Visiting Tokyo

If you're only going to those two place ditch Osaka and go to Kyoto and Nara instead.

Tokyo is absolutely f***ing huge, bear this mind when planning out what you're going to be doing/seeing/visiting. Try to cluster things on an area by area basis to avoid spening too much time on the metro/train.

Would recommend going to the baseball as something different to do. Lasts about 3 hours and is a canny night out. Tickets were about £25. There was 50,000 in the Dome when I went, really good atmosphere and drinks come to your seat.

how hard is it to get around? i mean, are their english signs on the metro and streets etc? and how easy are the locals to talk to in english?

Booked to go next year, hoping for some tips/advice if anyone has any.

Looking at doing 2 days in Osaka too.
Buy a day pass for the underground. The main bit runs on a loop so just hop on and off where you like and explore for a bit. The city is fantastic and full of contrasts from full on mentalness of the likes of Akihabara to the peacefulness and calm of the many parks and temples.
It's a few years since I was there but I found it reasonably cheap to eat. Just followed locals into little bars on the side streets and pointed at what they were eating. Think it was 2009 when I was there but it was about a fiver for a big bowl of pork, noodles and veg with a beer.

how hard is it to get around? i mean, are their english signs on the metro and streets etc? and how easy are the locals to talk to in english?
First bit, yes dead easy to get around, English signs everywhere. Second bit, it's hit and miss with the locals. I wouldn't rely on anyone speaking English but you might strike lucky.

If you're only going to those two place ditch Osaka and go to Kyoto and Nara instead.

Tokyo is absolutely f***ing huge, bear this mind when planning out what you're going to be doing/seeing/visiting. Try to cluster things on an area by area basis to avoid spening too much time on the metro/train.

Would recommend going to the baseball as something different to do. Lasts about 3 hours and is a canny night out. Tickets were about £25. There was 50,000 in the Dome when I went, really good atmosphere and drinks come to your seat.

It’s twenty minutes on the train from Osaka to Kyoto. Osaka is brilliant and there is nothing to stop you from spending a full day in Kyoto before heading back to Tokyo. Don’t miss Universal Studios in Osaka, and Disneysea in Tokyo. If you like anime then book tickets for Studio Ghibli before you go and pick them up at the airport. Ditto for Universal Studios.

As has been said Tokyo is huge. It’s definitely a place that you need to research before going there so that you don’t miss anything that you would really like to see. Go on the driverless train to Odaiba for a sandy beach, onsen experience, museums and shopping!

And rent a wi fi while you are there. Just collect it at the airport and put it in the box on your way home. Well worth the money for instant access to information about places and transportation, especially if you get lost - and you probably will!

Most of the population speak a little English especially the younger ones, but they are a bit shy about it. If you approach them, then they will help. There are English signs everywhere on the metro so it’s not difficult to get around. They are gearing up to host the Olympics in 2020 so they are making huge efforts to make the place as accessible as possible for visitors. You can also find timetables and train station plans online that are in English, hence why it is important to either plan every step before you go, or get a wireless router to use to access information.

Last edited:
Expect it to be eary quiet despite being a metropolis

Don't talk on public transport

Don't sit in the places designated for elderly people (on buses, metros, etc)

Expect the locals to be polite and helpful if needed, but nonetheless very reserved

Escalators stand on the left, not the right

Prepare youself for the warm electronic toilets and all the buttons on them

Be mindful there are few Rubbish bins in public areas and you may end up taking litter back with you- it is nevertheless one of the cleanest places on Earth

Be mindful that in some shops and restaurants there's a woman standing next to the door who will enthusiastically say "Irrashyiomasen!" as you enter (it can be a surprise)

Not everyone speaks English

Expect it to be eary quiet despite being a metropolis

Don't talk on public transport

Don't sit in the places designated for elderly people (on buses, metros, etc)

Expect the locals to be polite and helpful if needed, but nonetheless very reserved

Escalators stand on the left, not the right

Prepare youself for the warm electronic toilets and all the buttons on them

Be mindful there are few Rubbish bins in public areas and you may end up taking litter back with you- it is nevertheless one of the cleanest places on Earth

Be mindful that in some shops and restaurants there's a woman standing next to the door who will enthusiastically say "Irrashyiomasen!" as you enter (it can be a surprise)

Not everyone speaks English
After reading that, I want to go there myself now.

Yes all in english/dual language.
Mainstream bars etc they speak English. Look out for a pub chain called the hub. It's a British Pub* and there's one in every main location. They all speak English and actively encourage it as they learn it better when conversing with Brits.

I stayed in Rappongi. Party central!

The more traditional cafes/restaurants where they don't speak English, they have picture menus or order via iPad with English language option.
We just said please/thanks in Japanese and pointed. Terrible I know haha!

*It's got some union jacks and brit music posters in it. It's nothing like a brit pub haha. Loads of fun though

I went in January. Was there for 7 days. Had an amazing time. Happy to answer any questions if I can

If travelling all day on metro, I was advised to not buy a day pass, as there's 6 (I think) different companies run the tube system and not all tickets are valid on each.
Think being in London and needing a separate ticket for bakerloo, jubilee, district lines etc.

I just paid as I went. Was no more than a quid a journey

Buy soiled panties from a vending machine.

Buy a bottle of sweat from a vending machine!

(It's a syrupy lemon flavoured water drink. Not dissimilar to Lucozade or powerade)

Another shout out for no litter bins on street as well.
And it's illegal to drop litter.

Smoking on street also illegal. As In, you'll get in bother walking down the street having a tab.
There are smoking area cordons at most intersections/station entrances

Last edited:
Loads of bloggers on YouTube.

Should get rail pass before getting to Japan. Only available to tourists otherwise is very expensive.

I know a couple of people have mentioned that you shouldn’t drop litter. That really does mean that you shouldn’t drop any litter but should take it back to your hotel. At best someone will run after you and remind you to pick it up. At worst it will be a policeman! Drop drop litter!

Back