VOTING - "Then and Now" (March and April 22 competition)

Please vote for the two entries you feel meet the theme the best

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks for entering everybody .........Please now vote for your favourite photographs.
Voting lasts for seven days.
The winner will go forward to the photograph of the year competition.
You can vote for up to two entries - please take into account how well the theme was met.

Theme:
Go to your local historical archive, library, or the internet and find some old pictures of your town. See if you can find roads, buildings, or other structures that still exist today.
Then try to recreate the scene, but obviously it will be the "Now" version in 2022

Try to match the shot as best you can.

Entries can be seen here

Good luck to all!

@macum1920 s pictures shows how change can very often be for the worst. The old picture of Aycliffe looks a much more pleasant environment than the new. We have to welcome change though.
I found looking at old pictures fascinating, spent ages looking at old buildings now long gone (bomb damage from 2nd world war in a lot of cases). A lot of the new isn't as good as the old imho.

I found looking at old pictures fascinating, spent ages looking at old buildings now long gone (bomb damage from 2nd world war in a lot of cases). A lot of the new isn't as good as the old imho.

I wondered why there was a wide strip of wooded area between our street and the next street. Had a good look on old maps and discovered the shafts for Urpeth Busty colliery were sunk there and there were coke ovens on the land where my house is now. I was looking for pictures of that but I couldn't find any decent ones and the land looks completely different now. It's all 70's Leech housing, and the pit heap is now a big grassy/wooded area out the other end of my street.

@becs

Where I live was pretty fairly heavily bombed in WW2, so we get really odd housing and buildings. There will be a street of Victorian terrace houses, then one will just end (as the next one was bombed) then there will be an ugly unmatching 60s "newbuild" then back to the Victorian terraces again.

In the high street it is the same, the old original facades, with ugly concrete blocks filling the bombed bits.

At least now when they do newbuilds they seem to make more effort to match the surrounding buildings in style.

Well done @viccarlton very good pics only thing I'd say is it's a pity there wasn't an old one with Borgsten - but Im not sure there is one
I voted for @becs because the Victoria Hall disaster always pulls at my heart strings. I mentioned it it in the statues photo competition. It was interesting to see "then and now" comparisons. I thought it would be closer between becs and vic, so I only cast one vote.
I am fairly sure the total votes cast is much higher than usual too, which is great.
Look forward to the next comp.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back