Vitesse Arnhem - quality

A friends father in law is a veteran of OMG. He's been going over for the remembrance parades etc for years and is treated like royalty. Not sure if he's their this year due to his age.

I was there last year (not for the celebrations) and the reception I received from just about everyone was very humbling. They have a lot of respect for the British and Free Polish armies due to OMG.

I've previously visited Arnhem in November and can confirm that the whole town buys into Remberance Sunday in a big way. Very humbling to see the way that they still honour British soldiers who died during the air landings. Particularly so, when you consider how savagely the civilian population were treated by the Germans after the battle to punish them for assisting the allied soldiers.

The airborne museum is well worth a visit as is the Vitesse ground which is a cracking stadium .

This, there's a very moving memorial stone and quote dedicated to the people of Arnhem, i'd hoy my picture up of it if i wasnt a technophobe. Anyway here's a link

War Memorial Hartenstein - Oosterbeek - TracesOfWar.com

its a brilliant town to visit if you fancy something a little diff to the big city vibe of Amsterdam or Rotterdam.

What’s the history?

Did we liberate Arnhem from the nazis?

Not quite. The drop ended up as a shambles, because the armour that was meant to relieve them couldn't get through in time, and the paras pretty much all ended up dead or in PoW camps. Arnhem was reoccupied by the Germans and subjected to pretty savage reprisals until it was finally liberated a few weeks later. Same thing happened in Nijmegen. Antony Beevor published a superb, and very detailed account of Operation Market Garden (as Montgomery christened it) earlier this year. It's a long, and slightly academic read, but I'd highly recommend it. Link is here https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B078H4RMXP/ref=dp-kindle-redirect?_encoding=UTF8&btkr=1

Excellent that, something that is very close to my heart.

Quite a poignant thread as I’ve just attended the funeral this morning of a serving soldier who took his own life 17 days ago. Only a kid and couldn’t fight his demons. :(

His father was a former soldier and a very close friend of mine, it’s been a difficult day.

Back