VW Campervan’s

Five of us chipped in £200 each and bought a Bedford CF crewbus and went to Italia 90. Sold it for £1200 when we got back and cancelled the insurance (the first instalment hadn't even come out so it was effectively free).
4 of us bought an Eldis tornado caravan for a grand and took it to euro 2004. Plan was to try and sell it there but nobody wanted it so we just drove home without it and left it there.

They are the pointless wheels of the middle aged hipster who have Gary Glitter beards,wrap around shades,silver skull jewellery-and wear jeans that hang off their arses.

Just live and let live man. The same people you're deriding will be pissing themselves laughing at the Juliet balcony and island. FWIW, I'm not. We all want/like different things.

We had one when I was a kid, as one of six kids it was the only way me Dad could get us away on holiday.
Used to go camping with it most weekends ( along with canvas tent and trailer)
Had some great holidays in Cornwall and one of my lasting memories when he packed us all up and took us for a three week tour of Europe. Not many pit kids experienced iwt like that in the early seventies.
The van was also used as the crew bus for the 85 cup final by me and by me Dad in 73.
Sold it for scrap value early noughties. Would be worth a pretty penny now.
Never had second gear for about the last twenty years of it's existence.😅
Great stuff, good memories !, remember going down to Devon & Cornwall as kids in some right rough old motors, basically all my dad could afford..... 👍

I’ve fancied getting one for a few years. Checked our prices recently and that scared me off a bit. I’m based in Switzerland so it was €80–100k for one in good condition. I could go back to the UK for one but I want a LHD.

For those that have them do they need constant maintenance? I’m clueless (and hate) anything like that.

There is only the 3 of us and my son is 4 so we don’t need loads of space. We’re in great location to head off for weekends and longer trips across Switzerland, Italy, Croatia or France and Spain. I’d love an Airstream caravan but this sounds like the ideal way to do it.
All depends on what you get. Get an old splitty from thr 70s and aye. I've a T6 which so far has needed nothing. Service it regularly.

Always fancied one but couldn’t justify £30k on a van that is cramped to sleep in with no toilets etc
The other option is a full on motor home which won’t get used enough

So it’s an idea that doesn’t fit in with what I need.
Pop up shower tent with a portable chemical toilet in it.
Obviously doubles up as a shower (solar showes work quite well)

Pop up shower tent with a portable chemical toilet in it.
Obviously doubles up as a shower (solar showes work quite well)
For quick one nighters on camp sites I just use a sun canopy attached to awning rail and pop up shower tent to store stuff. And during covid where toilets were shut had a porta potti. Works great and takes up no room. The drive away awning I have is great but does take up room.

Back