Walking to get blokes talking - SAFC V Stoke

Thank you everyone for all the kind messages.

We will be releasing some more specific timings this week. Hopefully get as many of us there as possible.
Cracking idea this, id be Interested. Lost a very good mate a few years back. Nobody had any idea he was struggling.
Sorry to hear mate. Please feel free to come along, be nice to meet you.

Class, this.

I’ve taken up walking (that sounds stupid but you get what I mean) recently. I had an hour around a local nature reserve on Saturday morning, which was quiet and spent about ten minutes in a hide in peace. Went out on Sunday with the Mrs through the forest, too.

Saturday was great, I didn’t feel all that well but an hour wandering made me feel much better and on Sunday the Mrs shared some stuff about the counselling she’s had since her dad passed, so it’s really beneficial.

Downloaded an app that has some decent local walks on and I’m planning a couple in the coming weeks.

I’m at the opposite end of the country but I’d be there if I could. Hope it goes well.

Sounds brilliant.
The more we can get talking the better. Being outside and walking is one of the best free and easy boosts for mental health there is.
Looking forward to the details of the route and will aim to get there for the start. Hope you can get the police onside to help out at the road crossings along the way.
Some details on parking around Mariners Park would be great for people wanting to leave cars at the start. I will probably leave the car at Sunderland and bus or metro across to Shields.

Hello everyone,

Just wanted to spread the word on here to hopefully get some of you on board.

This year, we will be undertaking a campaign called 'Walking To Get Blokes Talking’, Where we will be hosting walks throughout the year, to support men and encourage them to seek help.

So, on March 4th we will be walking from Mariners Park, the home of South Shields FC, all the way to the SoL, home of the lads.

The walk is open to everyone and we encourage you to bring your partners, dogs, dads, uncles, whoever, to join us.

The walk is going to be a huge show of solidarity to any men out there who attend the match or otherwise and who're having a hard time, removing the stigma of talking about their mental health and hopefully, get some people the help they need. We want this to be a huge show of support from the footballing community, so lads and lasses, please join us!

I’m trying to put Sunderland on the map for our community helping to sort the suicide crisis we currently face up here. I’m sure you will all have seen the emergency services on the bridge 4 times last week.

As a little reminder, suicide is the biggest killer of men under 49, the most at risk age bracket is 45-49.

It’ll be a good walk, plenty laughs and lots of red and white. We will be arriving at the SoL for between 2 & half past. What a show of solidarity it would be to any lads out there suffering, to see their whole community out in support.

Hopefully see you all there. HWTL
Do you have a Facebook page for this. Thanks.

+1 for talking. It’s 12 years now since we lost our daughter to suicide. Every Christmas since I would stuff my feelings and soldier on. This year I couldn’t do it anymore and started having weird and unhealthy thoughts. I finally got the nerve to say to our lass “I’m f***ing sad and it just won’t lift.”
Mind that she’s in the same mental position as myself so I wasn’t expecting much. She sat and let me ramble and it was extremely mentally cleansing.
This advice that’s being given to speak is very solid advice. Best of health to all involved. God bless you.

Do you have a Facebook page for this. Thanks.
Yes we do mate.

That’s the link to the post.
Sounds brilliant.
The more we can get talking the better. Being outside and walking is one of the best free and easy boosts for mental health there is.
Looking forward to the details of the route and will aim to get there for the start. Hope you can get the police onside to help out at the road crossings along the way.
Some details on parking around Mariners Park would be great for people wanting to leave cars at the start. I will probably leave the car at Sunderland and bus or metro across to Shields.
Great point, I’ve been in contact with the club so hoping they can provide that for us but will get back one I know either way. We’re looking at alternatives in the meantime too.
+1 for talking. It’s 12 years now since we lost our daughter to suicide. Every Christmas since I would stuff my feelings and soldier on. This year I couldn’t do it anymore and started having weird and unhealthy thoughts. I finally got the nerve to say to our lass “I’m f***ing sad and it just won’t lift.”
Mind that she’s in the same mental position as myself so I wasn’t expecting much. She sat and let me ramble and it was extremely mentally cleansing.
This advice that’s being given to speak is very solid advice. Best of health to all involved. God bless you.
That is heartbreaking to hear mate, really is. Can’t imagine how that must feel. Amazing to hear though you’ve opened up about it, communicating has a massive impact on your health, I know it did with me.
This is meant genuinely, presumably women/partners etc can pop along too? Or is it a man-only affair? Either is great - just checking
Absolutely anybody can come matey.

Last edited:
Yes we do mate.

That’s the link to the post.

Great point, I’ve been in contact with the club so hoping they can provide that for us but will get back one I know either way. We’re looking at alternatives in the meantime too.

That is heartbreaking to hear mate, really is. Can’t imagine how that must feel. Amazing to hear though you’ve opened up about it, communicating has a massive impact on your health, I know it did with me.

Absolutely anybody can come matey.
They can go in the lounge but not the bar

Hello everyone,

This year, we will be undertaking a campaign called 'Walking To Get Blokes Talking’, Where we will be hosting walks throughout the year, to support men and encourage them to seek help.

So, on March 4th we will be walking from Mariners Park, the home of South Shields FC, all the way to the SoL, home of the lads.

The walk is open to everyone and we encourage you to bring your partners, dogs, dads, uncles, whoever, to join us.

The walk is going to be a huge show of solidarity to any men out there who attend the match or otherwise and who're having a hard time, removing the stigma of talking about their mental health and hopefully, get some people the help they need. We want this to be a huge show of support from the footballing community, so lads and lasses, please join us!

I’m trying to put Sunderland on the map for our community helping to sort the suicide crisis we currently face up here. I’m sure you will all have seen the emergency services on the bridge 4 times last week.

As a little reminder, suicide is the biggest killer of men under 49, the most at risk age bracket is 45-49.

It’ll be a good walk, plenty laughs and lots of red and white. We will be arriving at the SoL for between 2 & half past. What a show of solidarity it would be to any lads out there suffering, to see their whole community out in support.

Great to see this initiative. Helpful to so many people, not just those taking the walk either.

Have you checked out the date though marra. Looks like at least Stoke are plaŷing FA cup matches that weekend (hopefully us too) so the league fixture will be cancelled.
Edit. Just seen FA cup matches played midweek so may go ahead. Sorry

Last edited:
Hello everyone,

Class idea mate

Great to see this initiative. Helpful to so many people, not just those taking the walk either.

Have you checked out the date though marra. Looks like at least Stoke are plaŷing FA cup matches that weekend (hopefully us too) so the league fixture will be cancelled.
Edit. Just seen FA cup matches played midweek so may go ahead. Sorry

I’m hoping we don’t get put on the tele for the Stoke game! Otherwise we should be a goer.

Another just wanting to say thank you to those organizing as well as those going along.

If anyone is reading this who feels like going along might help them, but something is holding you back. please try to put that hesitancy to one side and give it a go. You've nowt to lose and possibly everything to gain.

Loss holds you in its grip for sure, from experience talking and meeting people totally unrelated pulls you away from unhealthy thoughts....we all look at ourselves and apportion blame, that
is for our creator to judge, whatever you believe is true

Looking like SAFC v Stoke isn’t going to be televised next month, we’ve both been given two games and so it’s looking good for March 4th.

We will be posting more details in the coming days.
Excellent stuff mate.

Genuinely considering coming along for this. I'm a canny listener but will also likely talk the lugs off one or two, but I guess that's the whole point.

Will check back on the thread regularly.

Excellent stuff mate.

Genuinely considering coming along for this. I'm a canny listener but will also likely talk the lugs off one or two, but I guess that's the whole point.

Will check back on the thread regularly.
Great stuff mate, please do come along. Lots of people coming “on their own” for the walk. Although the whole point is we will all be having a bit crack with each other.

Be great to have you there. Will be releasing the timings etc soon, just wanted to hold off a little while Incase Stoke game got put on tv!

Hello everyone,

Evening lads & lasses.

As an update, we will be leaving for our walk at 11:45 am on Saturday March 4th for our walk. So for those who are joining, aim to get there in good time. Our team will be there from around 11am however if people were to arrive early.

It would be fantastic to see as many of you there with us as possible. We managed to get a slot on BBC Radio Newcastle yesterday to talk about it with Barnesy & Benno who both seemed really interested.

For those travelling by public transport, you can get the metro to Bede, and it’s just round the corner from there. If you’re travelling from Sunderland way, you need to get off at Pelaw and switch for South Shields metro.

Alternatively, there’s a few seats spare in our car if needs be!

Thanks again for all your support lads, let’s make this a day to remember for anyone having a hard time. They need our support and I hope this gesture will go a long way.

Evening lads & lasses.

As an update, we will be leaving for our walk at 11:45 am on Saturday March 4th for our walk. So for those who are joining, aim to get there in good time. Our team will be there from around 11am however if people were to arrive early.

It would be fantastic to see as many of you there with us as possible. We managed to get a slot on BBC Radio Newcastle yesterday to talk about it with Barnesy & Benno who both seemed really interested.

For those travelling by public transport, you can get the metro to Bede, and it’s just round the corner from there. If you’re travelling from Sunderland way, you need to get off at Pelaw and switch for South Shields metro.

Alternatively, there’s a few seats spare in our car if needs be!

Thanks again for all your support lads, let’s make this a day to remember for anyone having a hard time. They need our support and I hope this gesture will go a long way.
This is a great thing you're doing. Hope it goes well.

Back