• Cook - Old railway line

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • ThankHeavenForShed7 - Dreaming of Old England C&C

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

I've gone for Clyde and Hully2000 this month.

Most if not all of the winners so far have been landscapes/objects/shots that are 'set up'. Both of these shots are absolutely delightful candids/portraits and I really hope that one of these two win.

I love the character in Clyde's shot and the image really gets the mind going about what this guy's story might be.

Hully2000's is a stunning documentary photograph (possibly the most powerful and emotive 'genre' of photography in my opinion). It's a beautiful, well taken image and I just love the look of joy on the boy's face. It really captures the innocence of childhood.

Special mentions this month for:
Spavin - a really nice, clean image with a cool story
Lucky Knickers - great idea and I love the treatment
Helmet - really love the picture, not sure how it fits teh theme, otherwise it may have got a vote from me.

Should have noted on mine that c&c is welcome (had no idea what it meant :oops:).

I went for Superkev and Hully. Loads of cracking photos to choose from but they stood out the most for me.

A tough theme this month, but some interesting interpretations nevertheless.

Fewer entries this month than usual, so I've voted for 2 rather than my usual 3.

Hully - a beautiful shot, and one that make me think back to the days when I used to pay footy for hours on end. And as Hully suggests, it doesn't seem to happen so much anymore. I really liked clyde's portrait too, but this one edged it for me as I could relate to it more.

janiep - Really liked this one, plenty of different ways to interpret it. For me, and without wanting to sound too wanky (;)), I read it as a juxtaposition between a glorious, romantic moment is a bygone age of football, and today's corporate and sanitised game. Good job. And if you really wanted to overanalyse it, the confused expression of the chap in the centre seems to say "how did we get here?" - if you really want to overanalyse it...

There were some other great shots, but they were the two that most appealed. fwiw I loved the look of MaDMaCKeM's so much that I went off and ordered a welding filter after seeing it.

Thanks Spav! For me I was very struck by the difference between Mr P and I standing there looking at a really very nice representation of our Club's most glorious moment, and the two Londoners, two black Londoners if I may say so, serving, and I remember wondering which cultural reference points we had in common (probably quite a lot actually as modern Londoners ) and which we did not.

One of the few continuities between Wembley in May 1973 and Wembley in August 2010 is that the menu probably hasn't changed: a pie and a pint, that's your lot.

For me, I voted for Amnorrageordie because I thought it was a simple, classic shot of a great subject (and I mean "simple" in a complimentary way). Hully came close to getting a vote, and I was intrigued by Peachbum's, and would like to know more about it.

fwiw I loved the look of MaDMaCKeM's so much that I went off and ordered a welding filter after seeing it.

Cheers mate, I discovered the look after becoming a member of talkphotograhy forums, got a glass off a welder at work about two months ago and only just got to use it.

thread is http://www.talkphotography.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=152480 lots of tips on usage, setting white balance, and fitting to the lens! I used a cokin 58mm adapter ring and superglue. Much cheaper than a 10stop nd filter and there are some amazing results.

I voted on four or five, cant remember but clydes old man and hullys kids really stood out for me.

One for Superev and one for Clyde from me. As an ex miner myself it really is bygone times looking at Superevs. Clyde, a nicely spotted candid.

By the way, nice to see some shots of people (Clyde, Hully) this month.

I meant close ups/portraits :roll:. Jesus, I give up if people are going to be this touchy.

I don't consider yours as a properly composed, direct photograph of a person. It appears to be a photograph of a photograph. By the way, I think it's terrible. I wouldn't normally be so direct, but frankly I don't like getting a ":evil:" for not mentioning you and since you seem so pissed off about it, there's my true opinion.

I meant close ups/portraits . Jesus, I give up if people are going to be this touchy.

I don't consider yours as a properly composed, direct photograph of a person. It appears to be a photograph of a photograph. By the way, I think it's terrible. I wouldn't normally be so direct, but frankly I don't like getting a ":evil:" for not mentioning you and since you seem so pissed off about it, there's my true opinion.
:lol: Woops. I knew I should have put a :) with the :evil:. A failing of the internet, subtlety there is none. I didn't mind at all that you hadn't mentioned my name! I suppose I had hummed and herred so long about posting a picture of people (that I knew), so when I read your post I quickly posted a "mad". It was quick and lighthearted and nothing more than that.

Sorry if I offended you.

Fair enough. May I ask why it is terrible?

Last edited:
Thanks for your explanation Peachy, let me first say that you're one of the people I have been glad to get to know via the SMB, I've got a lot of liking and respect for you, and for your photography :).

Right, I thought it was "terrible" on the assumption that it's a photo of a photo. In which case, I thought it was lazy. If my underlying assumption is wrong, then I apologise. For what it's worth, Peachmum looks like a babe, and you at that age look like you have every chance of taking after her, so I conclude that the ladies of the Peach family are a good looking lot.

Here are my thoughts, comments and reasons for voting. Please take in good faith as ever!

Cook - meets theme well, definitely looks like something that was used in the past and not so much today. The photo seems too bright on the left, and could perhaps have come out better if taken at a different time of day.
Theme 1, Photo 0.

Hauser's Helmet - I like this photo, but not 100% sure it meets the theme, maybe it means something re bygone times to people who know it. VHS??
Photo 1, theme 0

Mine - I found meeting the theme quite hard. There are lots of old buildings here, but they are all used currently, so didn't think they met "bygone". I have this old picture of me with my mum on the beach. The original photo is black and white and about 2.5cm by 1.5cm. I found it really hard to photograph being so small. I also wanted the woman looking out to sea on the right and the man in his suit to the left as they were the main characters indicating bygone times. I had to really experiment with the zoom, as most of the photos I took only had one or the other of the characters and not both. I know the original photograph was taken by someone else many years ago, but the entry I put in the competition was definitely my photo. (Also cropped at bottom to remove photographer's shadow, and altered in picnik to give a little warmth).

Amnorrageordie - I like this entry, it has a lovely quality to it, is it digital or film? I think it meets the theme pretty well, even though you still see these trains today. I would have preferred to have seen a slightly bluer sky to set off the steam. :) I am not sure whether you would have been able to, but a slightly more side on view of the train would have given more train and less of the clutter. Theme 1 Photo 1 (vote)

Clyde - If this was a "grab" shot, it is very good. I think this is your best entry in the competition. The nose and shirt are a bit too white, but I'm probably just being picky. I would like to know why the man was dressed as he was. Photo 1, theme 1 (vote)

Mercia Blackcat - As ever a very good photgraph, but for me it is "boring". Photos have to grab and hold your attention and yours doesn't (sorry). Is it the green, the dark shape thing, not sure. Photo 0, theme 1.

Madmackem - See Mercia Blackcat. Photo 0, theme 1

Not Spavin
- I love the colours of the sky and of the campervan, beautiful. However there is too much grey foreground - get in closer! I don't really think it meets the theme. Photo 1 (for the colours), theme 0.

Janiep - as ever an original entry from you. I do look forward to seeing your entries. This month though it just misses for me as it is a bit busy. I didn't actually know what it was on first sighting. The theme is just wrong though! :) SAFC winning things is in the future! Photo 1 (originality), theme 0.

SuperKev - Photo of the month for me - beautiful composition, the leaves in the top right just soften the picture too. Photo 2, theme 1 (vote).

Hully2000 - Beautiful photograph, very well taken, I would be very pleased to have taken that photograph. I don't think it meets the theme even though I understand your thought processes. Photo 2, theme 0

Lucky knickers - A very good entry! Is that positive enough:). See also my comment on theme in Janiep above. But having said that, your title and the inclusion of the old rattle means it meets the theme for me. What does the writing say? I wouldn't have minded entering your picture myself. Photo 1, theme 1. (vote)

Robcal - A bit of a grab shot? Just misses for me. I am assuming it is of the Orient Express? Why didn't you photograph the outside?? It's beautiful isn't it? Enter again next month ! Photo 0. theme 1.

Cartman - I love the old building. I would have gone down to it and maybe stood inside and photographed from there. It is a bit small in the picture. Photo 0 theme 1

Thankheavenforshed7 - Not up to your usual high standards this month. What is the orange light ball in the bottom left? I would personally say it doesn't meet the theme, as I know loads of places like that now BUT for you, living in Canada, it may well meet the theme. Photo 0, theme 1 (for you).

Thanks for your explanation Peachy, let me first say that you're one of the people I have been glad to get to know via the SMB, I've got a lot of liking and respect for you, and for your photography :).

Right, I thought it was "terrible" on the assumption that it's a photo of a photo. In which case, I thought it was lazy. If my underlying assumption is wrong, then I apologise. For what it's worth, Peachmum looks like a babe, and you at that age look like you have every chance of taking after her, so I conclude that the ladies of the Peach family are a good looking lot.

Thank you.

(Just as an aside, your photo is of a photo! :);))

Here are my thoughts, comments and reasons for voting. Please take in good faith as ever!

Thankheavenforshed7 - Not up to your usual high standards this month. What is the orange light ball in the bottom left? I would personally say it doesn't meet the theme, as I know loads of places like that now BUT for you, living in Canada, it may well meet the theme. Photo 0, theme 1 (for you).

Cheers for the comments! The orange light ball is the sun reflecting in the lake.

I know it's a poor effort from me this month. It's been an outrageously busy summer and I've been moving house this month as well. I was very conscious of the fact that I hadn't entered last month so at the last minute I just legged it around the corner at took that. I wanted to enter something and that's all I had!

Hopefully this month I'll have way more time to devote to the competition (and photography in general, which I have totally neglected over the summer).

Not Spavin
- I love the colours of the sky and of the campervan, beautiful. However there is too much grey foreground - get in closer! I don't really think it meets the theme. Photo 1 (for the colours), theme 0.

I actually have versions with less foreground, but preferred this composition - thought it made sense to show the road that it's the end of, and have that leading the eye to the subject. Dunno like, not really mad on this photo, took it as a back up and shot a load on film, but none of them were much cop either.

You're right though, it's a very tenuous link to the theme, haven't really been happy with my last few entries really. Hopefully I can get my arse into gear this month, kind of lost my mojo. Been an age since I took a shot that I was really happy with.

Cook - meets theme well, definitely looks like something that was used in the past and not so much today. The photo seems too bright on the left, and could perhaps have come out better if taken at a different time of day.
Theme 1, Photo 0.

Hauser's Helmet - I like this photo, but not 100% sure it meets the theme, maybe it means something re bygone times to people who know it. VHS??
Photo 1, theme 0

Mine - I found meeting the theme quite hard. There are lots of old buildings here, but they are all used currently, so didn't think they met "bygone". I have this old picture of me with my mum on the beach. The original photo is black and white and about 2.5cm by 1.5cm. I found it really hard to photograph being so small. I also wanted the woman looking out to sea on the right and the man in his suit to the left as they were the main characters indicating bygone times. I had to really experiment with the zoom, as most of the photos I took only had one or the other of the characters and not both. I know the original photograph was taken by someone else many years ago, but the entry I put in the competition was definitely my photo. (Also cropped at bottom to remove photographer's shadow, and altered in picnik to give a little warmth).

Amnorrageordie - I like this entry, it has a lovely quality to it, is it digital or film? I think it meets the theme pretty well, even though you still see these trains today. I would have preferred to have seen a slightly bluer sky to set off the steam. :) I am not sure whether you would have been able to, but a slightly more side on view of the train would have given more train and less of the clutter. Theme 1 Photo 1 (vote)

Clyde - If this was a "grab" shot, it is very good. I think this is your best entry in the competition. The nose and shirt are a bit too white, but I'm probably just being picky. I would like to know why the man was dressed as he was. Photo 1, theme 1 (vote)

Mercia Blackcat - As ever a very good photgraph, but for me it is "boring". Photos have to grab and hold your attention and yours doesn't (sorry). Is it the green, the dark shape thing, not sure. Photo 0, theme 1.

Madmackem - See Mercia Blackcat. Photo 0, theme 1

Not Spavin

Janiep - as ever an original entry from you. I do look forward to seeing your entries. This month though it just misses for me as it is a bit busy. I didn't actually know what it was on first sighting. The theme is just wrong though! :) SAFC winning things is in the future! Photo 1 (originality), theme 0.

SuperKev - Photo of the month for me - beautiful composition, the leaves in the top right just soften the picture too. Photo 2, theme 1 (vote).

Hully2000 - Beautiful photograph, very well taken, I would be very pleased to have taken that photograph. I don't think it meets the theme even though I understand your thought processes. Photo 2, theme 0

Lucky knickers - A very good entry! Is that positive enough:). See also my comment on theme in Janiep above. But having said that, your title and the inclusion of the old rattle means it meets the theme for me. What does the writing say? I wouldn't have minded entering your picture myself. Photo 1, theme 1. (vote)

Robcal - A bit of a grab shot? Just misses for me. I am assuming it is of the Orient Express? Why didn't you photograph the outside?? It's beautiful isn't it? Enter again next month ! Photo 0. theme 1.

Cartman - I love the old building. I would have gone down to it and maybe stood inside and photographed from there. It is a bit small in the picture. Photo 0 theme 1

Cheers PB, I would have got closer but it had to go down a cliff to get that close, my wife couldn't watch :lol: I know it's pretty crap but I just couldn't go a month without hoying one up.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back