War of the Worlds (BBC)

Think Wells was a visionary, but found this book to be a little dull.
At it's heart it is just a basic disaster/survivalist type tale with a woke up and it was all a dream ending.

I’m not sure the BBC PC criticism applies here; the book was a satire/critique of colonialism. The real problem is that in my eyes it’s badly written and over-acted.

I'd agree with that. I thought episode 1 set things up okay but the dialogue in episode 2 has been shocking. "George!" "Amy!" "Amy!" "George!" and repeat... being relatively low budget doesn't help it either and nor does being broadcast after His Dark Materials, which is well acted, well written and has a decent budget behind it.

It's killed an hour, but no more than that. It's cost a fortune anarl. I'd rather they spent the money on 2-3 good dramas rather than a series whose only narrative seems to be people in tweed endlessly running away from CGI tripods.

I think it’s alright. Nowt flash but decent Sunday night viewing. The future/flash back bits were interesting in the first episode but slightly irritating in the second.

I was pretty excited to see a version set during the period it was written but it's fallen flat for me. Despite its supposed era, it feels far too modern. I lost interest during this episode.
The period isn't correct, the book is late Victorian, this version is Edwardian.

I think the issue is the unnecessary love triangle sub plot - why?

The period isn't correct, the book is late Victorian, this version is Edwardian.

I think the issue is the unnecessary love triangle sub plot - why?

In fairness, there's only a gap of 5 or 6 years between the date of publication and the date they've set it in and most adaptations have altered the era and/or location.

Caught the second episode last night having missed the first one.

It was too earnest and pedestrian and was a bit forgettable. This is a shame, because they could have done so much more, particularly with the equality of cast they had assembled.

No one would have believed, the last years of the Nineteenth Century, so ginger tart would be dein Richard Burton's job. :rolleyes:
Was going to watch this when I’d finished with His Dark Materials (which I’m hugely enjoying). I’ll not bother now.
Been alright, if a tad slow. Having not read the books I find some of it a tad baffling. Anly realised last night she was calling awld Mormont Farder and not Father Coram.

Last edited:
Think Wells was a visionary, but found this book to be a little dull.
At it's heart it is just a basic disaster/survivalist type tale with a woke up and it was all a dream ending.
It’s a social commentary at heart. The storyline is an invasion/survival tale.

I’ve given it a go but not impressed.
same here, half way through last nights i just didnt care and hoped the martians would just wipe everyone out, permanently.
The actor who played the artillery man who George was travelling with for a while also played Dudley Dursley in the Harry Potter films. He's changed a bit!
he had a busy night, he was also in his dark materials playing the magisterium's customs officer...

Last edited:

Back