Voting - Earth

Picture of the Month

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Voting is NOT anonymous and you can vote for as many as you wish.

Please feel free to give feedback on this thread as to the reasons for your votes.

Voting closes in 7 days.

Good luck everyone.

One vote from me as usual and this month it goes to peachbum.

An outstanding effort.

Looking at peachbum's entry I have to wonder where it represents looking through a microscope or a telescope.

It looks in one way as if it is asteroids colliding during the formation of the Earth and in another way a closeup of the elements that make the Earth. The macrocosm in the microcosm.

A truly outstanding piece of creatrive photography that would be a talking point if hung on anyone's living room wall.

Edit: this should read

Looking at peachbum's entry I have to wonder whether it represents looking through a microscope or a telescope.

Last edited:
Taipei for me. With or without HDR. Certainly doesn't look unnatural like many minging HDR images.

Just used well as an alternative to filtration there

Cool, just thought maybe you forgot ro vote ;)

It could potentially happen :lol:

I voted for Clyde last month but later realised I should have given a vote to Cartman too. Too hasty

I am now capable of forgetting to bid on ebay things after I've set the alarm on the mobile and sat down with the ebay screen in front of me with ten minutes to go. Yes, I know I should use 'snipe' or something...?

Last edited:
3 votes from me.

Taipei - not usually a fan of HDR, but that has really lifted the shot. Probably my favourite shot overall this month.

Crazylegs - a really smart interpretation, well executed.

APB - found myself really dwelling on this shot, really striking.

Very high standard this month. I could have voted for most of the stuff up there tbh.

Alright, this is how I'm voting:

Marks out of 5 for each of the following:

Artistic Impression
Technical Difficultly
WOW factor

I'll vote for the top 5 overall scorers, if there's a tie I'll vote for more than 5.

Mercia Blackcat:
Artistic Impression: 2
Technical Difficultly: 1
WOW factor: 0
Total: 3
I liked this shot but it didn't grab me

mackemlegend
Artistic Impression: 1
Technical Difficultly: 0
WOW factor:0
Total: 1

Ghost of EH7
Artistic Impression: 4
Technical Difficultly: 3
WOW factor: 2
Total 9
I'm biased of course. I tried to focus on the decaying parts of the leaf to show the cellular structure of the dead foliage. I won't vote for myself.

ds0rco
WOW factor: 1
Total: 6
I liked that shot

Roger
Total 8
An unusual shot

taipeisafc
Artistic Impression: 3
Technical Difficultly: 2
WOW factor:3
Total:8
Something about this shot grabbed me

keeps21
Artistic Impression: 5
Technical Difficultly:2
Total: 8
A bit too much Atlantic but a good idea

clyde
WOW factor: 3
Total: 11
Nice shot

Royston:
Artistic Impression:3
Total: 7
Always like a shot of Penshaw Monument

Amnorrageordie
Artistic Impression: 2 - Composition is all wrong but the idea's good
WOW factor : 1
Total: 4

not spavin
WOW factor: 4
Total: 12
You twat!

grrwoofwoofgrowl
Total: 3
A nice shot but didn't wow me

Crazylegs
Total: 7
I really liked this shota and thought it was an interesting take on the subject

peachbum:
Technical Difficultly: 4
WOW factor:2
Total: 10
Great shot, I thought it might be crossed processed but maybe Paechy had something to hide

robinp
Technical Difficultly: 2
Total: 6
Composition was a bit off, I would have like to have seen the tree a bit to the left and the sun just a wee bit higher. Pleasing shot nevertheless.

APB
WOW factor: 4
Total: 12
Lovely shot, can we get it disqualified for any reason?

Cartman
WOW factor:1
Total: 4
I know he had a difficult time shooting an entry this month and the picture reflects that: just OK

janiep
WOW factor: 3
Total: 9
That one speaks to me

WillD
Artistic Impression: 3 - I can see his point
WOW factor: 0
Total:4

ThankHeavenetc
Artistic Impression: 3
Technical Difficultly: 4 - difficult exposing snow correctly
Total: 9

So, after all that, my votes go to:
Clyde, not spavin, Peachbum, APB, janiep, Thankheavenforwhatever

There were many good ones, I hope everyone keeps it up and keeps posting their pictures over the months to come.

I've voted for 4:

Ds0rco because he's managed to give that tree a personality.

Roger because I loved the concept (which I didn't get till I looked at his Flickr stream), and the whole earth-meets-sea thing was nicely done with the tiny figure giving perspective and the bird's eye view very unusual.

Grwoofwoofgrowl because as with Roger's I liked the idea of boundaries and edges, and the land has a lovely scalloped shape which he got well. I also liked the reflection and the colours.

Crazylegs because it's just a great photo, I can't really say more than that!

Thanks to those who've said nice things about mine - as a beginner at this, you have no idea how encouraging that was.

The percentages are a bit odd. :eek:
Its the percentage of people who voted for that entry, not a percentage of the votes cast.

Thanks to those who've said nice things about mine - as a beginner at this, you have no idea how encouraging that was.
It is obvious that everyone is at different levels, but I love the idea of trying to take a photo for a theme each month. It really sets you thinking and I am sure each and every one of us will improve and learn from it, winning photos or not.

I voted for Mercia.

While I thought there were technically better photographs, I felt his captured the "Earth" theme the best.

A lot of the others were a bit too "specific" for me... if the theme had been "tree" or "leaf" or "landscape" then I would've voted differently but for "Earth" it was Mercia all the way for me. :cool:

I've voted for one picture - EH7's. I thought it was a very well taken photograph and the colours and tones are just very 'earthy' for me. There were some tremendous pictures entered this month - I think the standard was much higher than last month - but some of them just didn't fit in with the theme for me. Maybe this is related to the fact that I struggled with the theme this month? Anyway, nice work everyone.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back