rough as fuck. I wasnt bothered but our lass was nervous as fuck walking the streets. I think youd call the place "culturally diverse" and we'll leave it there.

not a patch on Detroit mind. Now thats a place...to avoid...an absolute shithole...and a good story from USA 94

I was out there in 88/89 when the murders were just about at their peak. Maybe it is the passage of time but didn’t feel too threatened or anything. There was the odd incident, think I heard distant gunshots, but it was sound. One incident outside a club could have gone very wrong.

Lived in Foogy Bottom, which was very save. However, moved out of student digs up to 16th Street on the edge of Adams Morgan, opposite Malcolm X Park. Used to have a kick around on the park and it was fine. It was just beginning to get gentrified back then and you needed to have your wits about you at night. However, I’d still walk around at night on my own, pissed out my head.

Saw Public Enemy one Sunday in a park in Anacostia in SE DC. Now that is a real rough area, one of the ghettos. Thousands there, must have been no more than a dozen white kids there. I went on own, not a hint of grief.

Not been to Detroit - seen the pics etc. Heard it is improving now but certainly not one I have thought of visited.

Was there last week and stayed at the Capital Hilton, which was good. It's right next to the white house and about 10 minutes walk to the mall.

We stayed in the Washington Plaza, found the location ideal and couldn’t fault the hotel and it’s facilities either. We’re looking to go back this year and would happily stay in this hotel again.

I thought it was quite rough on a night like but possibly the most interesting place I’ve been to. Museums all ower.

I Didn't think It was too bad actually, shit loads of students about where I was but that was about it. Found a cracking little bar called the Brixton which seemed to be the best of the bunch I spent time in

Agree about the museums though. Wish I knew in advance but would have loved to have had a look around the Museum of African History but it had only just opened a few months before hand and you couldn't just turn up. Had to book tickets in advance at the time (2017).

Was only there a few days after a drive down from Baltimore but enjoyed seeing all the major tourist spots none the less

Back