Walking

You've gained a lb since this thread. If you want to lose weight you need to stop consuming too many calories.
It’s difficult lost 2 stone
bad health prevents to much excesise
I try and watch my diet but I’m not going to give up most things
I still drink but not as much as I did

When you get to my age with health problems
then you can say that
Vince ,IMO, weight loss is essentially a simple maths situation of more energy out than in. There are variables to what the balance should look like and the make-up of energy in, and the way you push energy out - but the overall equation for weight loss remains fundamental.

Have you had a frank conversation with yourself about how much of a priority losing weight is, and made a judgement as to what you're prepared to do? It may be less calories in, it may be more energy out and it might be a case of making a significant compromise somewhere...or it may just not really be that important to you.

Either way it seems to me at the minute your weight loss is a "should" rather than a "must" and as long as it stays that way you'll be up against it.

It is very difficult I’ve lost 2 stone and kept it off for nearly 3 Years
i do watch what I eat and walk most days 4/5 miles
other than stopping drinking and cutting out all extras
I do not over indulge and make an effort
I’m not healthy enough to to do excersise
What's holding you back? Daveydavey has summed it up.
I have no body flexibility
it’s only my diet that keeps the weight off
and I try

Last edited:

and I try
Try yoga? Log your calories using my fitness pal app.

and I try

I understand completely sometimes it can be an effort to just get out of bed sometimes. Yoga has been suggested but from my own experience I simply don't have the flexibility to attempt yoga without pain.

I appreciate everyone is trying to be helpful but ultimately its down to Vince to decide what he can and can't do based on his health and of course his determination to lose weight through calorie reduction which will probably be his only way due to his decreased mobility.

I will say when you are struggling somedays food is your comfort as everything else just hurts.

Good luck Vince. 👍

thank you you are correct
in my case it looks like it’s down to less calorie intake

Unfortunately like me it has to be. Walking 4-5 miles is excellent don't get me wrong but think of that as an extra. Losing weight when like me you have bad health is simply a case of calories. Yes it's a pain but you will never ever do it by exercise alone.

I use my fitness app and it's great for you to set your targets and keep an eye on things but if you have health problems see your Dr first or at least talk to them. The NHS website is also good.

Join the diet thread on here but first things first decide if you really want to do it if you start half hearted it won't work then talk to your Dr.

Good luck. 👍

I made better progress when I reverted to 30 minutes quick walking rather than the 10k steps. I do though when time allows inputmy 30 minutes brisk walking into a much longer hike!

Did 10,000 steps day yesterday for the first time in a few weeks. I've been managing 7-8,000 with a walk around the estate but 10k takes a couple of walks each day

Until a few years ago I use to be able to do 15,000 steps a day without even trying as my job involved a lot of walking around but now I'm desk based and at home I can sometimes fail to do a few hundred.

Back