Voting - Food for Thought

Picture of the Month for January - Food For Thought?

• Hauser's-Helmet

Votes: 3 4.2%
  • Not Spavin - E=Mc2

Votes: 20 28.2%
  • Everstar - Hedgehog

Votes: 9 12.7%
  • andy m - Grindon's finest

Votes: 10 14.1%
  • Mercia Blackcat - Jucy Lucy

Votes: 5 7.0%
  • clyde

• WillD - Gypsy Breakfast

Votes: 2 2.8%
  • Dublass

• taipeisafc

• Ghost of EH7 - Brain Food

• keeps21 - Blair's Zakk Wylde hot sauce collection

• thewoo

Votes: 6 8.5%
  • Cartman

Votes: 16 22.5%
  • ThankHeavenForShed7

Votes: 8 11.3%
  • grrwoofwoofgrowl

Votes: 1 1.4%
  • The Ghost of ORR

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • peachbum - Boys' Toys

• Roger

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Cheers for the comments PB and your right, mine is shite.

click "view poll results" ^^

I'm going to say why and how I voted.

I know we are all different standards of photographer so I have weighted my vote more to the interpretation of the theme rather than the quality of the photograph. There are two photos I really like and would have liked to give 2 votes to.

Hauser's Helmet - Met the topic but a bit out of focus and perhaps rushed? Nil points (Like the Eurovision song contest with a french accent)

Not Spavin - You seem to know how to alter images (ie more advanced than many of us) but E=MC>2 is upside down to the man looking on which I find a bit daft. I do like the idea but 0 points. (I would have given you a point actually but there are 2 photos I prefer so my vote has to go to them as you seem to be polling heavily!)

Everstar - I don't like this photograph, sorry, but the salami looks contrived, the hedgehog(?) has his eyes shut and the grass in front of his face is too bright and distracting. It doesn't really meet the topic and looks a bit fake. 0 points

AndyM
- Love this photo - meets the topic - I thought about this picture a lot, it holds the attention and is evocative. 2 points, 1 vote.

Mercia Black Cat - If the topic was "Food for Sex" then you would be the winner. It just misses for me. 0 points.

Clyde - Love the lighting but just misses the topic. 0 points

WillD - I would guess you haven't done a lot of photography but I really like your idea. I would have hidden the tiles from underneath the tray and that white thing at the top left. 1 point/vote (for theme meeting).

Dublass and Tapeisafc - both nice photographs but also look like holiday snaps entered for the competition without too much thought put into them 0 and 0.

Ghost ofEH7- I was going to do the same but a bit clichéd? 0 points

Keeps21 - Topic ? 0 points

What happened to the peanuts on the table picture? Was it a cheat? :eek:

The Woo - Nothing really really works for me in this - doesn't meet the topic (?) and the white branch steals the scene.

Cartman - Meets the topic as I did think about it. Why is it blurred, why is the drink spilled? Bit clichéd? Would be 1 point but you are polling too many so 0 points.

ThankHeaven4Shed7 - I really like this one - I was thinking books and shelves. Love the fridge idea and I like the fact that a lot of the picture is dark. 2 points from me , sadly one vote.

Grwoofwoof - Didn't really get this one, though the picture was maybe harder to take than it looks. 0 points

Ghost of Orr - Like the idea but would have preferred a less cluttered background. One point for the idea but no vote.

Peachbum - (mine) - self evaluation. I really like I was the only one that used "food for thought" as a discussion point rather than something to do with food. I like that it is framed. I am not sure that black and white works, maybe pretty colours would have been better for the pretty dolls. "Boys' Toys" was meant to evoke the thought process of would you let your boys play with dolls? Need to concentrate on focus! 2 points BUT no vote - I can't bring myself to vote for myself!

Roger Nice picture but it seems to not really meet the topic. 0 points

All the above is meant in good faith fellow smbers! Good luck all this round and next!

Just to explain a little here, I only wanted the glass in focus so you could see the lipstick, I wanted the keys and the bottle slightly out of focus to make the glass jump out a little. The drink was spilt to try to say, she has had a little bit too much to drink, should she really be driving. I could have framed it a lot better but I am learning :)

I am still getting used to my camera but I have to say I am really glad I entered, I am dreading the next round though. I expect there will be some stunning shots.

Just to explain a little here, I only wanted the glass in focus so you could see the lipstick, I wanted the keys and the bottle slightly out of focus to make the glass jump out a little. The drink was spilt to try to say, she has had a little bit too much to drink, should she really be driving. I could have framed it a lot better but I am learning :)

I am still getting used to my camera but I have to say I am really glad I entered, I am dreading the next round though. I expect there will be some stunning shots.

Yep, I think the use of focus is the best thing about it; particularly like the photo in the background.

Good job she forgot the car keys innit :-D

I also like that the voting isn't all on technical merit as we have many different levels of experience here.

I think it's a great opportunity for us all to grow as photographers being a little bit inspired by what others are shooting.

Concurred.

Please February's theme is a little more instructive, looking forward to it. Are we going to reinstate the rule about the shot having to be taken specifically for the competition? I think we should, personally. Makes it loads more interesting, and the point of this is to inspire people to use their cameras after all.

I think the interpretation of the votes is almost as interesting as the entries - I had expected The Woo and Ghost of Orr to rack up more votes, for instance. A smashing shot / clever idea respectively.

Concurred.

Please February's theme is a little more instructive, looking forward to it. Are we going to reinstate the rule about the shot having to be taken specifically for the competition? I think we should, personally. Makes it loads more interesting, and the point of this is to inspire people to use their cameras after all.

I think the interpretation of the votes is almost as interesting as the entries - I had expected The Woo and Ghost of Orr to rack up more votes, for instance. A smashing shot / clever idea respectively.

I hope so too. It's good to get the first one off the ground but from now on that would be better.

Some really clever stuff in January's comp but Not Spavin got my vote purely for the fact he had an Albert Einstein doll lurking amongst his possesions.

Seriously though, I thought it was the most creative use of subject matter, fitted the comp theme perfectly and it was one of the first entries in which for me made it a bit more deserving.

Some other really good entries, great shot from Andy M and ThankHeavenForShed 7's books in the fridge was great idea.

Well done people.

I also placed only one vote because it made me be super critical.

Not Spavin is a really good funny one but it would have been too easy for me to just click away on the voting for several and not really force myself to narrow it down which is why I voted for just one, Cartman.

I used to be indecisive but now I'm not so sure...

PB's interpretation of her own entry is interesting as I saw it different and thought it was a statement against male chauvenism.....women being treated as objects, called dolls etc etc. A really good statement but in my own mind it appears. :eek:

Cheers for the comments PB and your right, mine is shite.

None of them are shite mate.

Some really clever stuff in January's comp but Not Spavin got my vote purely for the fact he had an Albert Einstein doll lurking amongst his possesions.

Seriously though, I thought it was the most creative use of subject matter, fitted the comp theme perfectly and it was one of the first entries in which for me made it a bit more deserving.

Some other really good entries, great shot from Andy M and ThankHeavenForShed 7's books in the fridge was great idea.

Well done people.

Thanks fella. fwiw my favourite was ThankHeavenForShed7's fridge, closely followed by Cartman and The Woo in tied second place. Andy M's was typically beautiful, but I preferred the above as they were better answer to the competition topic. Voted for all 4, and was very tempted to vote for more.

Good work all, and thanks to AB22 Easy Tiger for setting it all up.

Cheers for the comments people. As a beginner trying to find his feet in the world of photography it means a lot.

For the record, I voted for Spav, Mercia and Andy M. Spav's picture had everything, to be fair. Great idea, well composed, great contrast and great colours. I thought Mercia's was quite clever and the missus liked it as well! As for Andy M, well I think we all know about the guy's talent. His representation of the less polished aspects of our world is something that I can see becoming a huge influence on the direction I take with my photography.

I really liked a lot of the other entries as well but I thought it would kind of de-value the voting if I voted for loads.

I already can't wait to see what people come up with for February. No idea where I'm going to go with this yet but I'm looking forward to it, and I know that the bar is going to be set high by the rest of the SMB.

What happened to the peanuts on the table picture? Was it a cheat?

Read more: http://www.readytogo.net/smb/showthread.php?p=7411307#post7411307#ixzz0eTTWsKbI

I am not sure why my photo was omitted from the competition it certainly was not a cheat, not that i am aware of anyway. An explanation would have been nice or advised the it was withdrawn because it was total shit and did not meet the criteria ....Nothing in the rules though as its open to all levels of ability as i thought?

The photo of the peanuts was to express that nut's in general affect millions of people on a daily basis in there choice in buying or eating food due to suffering from nut allergy.

I did realise it had no chance of winning as i have just bought my first DSLR and i am a complete novice to it all but i was inspired to give it a go due to some of the talent show by others on here.

Unfortunately I am temporarily not able to get about at the moment due to a bad broken leg where i am reliant on crutches which has limited me in practice and composition choice this is not an excuse it's just reality at present.:lol::lol:

Read more: http://www.readytogo.net/smb/showthread.php?p=7411307#post7411307#ixzz0eTTWsKbI

I am not sure why my photo was omitted from the competition it certainly was not a cheat, not that i am aware of anyway. An explanation would have been nice or advised the it was withdrawn because it was total shit and did not meet the criteria ....Nothing in the rules though as its open to all levels of ability as i thought?

The photo of the peanuts was to express that nut's in general affect millions of people on a daily basis in there choice in buying or eating food due to suffering from nut allergy.

I did realise it had no chance of winning as i have just bought my first DSLR and i am a complete novice to it all but i was inspired to give it a go due to some of the talent show by others on here.

Unfortunately I am temporarily not able to get about at the moment due to a bad broken leg where i am reliant on crutches which has limited me in practice and composition choice this is not an excuse it's just reality at present.:lol::lol:

for what it's worth it was a cracking photo

I assumed you'd deleted it or summat. It was a nice shot, plus it was relevant to the theme I thought.

Check your PMs

Cheers for the comments people. As a beginner trying to find his feet in the world of photography it means a lot.

For the record, I voted for Spav, Mercia and Andy M. Spav's picture had everything, to be fair. Great idea, well composed, great contrast and great colours. I thought Mercia's was quite clever and the missus liked it as well! As for Andy M, well I think we all know about the guy's talent. His representation of the less polished aspects of our world is something that I can see becoming a huge influence on the direction I take with my photography.

I really liked a lot of the other entries as well but I thought it would kind of de-value the voting if I voted for loads.

I already can't wait to see what people come up with for February. No idea where I'm going to go with this yet but I'm looking forward to it, and I know that the bar is going to be set high by the rest of the SMB.

The original title I thought of was Tangerine Dream but thought Jucy Lucy was maybe more appropriate in case some missed the point but I preferred the original title.

I thought Paddy's "Toasted Northern Rock" was good it but wasn't included in the voting.

Did he post on the wrong thread?

for what it's worth it was a cracking photo

I assumed you'd deleted it or summat. It was a nice shot, plus it was relevant to the theme I thought.

Check your PMs

Thanks for the feedback it's really appreciated..

I thought the entries were excellent by all some great imaginations.I have ordered some books from Amazon to try and understand the techy stuff, so when i am more mobile i can get out and start using the camera to better effect.

Keep posting the photo's i think this section will really take off..

Concurred.

Yes, I think we should. It was relaxed to ease people into the competition and I think it had the desired result, but I think it should be reinstated.

Not bad analysis PB but I would like to say that when you get to my age sex is something you think about :eek:
:lol:

Bless.

I'd have given you a vote if I'd known!

I did like yours and it was marginal on getting a point, but I've seen your photography before so no doubt you will get a vote from me somewhere in the competition.

I did guess this, ie was trying to indicate that you did make me think (food for thought) which was a good thing, I didn't want to give too many votes otherwise it sort of negates the vote. So I gave three votes, two to the two I liked the best and one for a photo that had a bit wrong with it but you could see had been taken for the competition and was a good idea.

Check your PMs
What did happen to that photograph?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back