Virgin Media

K3NA

Midfield
Not sure if this is the right forum but it's to do with gaming.
Any of the gamers in here have Virgin media broadband. I currently have SKY fibre and average 32mbs download.
The problem i have is my son is always playing online gaming and my wife likes to watch the tennis which is streamed on Prime TV. I get sweet FA :confused:
When they are both using the broadband at the same time it affects my sons gaming making it lag badly.
I'm looking at Virgin broadband as their basic is 200mbs but have read that their Hub is poor and keeps dropping out when gaming so obviously that is no good.
Something to do with latency, whatever that is, i don't know. I have installed my own Billion 8900 modem/router on my SKY broadband and would use this if OK.
I have heard that you can use your own router to overcome the problem on Virgin.
Can anyone give me some advice or information of your experience using Virgin or if you can use your router, to help me make a decision.
Many thanks..

Any of the gamers in here have Virgin media broadband. I currently have SKY fibre and average 32mbs download.
The problem i have is my son is always playing online gaming and my wife likes to watch the tennis which is streamed on Prime TV. I get sweet FA :confused:
When they are both using the broadband at the same time it affects my sons gaming making it lag badly.
I'm looking at Virgin broadband as their basic is 200mbs but have read that their Hub is poor and keeps dropping out when gaming so obviously that is no good.
Something to do with latency, whatever that is, i don't know. I have installed my own Billion 8900 modem/router on my SKY broadband and would use this if OK.
I have heard that you can use your own router to overcome the problem on Virgin.
Can anyone give me some advice or information of your experience using Virgin or if you can use your router, to help me make a decision.
Many thanks..
Best thing to do mate is get virgin and hardwire the console to the router or use powerline adapters.

The whole house is hardwired for network/internet with cat6 cable and a 24 port switch. Access point in every room.
Only things that use wifi are our phones.
It's a PC and PS4 he uses depending on what he plays.
Is that hardwired to my own router connected to the Virgin one or the Virgin one itself.

Last edited:
Their broadband is the only reason I've stuck with them. Think I've got the 300mb package and I've had no issues with it dropping out while gaming

There was a couple days at the start of lockdown 1 where my connection to works server was cutting out but they fixed it and had no issues since

I’ve got Virgins best broadband package. V600 or whatever, and whenever I’ve speed tested get 550-640mbps

I’ve never had any drop out issues.

Many thanks..

32mbs download is very slow for you al. Can you get FTTP at all? If not, then VM will do.

It;'s gonna be loads faster for you anyway.

You can use your own router with VM, so if you have one that works well, you can use that.

my neighbour had 200meg virgin broadband when he watched films on v box it kept buffering, also said after 6pm his connection wasn't great, he cancelled and went back with sky

Back