Walking boots

I have only worn them on dog walks so far but they are very comfortable. Don't think there will be a breaking in period, as such. Suitably impressed so far.
I went to my local independent walking shop, i took my old Scarpa's and said i'd like something similar. He brought our some merrells, some berghaus, some zamberlan and the oboz. The oboz won hands down, he also had a pair on

Now that I've found the thread :oops:..........would it be a case of hiking boots or would 'shoes' suffice for walking the West Highland Way?
Shoes. Boots are too heavy.
Need some decent grip, there's a load of slippery rock climb up north of Rowardennan.
Oh and for fuck's sake take a midge face net. And thank me later. It's f***ing rife. :lol:

Shoes. Boots are too heavy.
Need some decent grip, there's a load of slippery rock climb up north of Rowardennan.
Oh and for fuck's sake take a midge face net. And thank me later. It's f***ing rife. :lol:

I'd disagree slightly with the boots part as my Timberlands arnt heavy at all and I love them.
I cant agree enough about the midge face net though. If you catch them on a bad day it's unbearable :lol:

Boots for me everytime, plenty lightweight waterproof boots on the market, the first bit of boggy ground and your feet will be wet in shoes, oh and yes a midge net, just make sure you get a midge net and not a mozzi net

I'd disagree slightly with the boots part as my Timberlands arnt heavy at all and I love them.
I cant agree enough about the midge face net though. If you catch them on a bad day it's unbearable :lol:
I think it's each to their own in regarding the footwear. I liked my ankles to have a bit of room as some of the climbs are a bit awkward with a backpack.:lol:
But aye, we got eaten alive going up there, worst place in Scotland and that's saying something.:lol:

I went to my local independent walking shop, i took my old Scarpa's and said i'd like something similar. He brought our some merrells, some berghaus, some zamberlan and the oboz. The oboz won hands down, he also had a pair on

Just bought a pair of Sawtooth at the weekend from Reynolds (shop local people). Haven't tried them in anger yet but they felt really comfortable.

I think it's each to their own in regarding the footwear. I liked my ankles to have a bit of room as some of the climbs are a bit awkward with a backpack.:lol:
But aye, we got eaten alive going up there, worst place in Scotland and that's saying something.:lol:
I've not walked the WHW but anything with a climb and/or rocky terrain at all I'll wear the boots for the ankle support. Me ankles are pretty weak after about 500 injuries over the years. I don't find them heavy either so even just for peace of mind I'll wear them. Wear my shoes for lower level walks with the kids and that.

I’ve worn Scarpa for years, they cannot be faulted in my view
I had a pair of Scarpa leather boots, got about 10 years of use out of them but if I'd looked after them properly I could have had more. I loved them, so comfortable and sturdy. I used them to walk the dog each day, got them plastered in mud then put them in my porch in direct sunlight. The leather dried out, got a few cracks and contracted away from the sole. I was sad to throw them out.

Replaced them with another pair and I'm just as happy. They are now kept for real walking and not the daily trudge around the field, they are kept in a cool dark place and are cleaned & waxed regularly.

Well worth looking after a decent set of boots and I'd always recommend Scarpa.

I had a pair of Scarpa leather boots, got about 10 years of use out of them but if I'd looked after them properly I could have had more. I loved them, so comfortable and sturdy. I used them to walk the dog each day, got them plastered in mud then put them in my porch in direct sunlight. The leather dried out, got a few cracks and contracted away from the sole. I was sad to throw them out.

Replaced them with another pair and I'm just as happy. They are now kept for real walking and not the daily trudge around the field, they are kept in a cool dark place and are cleaned & waxed regularly.

Well worth looking after a decent set of boots and I'd always recommend Scarpa.
I use hide food on mine probably too much but they look quite new even tho they are at least 15 years old

My new ones are coming Tomorrow. Think I’ll gan down the dene to test them out :lol:
Perv
I got salamon but they are a weird fit
Normally 10s but had to take them back to cotswold twice as they seemed too small and ended up with 12s
Now I feel like claude hopper
Timberland for knocking around
Bargain for ÂŁ37 normally ÂŁ129 in Edinburgh shop
Really comfortable

nice pic...
Just had my new Soloman GTX shoes on for the first time , quick 4 mile walk , like a pair of slippaz.
on my second pair in 12 months, bought them just after first lockdown and another pair just a few weeks ago,
Living in Ambleside during lockdowns is great, lots of peaceful serene walking and cycling, back to it now tho

Last edited:

Back