Voting - Earth

Picture of the Month

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks Peach, Unfortunately when I shouted "look at me you... f'ing animal" it wouldn't look up :lol: So I took what I could. The reason for not cropping in further from the right was purely to make sure that the Gazelle looking at me remained central in the image.

I have the night sky, and animals feeding from the land. For me that is earth but I guess it is down to interpretation.

Thanks for the comments, appreciate any feedback.
Bold 1 - I know that one! :lol:

Bold 2 - all the photographs did meet the theme, but when I was choosing 3 photos (I could have chosen more pictures easily, but it dilutes the vote a bit), I used meeting the theme as quite a "weighted" part of my voting choice, because there are photographers of differing abilities here with very different experience and equipment, so meeting the theme did count for quite a bit in my thought processes. I actually found your photo incredibly appealing but I was mean and found fault. :)

well i'll take that on board mate but your completely wrong with just about all that you said....the shot was taken at night, so no sunlight and the reason for the colours in the sky and the blur is cloud movement and is down to the fact that it is a 173 second exposure, i cant overkill nature can i? anyway cheers.
Ok, interesting. The pier look likes it is lit by sunlight falling on it, I had no information remember. Judging photographs is subjective don't forget. I like your shooting point I just didn't like the colours, and if you look at the top left corner the sky (?) is a different colour and there is a white block (yes I think said top right in my comments:oops:).

I admire you going for night photography in this cold weather:) and Notspavin said yours was a technically difficult photograph, so good for you, it just didn't appeal to me, sorry. :-(

I think meeting the thme is vital personally or why bother having one.

If it was an educational project or professional brief meeting the theme would be an essential criteria.

I was trying to strike a balance between the two as it were.

Originally I intended to make a mush using beans to give me an orange colour in addition to the green from mushy peas.

The orange mush was going to lead from slightly up to the left to flow into the basin area at the very bottom of the pic.

I also intended to use mustard to produce something flowing from the ends of the rusty pipes that dripped into the orange mushy sea.

I have some broken red bricks that I was going to make a small mound with on the concrete base to represent derelict buildings with red tomato ketchup dripping from the concrete base into the orange mush to represent the spilled blood of humanity.

However, I wanted to strike a balance between a pile of junk and a construct and felt that was maybe going too far for a photographic competition so never bothered in the end although in retrospect I wish I had as that was the image in my head and I doubt if I will ever be arsed to construct it again being the lazy git I am. ; - )

Organic 3D painting I like to think of it as. :lol:

:cool:

I'm all up for that sort of thing.

A few years ago I made one in my (then) back garden out of whatever junk I had lying around. It was kind of a futuristic cityscape but made out of rubbish. It seemed poigniant to me. :-D

I took a nice black and white film shot of it but I don't have a scanner so I can't upload it. :-(

:cool:

I'm all up for that sort of thing.

A few years ago I made one in my (then) back garden out of whatever junk I had lying around. It was kind of a futuristic cityscape but made out of rubbish. It seemed poigniant to me. :-D

I took a nice black and white film shot of it but I don't have a scanner so I can't upload it. :-(

Nice and retro.

It's just my opinion but I think we have become accustomed to photoshopped images, particularly in advertising. There was a time when they grabbed my attention when I saw adverts and billboards but not so much now. In fact a retro construct can catch the eye again as it's different to the norm these days.

I like this guys work and although he is primarily a fashion photographer much of his work is from before the days of photoshop.

http://www.sokolsky.com/

You'll have to get that photo scanned in and as with constructs the only thing that remains over time is the photograph, well worth keeping to show the idea.

Last edited:
I'm going to start the Fergie-style mind games in a couple of days like. ;)

keeps21 has already decided the theme for April, hypotheticaly speaking of course. ;)

We'll believe him like. Thousands wouldn't mind, but we will. ;)

It's tight at the top so let the psychological mind games begin. :lol:

And I tell you want, I'd love if I beat keeps, love it :mad:

Last edited by a moderator:
[fergie]Och, Keeps is going to need a finish like Devon Loch for any of us to have a chance.[/fergie]

[bruce]We haven't had any votes for days - I've told my photo that the fans deserve more. We're working hard to put it right, that's for sure.[/bruce]

After much consideration I've gone for Spav's as I actually really like the innovation of it and think the elevation of it looks superb - Plus the redish tinge on the spade. I don't buy in to the whole title issue - I am judging a photo not a naming competition.

Also really like Keeps21 but just couldn't bring myself to vote for more then 1. It's a great photo if, in my opinion, a little obvious for the theme. Saying that I would love to take something that was as technically great as that :)

I'll be hoying in a March entry but don't want any Eurovision esq political voting accusations when I win ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back