• ThankHeavenForShed7 - Washed Up

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • keeps21 - Sew me up

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Voting is NOT anonymous and you can vote for as many as you wish.

Please feel free to give feedback on this thread as to the reasons for your votes.

Voting closes in 7 days.

Good luck everyone.

I'm being particularly harsh this month I think, and this is only MY OPINION, I've no doubt others will disagree, as they should.

Mercia said something in the discussion thread about being obsolete and not merely redundant, I thought that was a very pragmatic way of looking at this, so anything redundant, and not necessarily obsolete was marked down a bit.

Mercia: Clearly follows the theme but didn't benefit from looking so small. The sky was blown out a bit too.

grrwoofwookgrowl: More redundant than obsolete I think. I also have an issue with the composition, could have been closer to the ball.

WillD: I loved the idea but the river is blown out and I think the photo would have been much more effective had it been of just one pair of locks.

Hauser's Helmet - good idea, decent execution

Wayne the Punk - Not sure it quite met the theme but not a bad idea - slightly out of focus though, or is it just my eyes?

Peachbum - The Queen's head is a we bit blown out but that doesn't matter - the best picture in the competition by a country mile IMHO

Billy The Kid: Looks like HDR to me? Good idea but I wish the reflection of the tree hadn't been chopped off

not spavin: I liked the idea but the composition doesn't seem quite right - I'm not sure what the background was meant to represent and that's 2/3 of the picture.

bigmac: mare redundant than obsolete but I liked the idea

janiep: I really liked the idea of doing something different with the pier and thought the framing withthe Union Jack was good. I'd have liked to have seen the whole flag, and the pier to have been in focus too, maybe shot with a smaller aperture.

APB - Loved last month's shot but this just didn't work for me. Can't really put my finger on why.

Roger - Great idea and well executed. I just wish the arm on the record had been is focus

SuperKev - I liked the composition and the execution, but again, not sure it's obsolete, more redundant (have I got a bee in my bonnet here?)

robinp: not sure what to make of this, I guess that truck is obsolete though.

Cartman: I liked this one but it looked rather dark on my (calibrated) monitor

Ghost of EH7 - rubbish

taipeisafc: see my comments on grrwoofwoofgrowl above.

Crazylegs: Hmmm, there's a lot of obsolescence in there - but it's very busy

ThankHEavenForShed7: See taipeisafc above

keeps21: A nice shot, well lit and a good idea. Slight issue with the composition, would have liked to have seen just a part of the sewing machine shot closer up.

Overall, just one vote from me. Peachbum was so far ahead of the field I couldn't in all good conscience give an equal vote to the two others I was considering: Cartman and keeps21

My vote goes to Roger this month, great idea and very well lit (I disagree with Ghost of EH7 about focus as in my opinion it is motion blur caused by arm movement on a long exposure). Peachbum's was close second. I do agree with Ghost of EH7 comments on obsolete - I don't think my photo really follows the theme (as I mentioned in the discussion thread) but I struggled to get something which I was happy with as obsolete and ran out of time (plus I am 1200 km from my camera at the moment)

I agree with Ghost of EH7...his is rubbish :lol: just kidding mate, it got my one vote this month, really like the framing and lighting.

You are right about mine too, it is a bit dark. I was going for a creepy look but went a bit too far :roll:

It's all good though, I think the voting could be spread about a lot this month as there are a few contenders

I'm being particularly harsh this month I think, and this is only MY OPINION, I've no doubt others will disagree, as they should.

Mercia said something in the discussion thread about being obsolete and not merely redundant, I thought that was a very pragmatic way of looking at this, so anything redundant, and not necessarily obsolete was marked down a bit.

Mercia: Clearly follows the theme but didn't benefit from looking so small. The sky was blown out a bit too.

grrwoofwookgrowl: More redundant than obsolete I think. I also have an issue with the composition, could have been closer to the ball.

WillD: I loved the idea but the river is blown out and I think the photo would have been much more effective had it been of just one pair of locks.

Hauser's Helmet - good idea, decent execution

Wayne the Punk - Not sure it quite met the theme but not a bad idea - slightly out of focus though, or is it just my eyes?

Peachbum - The Queen's head is a we bit blown out but that doesn't matter - the best picture in the competition by a country mile IMHO

Billy The Kid: Looks like HDR to me? Good idea but I wish the reflection of the tree hadn't been chopped off

not spavin: I liked the idea but the composition doesn't seem quite right - I'm not sure what the background was meant to represent and that's 2/3 of the picture.

bigmac: mare redundant than obsolete but I liked the idea

janiep: I really liked the idea of doing something different with the pier and thought the framing withthe Union Jack was good. I'd have liked to have seen the whole flag, and the pier to have been in focus too, maybe shot with a smaller aperture.

APB - Loved last month's shot but this just didn't work for me. Can't really put my finger on why.

Roger - Great idea and well executed. I just wish the arm on the record had been is focus

SuperKev - I liked the composition and the execution, but again, not sure it's obsolete, more redundant (have I got a bee in my bonnet here?)

robinp: not sure what to make of this, I guess that truck is obsolete though.

Cartman: I liked this one but it looked rather dark on my (calibrated) monitor

Ghost of EH7 - rubbish

taipeisafc: see my comments on grrwoofwoofgrowl above.

Crazylegs: Hmmm, there's a lot of obsolescence in there - but it's very busy

ThankHEavenForShed7: See taipeisafc above

keeps21: A nice shot, well lit and a good idea. Slight issue with the composition, would have liked to have seen just a part of the sewing machine shot closer up.

Overall, just one vote from me. Peachbum was so far ahead of the field I couldn't in all good conscience give an equal vote to the two others I was considering: Cartman and keeps21
Didn't work for me either mate, I made a decision to enter every month and with no opportunities or decent ideas I just fired that off on a road trip.... I can't even take credit for it as it was the wife who shouted 'obsolete' when she seen it.

Must try harder :lol:

Anyone else have problems voting on multiple entries?

Totally agree with that fwiw. Fairly disappointed with how it turned out, picked the wrong lens, shot it at the wrong time of day and messed up the composition as the flames took quicker than I thought, and I panicked :-D

Good learning experience tho but, and I suppose that's the whole point.

Very helpful feedback there, thank you. I took it on Easter Bank Holiday Monday, and I had to lay down flat on a very busy Brighton promenade to get the flag and the pier lined up, through the promenade railings. I was getting some very strange looks! I think I felt a bit self conscious and so didn't take the time to shoot it over and over again, experimenting with things like aperture, exact position of the flag etc. Lesson learnt - you sometimes have to look like an idiot for the sake of art ;).

For me, this was a different type of pic this month: with my last two, the subject has filled the whole of the frame and I wanted to do something different, e.g two objects quite far apart (pier and flag). Here's the Pseuds' Corner bit: when I look back at all my three entries, they have all depended for their effect on juxtapositions of incongruous things on each other. What I was pleased about with my entry this month is that, as I posted the day before we went to Brighton, I was going to try the West Pier, but I doubted I would be able to get a new take on it, and though I says it who perhaps shouldn't, I think I did, although I entirely take on board your comments about focus and the whole flag.

Yes, the picture I tried to upload to photobucket was larger. It was quite wide as I stiched together four shots that were hand held to make the final image.

Even when I added the border, the overall image was resized to the original upload so not sure what went on but I may have to use another webhost.

Agree about the comments, the light was poor and I took the opportunity early as I wouldn't be returning to the scene.

APB for me though.

Last edited:
I was lying in bed last night at about 10 watching tele and thought, "shit I haven't entered a shot yet". So got up and took the shot of the sewing machine.

The definition of obsolete I followed was: 'no longer in general use; fallen into disuse'.

Not going to get in to the voting just yet but IMHO you've got the wrong defintions for redundant and obsolete (or at least according to the oxford OnLine dictionary).

After Mercia's original post I thought I better make sure that what I was going to shoot (had about 4 or 5 ideas) were actually obsolete so had a quick look up and the definition I found [and used] was

obsolete

• adjective 1 no longer produced or used; out of date. 2 Biology rudimentary or vestigial.

— ORIGIN Latin obsoletus ‘grown old, worn out’, from obsolescere ‘fall into disuse’.

I think a few that you had marked down as redundant are actually obsolete - I know I've never seen a train going from Herrinton Pitt to Monkton Coke Works down that line since I've lived here :lol:

So give me a point yer git ;)

P.S. Forgot to say I'm glad you posted your comments because some of things that you have pointed out on some of the pics I'd never have picked up in a month of sundays. But on looking at your comments and then back at the pics they jump straight out.

Last edited:
Yes we discussed whether something was obsolete or merely redundant but also later that something could be obsolete from a personal perspective.

More redundant than obsolete I think.

I know it's already been posted, but I think all of those marked as redundant are obsolete.

I just wanted to reiterate that obsolete is defined as 'No longer produced or used' by the online OED, so we aren't just looking at items which have been superseded by newer technology or newer versions. Surely items which are redundant are, by their very nature obsolete as they are no longer used.

Just thought this was important to reiterate so I can get more votes ;)

FWIW I've had a mare this month. I didn't really want to submit that image but I just didn't get a chance to get to the location I wanted to photograph for one reason or another. Disappointed in myself.

I know it's already been posted, but I think all of those marked as redundant are obsolete.

I just wanted to reiterate that obsolete is defined as 'No longer produced or used' by the online OED, so we aren't just looking at items which have been superseded by newer technology or newer versions. Surely items which are redundant are, by their very nature obsolete as they are no longer used.

Just thought this was important to reiterate so I can get more votes ;)

FWIW I've had a mare this month. I didn't really want to submit that image but I just didn't get a chance to get to the location I wanted to photograph for one reason or another. Disappointed in myself.

me anarl mate :lol:

As it's one vote each, I've gone for Peachbum. I thought it was a really great shot, beautifully composed - thought had obviously gone into which bit of each coin to show, and the way the coins were arranged brought out the beauty of some of their detail, e.g. the ship. All in all it was a really good example of how to make every day objects look beautiful.

I'm now going to do a Peachbum style critique on the lot :). This is MY OPINION and I hope no offence will be taken.

Mercia Blackcat - nice, but too large for this format sadly.

grrwwoof - I liked it, I sometimes feel like that at the end of a long week! It might have been interesting to get lower down and a bit closer to it.

WillD - very nice, and great to see one from a camera phone. However, again it might have been interesting to get in a bit closer and a bit lower. Still, I'd probably have given it a vote.

Hausers Helmet - great subject, nicely taken. Did you try any shots of it which got more of the wheel in? I just think there might have been a way of doing it where we didn't need to have it explained to us that it was a pit wheel.

Wayne the Punk - you can't beat a good flower pic, and this is a good flower pic. I think you strained at the meaning of the theme a bit but as a study of the much-overlooked dandelion it's v. nice.

Billy the Kid - I love a moody landscape, and this one is very atmospheric.

Not Spavin - I think you're a harsh critic on yourself. It's a striking image. However, what would have stopped it getting a vote from me is that the elements are a bit disjointed. Why cherry blossom?

Bigmac - another moody landscape and I like the way you've drained it of nearly all its colour. However, it doesn't quite have the atmosphere of some of the other landscapes this month.

APB - for me, the actual subject is a bit lost in the post-production effects. Just personal, but I prefer naturalistic shots.

Roger - very nice, I would give it wall space.

Superkev - another good landscape; this one is full of colour but still manages to evoke a sense of loneliness. Being picky, that track looks to me like it's still maintained (not covered with weeds) so I thought it was slightly o/t.

Robinp - what a great opportunity, to be so close. But to me it's a shot that captures an incredible moment rather one that says something about "obsolete".

Cartman - very nice, the clouds in particular are amazing, but somehow it just didn't light up for me. I almost wonder if it would have been better as a pic without the gallows (although I appreciate that would have taken it o/t) as the clouds are so wonderful.

Ghost of EH7 - I was put off at first because it's a modern phone, but then with your title I realised that wasn't quite the point. Nice shot, though again not one that really lit up for me personally.

Taipei - liked it, it perhaps suggested more of a story than perhaps some of the other "object" photos.

Crazylegs - reminded me of this app I had on the ipod for a while where you have to spot objects in a crowded scene (if anyone's ever had one of those you'll know exactly what I mean). I'd have played around with the position of the donkey jacket a bit just to see if you could get more effect by putting it in other places in the frame, or next to other objects.

thankheaven etc - nice, and I love the subtle colours and as with Taipei's there's the suggestion of a story (whose mug was this? who drank from it? why did they discard it? etc etc).

Superkev - another good landscape; this one is full of colour but still manages to evoke a sense of loneliness. Being picky, that track looks to me like it's still maintained (not covered with weeds) so I thought it was slightly o/t.

Honest gov it's totally disused - I walked from one end of the line at Follingsby Lane all the way to Penshaw and in some parts it was fecking dangerous it was either so overgrown, had that much rubbish tipped on it and there was even a section at the bottom of Barmston where some fucker had dug out all the gravel and there was a massive section I have to jump over.

Some other snaps of the line that show that it is definately neither used nor maintained here, here and here - these are the north end at Follinsby.

I wanted to post one where the lines went all the way to the horizon and most of the one's where they were totally overgrown didn't show this.

And if you follow the line all the way to the end you get this this and this :lol: at Pensha

In fact I think i should get bonus points for effort for walking all the way from one end of the line to the other without getting killed - I saw things that would have made Kevin Carter barf :oops:

Aye OK I believe you now :).

You should get bonus points, but not as many as I should get for lying down flat on my stomach on Brighton seafront on one of its busiest days of the year ;)

Not going to get in to the voting just yet but IMHO you've got the wrong defintions for redundant and obsolete (or at least according to the oxford OnLine dictionary).

After Mercia's original post I thought I better make sure that what I was going to shoot (had about 4 or 5 ideas) were actually obsolete so had a quick look up and the definition I found [and used] was

I think a few that you had marked down as redundant are actually obsolete - I know I've never seen a train going from Herrinton Pitt to Monkton Coke Works down that line since I've lived here :lol:

So give me a point yer git ;)

P.S. Forgot to say I'm glad you posted your comments because some of things that you have pointed out on some of the pics I'd never have picked up in a month of sundays. But on looking at your comments and then back at the pics they jump straight out.

:lol:

I thought about a disused railway shot myself but considered that railways aren't obsolete, just individual lines redundant. Yours, by the way isn't, it's "mothballed" for future use.

But that's nitpicking. I liked the shot but my judgment was maybe clouded by the fact that I'd considered something similar but rejected it.

I've learned quite a bit from the comments of others on here and that's why I'll comment on each picture every month - I'm not saying my comments are necessarily correct or of value but I hope they provide a different perspective on some of the shots.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back