Was it really worth all the bother?

'Catholic majority possible' in NI by 2021

Hopefully it will remain relatively peaceful.

The British government always knew there’d eventually be a catholic majority in NI - as far back as the late 70s they were admitting as much to the Provos.

But a majority of people doesn’t necessarily mean there’ll be a united ireland - the way the election borders have been gerrymandered means there’ll likely always be a unionist presence in parliament.

'Catholic majority possible' in NI by 2021

Hopefully it will remain relatively peaceful.
Can't imagine why it wouldn't , I mean it's often been said on here simple "majority rule" so people shouldn't have a problem with a different majority .
Probably take another 25 years as the grey Unionists die of and the Catholic kids reach age of political majority.
There will be one hell of a party you can bet but let's hope they take all identities with them .

Doesn’t necessarily mean they will favour a united Ireland. Only quarter of Catholic citizens identified as Irish on the census. If you were that committed to union with the ROI you’d think that would be something you’d tick off.

If it ends up going that way and both sides of the border vote in favour then so be it.

I know loads of catholics in NI that favour the current setup. Security of being part of the UK but the freedom to be a citizen of ROI

Can't imagine why it wouldn't , I mean it's often been said on here simple "majority rule" so people shouldn't have a problem with a different majority .
Probably take another 25 years as the grey Unionists die of and the Catholic kids reach age of political majority.
There will be one hell of a party you can bet but let's hope they take all identities with them .

The problem over there is that the issue of ‘consent’ is written into things like the Good Friday Agreement - meaning nothing can change without the consent of the majority.

What that means in practice is that there’d have to be referenda in both NI and ROI (I assume) and there’s no political party in Britain that would go for that yet, I’d imagine.

However since the Brexit vote, there’s been a big increase in those supporting reunification.

Did a black cab tour in Belfast a few weeks back and the taxi driver was telling us that the young uns over there don’t really care if you’re catholic or Protestant. Reckons with a lot of them coming to the mainland for university, they are making friends from all over and not worrying about shit like that.

Did a black cab tour in Belfast a few weeks back and the taxi driver was telling us that the young uns over there don’t really care if you’re catholic or Protestant. Reckons with a lot of them coming to the mainland for university, they are making friends from all over and not worrying about shit like that.
Probably true of the type who go to university. I'd say in the socially deprived areas it's still ingrained.

I served with Ulster catholics in the '80s & '90s & was engaged to a catholic lass from near Derry. From what they told me most catholics weren't that bothered about the politics & just wanted to get on with their lives but a lot were intimidated by the provos. There was school of thought though that even if Ireland would re-unite the proddy paramilitaries would kick off so nothing would really change anyway.

I served with Ulster catholics in the '80s & '90s & was engaged to a catholic lass from near Derry. From what they told me most catholics weren't that bothered about the politics & just wanted to get on with their lives but a lot were intimidated by the provos. There was school of thought though that even if Ireland would re-unite the proddy paramilitaries would kick off so nothing would really change anyway.
I reckon that's a given.

Back