• ThankHeavenForShed7 - Washed Up

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • keeps21 - Sew me up

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

That was my oringinal idea when the theme was announced but I arsed it and go there at the wrong time of day and the sun was at about 2 o'clock as you look at the pic.

I nearly went over the edge a couple of times trying to get a decent angle - was bricvking it as it was a lot windier than I thought it was going to be.

Goint to go back again though and see if I can get a better shot because the view from the top of the viaduct is stunning - managed to gert some cracking shots of it from the river level.

Super Kev gets my vote for no other reason than i like it!!!

My obsolete or redundant footie entry - The valve snapped off when i was pumping it up, rendering it useless. You wouldn't believe how many shots I took before picking that one, hope none of the neighbours were watching.

Super Kev gets my vote for no other reason than i like it!!!

My obsolete or redundant footie entry - The valve snapped off when i was pumping it up, rendering it useless. You wouldn't believe how many shots I took before picking that one, hope none of the neighbours were watching.

Cheers mate

Now that sounds familiar - I'm surprised I wasn't reported :oops:

Shame it is only one vote this month? I really wanted to vote for more than one.

Right I think there may be some disagreement over the word "obsolete", but I'm going with how I understand the word.

Please take the comments in the spirit intended, it is how I reacted to the photos only,
and hopefully will help.

Taipeisafc - well taken photograph, but it is not an obsolete shoe. It is a lost or
forgotten shoe or something. Doesn't hold my attention.

Ghost of EH7 - A well taken photo but although you conned me for a moment that it was an old fashioned dial phone it is in fact a pushbutton phone and not obsolete at all! :)

Cartman - I like this photograph, and I think black and white does it justice. I am
guessing it is meant to be a gallows. But did we ever actually hang people at the side of
the road, so maybe it isn't a gallows? Maybe it is a broken pub sign, not sure.

Superkev - A really good picture, love the lines leading your eye deep into the picture. Something is just missing though, a child skipping over the line, and animal or bird or just something? I guess railway lines per-se (sp?) aren't obsolete but that one looks pretty unused.

Robinp - I can only think you were going to be obsolete if you went any nearer that animal. Sorry this picture fails for me to meet the subject at all, even though I envy you for being in a location that enabled the picture to be taken. Maybe you meant the truck itself, but trucks aren't obsolete.

WillD - I think you are probably the most original thinker in the competition so far. Like the idea, but heed the comments you are given each month. I did read your explanation in the other thread but the picture, (before I read the explanation), didn't really meet "obsolete" for me. An explanation with the picture was possible required. The picture, sorry to say, is not too good. Try taking pictures at different times of day, or use different angles. This will help with your light. As Janie (I think) said, maybe a
romantic couple would have helped explain the story. Think about composition too, 50% of your picture isn't relevant, and doesn't add anything to your picture. Go in close, take pictures from different angles. I do think you met the theme well after the explanation.

Wayne the Punk - lovely popping colours. I don't think weeds are obsolete flowers, I did

do some research into this! I personally don't like flowers without stalks, but that is
just me. The depth of field is so shallow, that not enough of the flower is in focus for me
either, but nice to see new entrants.

Roger - Turntables aren't obsolete, people are still buying them! Cassettes possibly are? I think it is well photographed but the stylus thing is a bit blurry? I understand sometimes that bits of items can be "outside" the picture, but I think it would have been better to have the cassette comletely in the picture, it looks "wrong" being cut through.

Mine - the half crown is too bright and annoys me.

Not Spavin - Didn't meet the theme for me. You were burning the glasses because your eyes have been treated recently iirc, but this doesn't make glasses obsolete. I appreciate that the flames were hard to photograph and you made me laugh with your comment about the props burning away. So I like the flames, but there is too much background and blossom and melted glasses doesn't do it.

Mercia BlackCat - An obsolete place. Fair enough. Picture doesn't grab me. But you have improved a not very interesting photo 100% with the panoramic shape and thick black frame. It stands out on the archive page. (Thanks for the archive page AB22EasyTiger, it is a useful addition, but not all the photographs are there.)

Janiep - I really like this picture, the addition of a flag is just perfect. It makes the picture. Whoever said put a whole flag in though was wrong imo. It would have become a picture of a flag with a pier in the background. You judged it just right, it adds a sense of fun and colour without detracting from the main picture. I thought you had taken the picture from a boat, so well done taking it from the prom! WillD see this picture and see what composition means ie Janie has cut out unnecessary people and distractions by laying on her stomach. I guess this pier counts as obsolete?

Hauser's Helmet - Good meeting of theme - one of the best. But as a picture it really doesn't hold the viewers' attention.

Groofwoofwoofgrowl - "deflated" - yes, "obsolete" - no. Sorry, doesn't meet the theme and as H.Helmet's above, doesn't hold your attention.

Bigmac - My eyes keep looking at the hill, is the light the sun, what is with the fading light and leaves on the right?? Ahh, an abandoned bike. Not really obsolete, and the lighting draws my eyes to bits of the picture you don't want me to notice ie not the main subject.

BillyTheKid - I really like this picture. The colours are lovely. It seems slightly
blurry, but maybe it is the wind or my eyes. The tree reflection looks wrong somehow but maybe I'm wrong. As the theme was "obsolete" I would have made more of the lock and the gates by moving in closer/slightly different angle. I presume the lock is unused now, therefore nearly "obsolete.

Crazylegs - sorry, I've liked your pictures, but this is a snap of your loft (?) and just doesn't meet the theme. I like photographs to have something a little arty about them!

Keeps21 - nice photo but hardly obsolete, my mum still uses her Singer treddle sewing machine.

ThankHeavenforShed7 - Should have done that for "growth"! Not obsolete, just a dirty old mug, and it isn't in context either, just plonked on a wall (by you for the photo.?)

So, the pictures I would have given votes to would have been 2 from the following three -

janiep for fairly good meeting of the theme, good composition, and an element of
quirkiness.
Superkev for good photo and fairly good meeting of theme.
BillyThe Kid , good photo and fairly good meeting of the theme.

But my picture of the month and the one available vote is given to APB.

That old fashioned swing hidden away in a shed/garage definitely meets the theme, I doubt many of us will ever see one of them. I also like the black and white, adds to the
obsoleteness. Only criticism, very small one, As the picture is grainy I would have had a solid frame, that is all. So my picture of the month, and sole vote, goes to APB.

Peachbum - The Queen's head is a we bit blown out but that doesn't matter - the best picture in the competition by a country mile IMHO

Overall, just one vote from me. Peachbum was so far ahead of the field I couldn't in all good conscience give an equal vote to the two others I was considering: Cartman and keeps21

Thank you very much Ghost. :-D

As it's one vote each, I've gone for Peachbum. I thought it was a really great shot, beautifully composed - thought had obviously gone into which bit of each coin to show, and the way the coins were arranged brought out the beauty of some of their detail, e.g. the ship. All in all it was a really good example of how to make every day objects look beautiful.
And thankyou too. :-D

Good analysis peachbum.

I don't think very many really met the theme but.....

Agree with almost all of your comments but not sure about Billy the Kid's photo meeting the theme as it looks like a canal lock rather than river lock and they only become obsolete when the canal itself becomes closed and that canal looks in reasonable condition and is probably used.

A nice pic though Billy.

Well spotted with Ghost's pic :lol:

Agree with almost all of your comments but not sure about Billy the Kid's photo meeting the theme as it looks like a canal lock rather than river lock and they only become obsolete when the canal itself becomes closed and that canal looks in reasonable condition and is probably used.
I didn't know rivers had locks as I thought they were natural geographical features and wouldn't have had locks on them. I thought canals were man made and needed locks to meet different levels. The water appears to be the same level either side, so I guessed it was an "obsolete" lock?

I didn't know rivers had locks as I thought they were natural geographical features and wouldn't have had locks on them. I thought canals were man made and needed locks to meet different levels. The water appears to be the same level either side, so I guessed it was an "obsolete" lock?

Depends what direction the boat was travelling I suppose as they allow two way movement. If the last boat was moving away from the viewpoint....

It is a canal lock though but could be out of use now.

Last edited:
Depends what direction the boat was travelling I suppose as they allow two way movement. If the last boat was moving away from the viewpoint....

It is a canal lock though but could be out of use now.
Well I know how locks work! :):lol: It just looks like the level of the canal is the same level both sides of the lock, and they should be different levels.

Well I know how locks work! :):lol: It just looks like the level of the canal is the same level both sides of the lock, and they should be different levels.

True. Maybe that canal is no longer in use but similar locks certainly are.

Difficult theme to interpret is the conclusion I've come to but a good one.

Roll on motion, no pun intended, that should be interesting and technically challenging.

Last edited:
Ghost of EH7 - A well taken photo but although you conned me for a moment that it was an old fashioned dial phone it is in fact a pushbutton phone and not obsolete at all! :)

Actually the phone is over 20 years old and is a mechanical push button thing - way obsolete. But that wasn't the point, necessarily.

The title was the point. At least Janiep got it.

Super Kev gets my vote, meets the theme well and is such a strong photograph.

Would also have voted for...

Billy The Kid - Love your entry, I think the blur works well and adds an atmosphere to the photo. I do agree with peachbum though, would have made more use of the Lock to make it more obsolete.

Not Spavin - Very creative, I would have taken the photograph at a lower viewpoint to focus more on the glasses though.

peachbum - I think your entry is the most obsolete, but the only thing that stopped me using the one vote I had is the brightness of the half crown.

Bigmac - My eyes keep looking at the hill, is the light the sun, what is with the fading light and leaves on the right?? Ahh, an abandoned bike. Not really obsolete, and the lighting draws my eyes to bits of the picture you don't want me to notice ie not the main subject.

The light is the sun, I do agree with you about how it draws you away from the bike itself. I took the meaning of obsolete to be 'no longer in use', which the bike wasn't.
Great feedback, will take what you said and keep it in mind for 'motion'.

I love the way different people see different things in the shots. It keeps us thinking, I think.

Oh, and the archive; that's actually Roger who moves them to his picture gallery on here. If they're not there now they will be soon.

ThankHeavenforShed7 - Should have done that for "growth"! Not obsolete, just a dirty old mug, and it isn't in context either, just plonked on a wall (by you for the photo.?)

Not placed there by me. Just abandoned on the rocks, no longer wanted and no longer used, hence obsolete. I'm disappointed in myself this month because it was an excellent theme, I just didn't get a chance to get to the location I wanted to shoot.

My vote this month goes to Not Spavin for a very clever and thoughtful take on the theme. Special mentions for Peachbum (would've got my vote if the coin in the top left wasn't so heavily blown out) and BigMac (generally a nice picture, just not quite enough there to warrant a vote).

Oh Cartman, a gibbett is wonderfully obsolete. I thought you were making out it was a gallows and I didn't think people got hung by the roadside. So your picture didn't tell the story to me. I did note your title, and I am totally against bringing back hanging, and APB's shades yours a little technically (for me and imo etc) and you won last month so still no vote, but again , very good.:)

Not placed there by me. Just abandoned on the rocks, no longer wanted and no longer used, hence obsolete. I'm disappointed in myself this month because it was an excellent theme, I just didn't get a chance to get to the location I wanted to shoot.

My vote this month goes to Not Spavin for a very clever and thoughtful take on the theme. Special mentions for Peachbum (would've got my vote if the coin in the top left wasn't so heavily blown out) and BigMac (generally a nice picture, just not quite enough there to warrant a vote).
Does that mean over exposed?

Actually the phone is over 20 years old and is a mechanical push button thing - way obsolete. But that wasn't the point, necessarily.

The title was the point. At least Janiep got it.
I'm over twenty years old but I'm not obsolete (quite)! I don't think I'm as clever as Janie then, because "call me" means ring you OR call your bluff ........ neither of which indicates obsolete. (I hate criticising your pictures when you are so nice about mine and when you are obviously a better photographer than I am.)

Oh Cartman, a gibbett is wonderfully obsolete. I thought you were making out it was a gallows and I didn't think people got hung by the roadside. So your picture didn't tell the story to me. I did note your title, and I am totally against bringing back hanging, and APB's shades yours a little technically (for me and imo etc) and you won last month so still no vote, but again , very good.:)

Does that mean over exposed?

Sort of, yeah. It's when something is overexposed to the point that there are pixels which contain no information because it was too bright for the camera's sensor to record anything. Having looked at your photo again, it wasn't quite as blown out as I thought. I probably should have voted for it! I thought it was an interesting subject, nice take on the theme, and really nice composition.

Sort of, yeah. It's when something is overexposed to the point that there are pixels which contain no information because it was too bright for the camera's sensor to record anything. Having looked at your photo again, it wasn't quite as blown out as I thought. I probably should have voted for it! I thought it was an interesting subject, nice take on the theme, and really nice composition.
Ah well, thanks anyway.:)

Taipeisafc - well taken photograph, but it is not an obsolete shoe. It is a lost or
forgotten shoe or something. Doesn't hold my attention.

I agree 100% with your critique (apart from the fact I don't think it is a well taken photograph), I had a few other photos of the Han Dynasty Great Wall and watchtowers in the Gobi desert which are certainly not in use anymore but still not really obsolete. I actually found this theme very hard and I only think a few people actually managed to get something which I would define as obselete - and I wasn't one of them. I do think this sort of critique and observation is extremely useful and relaly appreciate the time yourself and others take to do it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back