Vitamin D

Why unprocessed? People have this obsession with ‘processed’ food being bad, but a tin of chopped tomatoes is ‘processed’ and objectively better for you than raw tomatoes.

Pasteurised milk is processed, and definitely a better idea than drinking raw milk :lol:
I was thinking less about mechanically processed - chopped and canned like tomatoes - and more about industrially/chemically processed. Food which has a load of addiditives. The addition of sugar and salt into a lot of food targeted towards children is an absolute disgrace. People need nutrients and fibre from real food.

I was thinking less about mechanically processed - chopped and canned like tomatoes - and more about industrially/chemically processed. Food which has a load of addiditives. The addition of sugar and salt into a lot of food targeted towards children is an absolute disgrace. People need nutrients and fibre from real food.

Spot on...sugar and salt are the seemingly harmless drugs that are shaping the minds and body's of our young...cook from scratch for your kids FFS!

just remember reading taking too much can be harmful to organs eg. the heart if take too much, hence easing off in lighter days.

However, there was a doctor on This Morning recently who said that vitamin D was essentially harmless and any excess is passed out in the urine. He also said hospitals sometimes administer doses of 24,000 IU. The recommended dose in this country is 400 IU per day but in America is 600 IU daily. The presenter tried to make a fuss of 3000 IU packs available online but the doctor brushed it off and simply said you shouldn't need that amount but it is harmless. My wife has been prescribed Calcichew twice daily for 20 years because of osteoporosis but each tablet also contains 400 IU of vitamin D or 800 IU daily but she's ok.

However, there was a doctor on This Morning recently who said that vitamin D was essentially harmless and any excess is passed out in the urine. He also said hospitals sometimes administer doses of 24,000 IU. The recommended dose in this country is 400 IU per day but in America is 600 IU daily. The presenter tried to make a fuss of 3000 IU packs available online but the doctor brushed it off and simply said you shouldn't need that amount but it is harmless. My wife has been prescribed Calcichew twice daily for 20 years because of osteoporosis but each tablet also contains 400 IU of vitamin D or 800 IU daily but she's ok.
cheers ta, will keep taking it until can get out more ( clocks go forward ) and got stronger sunshine .

I was just pondering this actually.
The statistics are probably heavily skewed by other factors. For instance we in the northeast have very low levels of Vitamin D as a rule due to the lack of sun, but we're also fairly high up the charts for obesity and underlying health issues.

Ignore me I was thinking about B12!

Last edited:
At the start of the Pandemic, I read that our ability to synthesise protein would be the key to survivng Covid. A year later and that seems to have been proved, and even taking into account different levels of lockdown and testing it's pretty conclusive. Southern Asians have the highest levels of vitamin D.

Here are the fatality rates per 1,000,000

India 113
Pakistan 57
Bangladesh 51
Malaysia 35
Myanmar 59
S Korea 22
Sri Lanka 22
Singapore 5
Thailand 1
Vietnam 0.4

Vitamin D deficiency in western dwelling South Asian populations: an unrecognised epidemic | Proceedings of the Nutrition Society | Cambridge Core

Vitamin D courses are saving the lives of 60% of hospitalised cases.

Serious question: Would regular use of a sunbed give us added protection?
I read some research a few months ago which discounted the theory that black and brown people may have vitamin D deficiency which may be contributing to worse Covid outcomes. Sorry it was a while ago so can't immediately link to it, but worth googling if you're interested.

At the start of the Pandemic, I read that our ability to synthesise protein would be the key to survivng Covid. A year later and that seems to have been proved, and even taking into account different levels of lockdown and testing it's pretty conclusive. Southern Asians have the highest levels of vitamin D.

Here are the fatality rates per 1,000,000

India 113
Pakistan 57
Bangladesh 51
Malaysia 35
Myanmar 59
S Korea 22
Sri Lanka 22
Singapore 5
Thailand 1
Vietnam 0.4

Vitamin D deficiency in western dwelling South Asian populations: an unrecognised epidemic | Proceedings of the Nutrition Society | Cambridge Core

Vitamin D courses are saving the lives of 60% of hospitalised cases.

Serious question: Would regular use of a sunbed give us added protection?
We were reacting to unknowns in a unprecedented situation, but it shows that telling people to stay inside bar a maximum of half an hour, at the start of this was the wrong thing to do. Long walks in isolation would have been better for vitamin D and mental health.

At least this lockdown has been more understanding of that. Shame it has been when the weather is bad and daylight short and weak, but that is improving.

If Vitamin D is created through your skin absorbing sunlight, any excess is excreted. If it’s ingested on a supplementary basis, it’s a fat soluble vitamin so you can overdose, as only losing a lot of fat extremely quickly will excrete it. That would be someone taking around 10k ius a day for six months or more.

Mega dosing is usually subscribed for people with abnormally low levels - mega dosing brings levels into the normal range and then they’d be transitioned to a lower dose to maintain levels.

If Vitamin D is created through your skin absorbing sunlight, any excess is excreted. If it’s ingested on a supplementary basis, it’s a fat soluble vitamin so you can overdose, as only losing a lot of fat extremely quickly will excrete it. That would be someone taking around 10k ius a day for six months or more.

Mega dosing is usually subscribed for people with abnormally low levels - mega dosing brings levels into the normal range and then they’d be transitioned to a lower dose to maintain levels.
Nice homework 👍

Back