Washing machine thermistor error - worth fixing?

Washing machines are so cheap now that it's hardly worth getting them repaired. If you can get 7 years out of a machine then it's done it's job plus more modern ones are more likely to have lower running costs.

Recently replaced my 10 year old one when the electric door lock kept jamming. I was happy to pay for delivery and removal of the old machine but I thought that asking for £40 to install the new one was taking the mick when it's a 5 minute job to do yourself. I'm the most clueless DIYer in the world yet I could work out where the water goes in, water comes and and how to plug it into the mains.

Washing machines are so cheap now that it's hardly worth getting them repaired. If you can get 7 years out of a machine then it's done it's job plus more modern ones are more likely to have lower running costs.

Recently replaced my 10 year old one when the electric door lock kept jamming. I was happy to pay for delivery and removal of the old machine but I thought that asking for £40 to install the new one was taking the mick when it's a 5 minute job to do yourself. I'm the most clueless DIYer in the world yet I could work out where the water goes in, water comes and and how to plug it into the mains.
AO wanted £50 to disconnect old machine, install new, take old one away.

I got free delivery by opting for Sunday 7am to 7pm slot but they text a delivery time by 8am.

Last edited:
AO wanted £50 to disconnect old machine, install new, take old one away.

I got free delivery by opting for Sunday 7am to 7pm slot but they text a delivery time by 8am.

Got mine from John Lewis and you could save a bit of money by doing the disconnect and new installation yourself. Think it was £20 for taking the old one away which is fair enough as it would be a faff to take it down to the tip yourself.

Got mine from John Lewis and you could save a bit of money by doing the disconnect and new installation yourself. Think it was £20 for taking the old one away which is fair enough as it would be a faff to take it down to the tip yourself.
Ours is up a flight of stairs, so well worth the installation and removal fee. He whinged that he even had to take the plug off and rewrite it because it wouldn’t fit through the hole we have to the plug hole, so I got my money’s worth.
You have young children don’t you ? Honestly at 7 years old it’s probably well on its last legs , I’d just replace it .
I did, and got an LG which has been brilliant so far.

Ours is up a flight of stairs, so well worth the installation and removal fee. He whinged that he even had to take the plug off and rewrite it because it wouldn’t fit through the hole we have to the plug hole, so I got my money’s worth.
Mine used to be the same in my old kitchen. They wouldn't touch the plug and I had to do it myself.

Just stuck mine outside. Went in less than 24 hours. Or ring a scrap man.

My last couple I got from the Argos Clearance centre in Stanley.
Got a washer/dryer for about £100 and a dryer for £50.
Both still running fine. If one breaks, I just drag it up the drive and go and get a new one from up there.

The only issue is getting it back if you don't have a biggish car.

My last couple I got from the Argos Clearance centre in Stanley.
Got a washer/dryer for about £100 and a dryer for £50.
Both still running fine. If one breaks, I just drag it up the drive and go and get a new one from up there.

The only issue is getting it back if you don't have a biggish car.

Look at me, huge car and huge drive.

If you are sure it is the thermistor then it might be worth having a go yourself. Plenty of youtube videos. Pop the back off, probably just a couple of screws and a connector, switch them over, back on again, all done.

I tend to use eSpares. Have a look for your washing machine model, and it will show what spares they have for it. Ranson Spares are good too. I think it was under £20 when I did mine. With next day delivery, it might be worth the gamble.

If you are sure it is the thermistor then it might be worth having a go yourself. Plenty of youtube videos. Pop the back off, probably just a couple of screws and a connector, switch them over, back on again, all done.

I tend to use eSpares. Have a look for your washing machine model, and it will show what spares they have for it. Ranson Spares are good too. I think it was under £20 when I did mine. With next day delivery, it might be worth the gamble.
He’s dead, Susan. X

This. And can vouch for espares.

We've changed the stats in Tumble dryers a number of times and its really not techy. BUT, we always knew we had pushed our luck with continuous running or there was a blockage in the vent pipe etc. With the washing machine you need to ask why did it blow/fail? Did you do something unusual with it. Like any 'fuse' going it tends to be for a reason.

Back