Vodka...

Chopin, either the potato or rye versions both are very nice.
Chase is also canny.
Belvedere.
Ketel One is also lush.

If you’re a vodka expert how much better is grey goose then? Obviously more expensive than the usual. What makes it more expensive.

Crystal Head. Is that decent?

grey goose is marketed a lot better than it tastes imo

the marketing budget.....the whole ethos of it wouldnt work if it wasnt expensive

Agreed about the grey goose. It's nice enough though but way way over marketed. For me ciroc is much much nicer, even stolichnaya is better than grey goose imo.

I can’t tell masses of difference but I do like Stoli.

Had smirnoff rasberry years ago before you could get it over here & loved it, It’s a bit old hat now. You can get as many flavours of smirnoff and absolut as you can different types of pringles.

Ketel One. Simple as that.

The Polish spiritus is legendary stuff.

My mate's Dad (a Pole who settled after WWII) used it in a number of ways.
  • As antiseptic on small wounds
  • He would drizzle a small amount into the opening of an ants nest. Leave it about ten seconds (to let the fumes permeate) then apply a match. Saw one ant stagger out with bent antennae wondering what the fuck had hit it.
  • As a drink. It stuck to the side of the glass, high viscosity. You downed it in one, because you didn't want it touching anything on the way down. Hit my stomach with a warm glow, which spread outward and made me smile.

My grandad was Polish and always had a bottle of Spiritus! Good memories!

Honourable mention for Stoli Elit in the Vodka stakes as well but it’s expensive and Ketel One is better for half the price.

Last edited by a moderator:
Vodka doesn't have taste. It's water and ethanol. Gin is water and ethanol with flavours added.

The objective is to be clear, odourless and flavourless so getting a good vodka without doing anything to it is really hard. It’s obviously impossible to make it totally odourless and flavourless so the good ones are the ones who get closest to it. Vodkas like Belvedere and that have subtle flavours added so not real pure vodka.

Last edited by a moderator:
The objective is to be clear, odourless and flavourless so getting a good vodka without doing anything to it is really hard. It’s obviously impossible to make it totally odourless and flavourless so the good ones are the ones who get closest to it. Vodkas like Belvedere and that have subtle flavours added so not real pure vodka.
I dont think thats true. A srandard vodka will be very little different to a premium vodka. I'm not paying a premium for distilled alcohol. The polish ones msy taste different from the imputities if there are any. I don't drink it anyway. However, if I was in Poland I am sure I would integrate into local culture and down a few.

I dont think thats true. A srandard vodka will be very little different to a premium vodka. I'm not paying a premium for distilled alcohol. The polish ones msy taste different from the imputities if there are any. I don't drink it anyway. However, if I was in Poland I am sure I would integrate into local culture and down a few.

Tis true my friend. They are the characteristics required to make a true vodka. Taste is of course down to personal preference.

Back