War of the Worlds (BBC)

Funny how a film or TV show is never just not very good because they haven't done a good job. It's not very good because it's too diverse
In fairness to the op it's a period piece. If set today of course it should b diverse but Victoria England was very white male dominated... like the book and Jeff Wayne excellent album
Funny how a film or TV show is never just not very good because they haven't done a good job. It's not very good because it's too diverse
In fairness to the op it's a period piece. If set today of course it should b diverse but Victoria England was very white male dominated... like the book and Jeff Wayne excellent album

Nathaniel was played by a mixed race Irish lad, and the artillery man by a lad with Romany gypsy heritage. Add Julie Covington to the mix and you’re starting to get a bit of diversity there.

Too diverse. That is such nonsense. There was one scene in particular where they have three middle aged white men all in senior military and governmental positions discussing what to do about the situation. They are all reacting to it in a stupid and blinkered way. The whip-smart young woman who has joined them puts them right. This scene and ones like it is being repeated across BBC dramas all the time, So often the heroes are all young, gutsy independent articulate and female and they all chat to the help like equals and are supportive of minority characters while the one-dimensional caricatures (usually older and usually white males) go round making everyone's life an utter misery. Totally implausible to anyone over the age of 12 and reinforcing its own stereotypes. Personally I know that women can be the cleverest people in the room and think it's good to challenge stereotypes in terms of race and gender etc which are derogatory. But the BBC sticks to this agenda everywhere for its own sake regardless of what a nonsense it makes of the piece. But you can't point this out as if you do you it must be against diversity per se.

Too diverse. That is such nonsense. There was one scene in particular where they have three middle aged white men all in senior military and governmental positions discussing what to do about the situation. They are all reacting to it in a stupid and blinkered way. The whip-smart young woman who has joined them puts them right. This scene and ones like it is being repeated across BBC dramas all the time, So often the heroes are all young, gutsy independent articulate and female and they all chat to the help like equals and are supportive of minority characters while the one-dimensional caricatures (usually older and usually white males) go round making everyone's life an utter misery. Totally implausible to anyone over the age of 12 and reinforcing its own stereotypes. Personally I know that women can be the cleverest people in the room and think it's good to challenge stereotypes in terms of race and gender etc which are derogatory. But the BBC sticks to this agenda everywhere for its own sake regardless of what a nonsense it makes of the piece. But you can't point this out as if you do you it must be against diversity per se.

Ok boomer

Nathaniel was played by a mixed race Irish lad, and the artillery man by a lad with Romany gypsy heritage. Add Julie Covington to the mix and you’re starting to get a bit of diversity there.
Voiced but if you check the art work its different. And no women were lead characters like the BBC series is said to have. I'm all for diversity in contemporary stories but not here.

Good post,

Voiced but if you check the art work its different. And no women were lead characters like the BBC series is said to have. I'm all for diversity in contemporary stories but not here.
by that logic you'd have beef with any Shakespeare play to allow females to play the female roles?

It's passable, and infinitely better than His Dark Materials. Although James Cosmo is probably the best actor across them both..

I'd agree with that. I thought episode 1 set things up okay but the dialogue in episode 2 has been shocking. "George!" "Amy!" "Amy!" "George!" and repeat... being relatively low budget doesn't help it either and nor does being broadcast after His Dark Materials, which is well acted, well written and has a decent budget behind it.
Thought they'd paid a fortune for all the CGI? I love the special effects but the whole thing is so light on actual story that it doesn't hold together as a show. Nothing (apart from the Secretary of State for War getting gassed) showing about how the government had collapsed or who got the navy to evacuate civilians from beaches.

Perhaps they had to edit it to pieces to meet cost overrun or because the CGI was so overdue (I have read about this but am buggered if I can remember where)? Maybe WotW was supposed to have been shown from late September, but you are right about the comparison of this bastardised version of War of the Worlds with His Dark Materials.

I’m enjoying War of the Worlds (for what it is) and His Dark Materials is ok but not necessarily my cup of tea.

I’m reasonably ‘woke’ (I use the phrase to avoid huge explanation and to irritate those who get irritated by such things) combined with being a grumpy old bugger With avv V tendency to rant. That is : average. I don’t get why people are getting their knickers in a twist about the characters in this being presented as being, to a large extent, ‘of their time’ whilst the writers ALSO present the story with a modern perspective on what that means. It happens ALL the time and HAS happened since drama existed. The reason we notice is because we’ve become accustomed to, oh I don’t know... Hollywood presenting John Wayne and whichever swarthy actor was playing Cochise in a particular way. For example.

I wasn’t bothered by it. To the extent that I didn’t notice it that much. Maybe I’m not that precious about these things. Whatever.

I try to avoid noticing plot holes too much as it spoils things for the missus.

Last edited by a moderator:

Back