Vitamins

Status
Not open for further replies.

York

Midfield
Morning,

Advice if I may ask.

Son undertaking a great deal of hockey at the moment - playing at a reasonably high level - and is playing/training on average 4 to 5 times a week, as well as fitting in work, when he has to. He has a habit of hammering himself senseless with phys and then going downhill fast with colds etc. He's eating like a horse, but the right stuff, loads of protein and greens.

My question is what additional vitamins should he be looking at the ensure he is topped up in all areas - is there any specific area he should major on, or is it just a general multi vitamin he should be taking?

My thanks for responses to what may well be a bone question.

Morning,

Advice if I may ask.

Son undertaking a great deal of hockey at the moment - playing at a reasonably high level - and is playing/training on average 4 to 5 times a week, as well as fitting in work, when he has to. He has a habit of hammering himself senseless with phys and then going downhill fast with colds etc. He's eating like a horse, but the right stuff, loads of protein and greens.

My question is what additional vitamins should he be looking at the ensure he is topped up in all areas - is there any specific area he should major on, or is it just a general multi vitamin he should be taking?

Can I add any suitable supplements he should consider?

Last edited:

I take a one a day multivitamin and I hardly ever get colds or anything like that, I eat healthy about 85% of the time too which probably helps as well.

without knowing what he eats the priority for anyone really but someone training would be vitamin d with a decent doseage and probably zinc and calcium.

My mam used to make me drink cod liver oil as a punishment when i was a kid, awful tasting stuff
I used to get that as a kid too, after my morning cup of milk.
:evil:

Fish oils are another common one we're all deficient in.
All of us?

Morning,

Advice if I may ask.

Can I add any suitable supplements he should consider?
Eat well and you don't need to supplement.

Do I need vitamin supplements? - Health questions - NHS Choices

Last edited:
I used to get that as a kid too, after my morning cup of milk.
:evil:

All of us?

Eat well and you don't need to supplement.

Do I need vitamin supplements? - Health questions - NHS Choices

I agree but he always picks a cold up when he is over tired. He hockey trained twice last week, as well as 4 sessions in the gym and a hockey tournament s this weekend and he now has a heavy cold. Anything I can help him to remain fit and healthy I’ll try. He’s putting only healthy food down his neck regularly and hardly touches alcohol hence my question in case he’s missing anything.

I’ve always taken vitamin D3 (I work shifts) (pretty sure it’s a pro-hormone too)
Started taking red krill oil (doesn’t repeat on my like regular fish oil)
And vitamin k2 (bones as I’ve got older)

I’ve made sure I take them regularly since exercising as stated your body will be drained the more you stress it. Everything else I get from fruit and veg. (I eat tons of them)

If you ever want to see if a supplement of vitamin is worth it. Independent Analysis on Supplements & Nutrition then search away it’ll pull up links to studies and evidence of what they actually do.

Last edited:
There’s some fairly convincing research come out recently suggesting that supplementing vitamins is basically pointless @York

Best thing to do would be ensure everything is gained through food.

There’s some fairly convincing research come out recently suggesting that supplementing vitamins is basically pointless @York

Best thing to do would be ensure everything is gained through food.
Was that relating to mortality rates, rather than benefits for people who drain themselves through exercise?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back