Virgin Media

Marty Moose

Striker
Am I right in thinking their broadband operates on a different installation protocol to everybody else because they use different wiring?

They have a cracking superfast broadband only deal on at the minute, but I'm currently with Sky and have my router connected to my switches and server all in a cupboard under the stairs. The router is then wired in via a ADSL cable that runs under the floorboards of the hall and comes back out at the phone socket at the front door. Unless I'm missing something with Virgin is it the case that it isn't as simple as switching the router, and I would have to have a right fuck on trying to get the Virgin specific cables from the point of entry to the router without having to have a load of wiring on display running around above floor level?

Yes its different to BT, Sky etc. Their system is completely separate from the BT structure. Have you checked if Virgin is available in your area? If it is they'll send someone out to evaluate what needs to be done and then when the installation engineer arrives they'll run the cables into your gaff and connect everything up.

Got rid of them about three years ago and will now never go back. Three price rises in one year were the topping point for me.

Their constant price rises saw me off as well.
I asked them for a modem and TV box upgrade because I still had a non WiFi router and a TV box that didn't have hdmi. I bought a new TV with no scart so rang them and asked for a new box and router. They fucked me off and said I had to pay a fee and take out a new contract. I said no they said nothing we can do then.
I cancelled and a supervisor was quickly on the phone to me. They offered me all kinds like a new Tele and what I had asked for originally with no fees or contract.
They lost a customer for the sake of a £50 fee they wanted off me, I was paying that a month. I'd had cable since it was installed in our road late nineties. Now I'll never go back.

I asked them for a modem and TV box upgrade because I still had a non WiFi router and a TV box that didn't have hdmi. I bought a new TV with no scart so rang them and asked for a new box and router. They fucked me off and said I had to pay a fee and take out a new contract. I said no they said nothing we can do then.
I cancelled and a supervisor was quickly on the phone to me. They offered me all kinds like a new Tele and what I had asked for originally with no fees or contract.
They lost a customer for the sake of a £50 fee they wanted off me, I was paying that a month. I'd had cable since it was installed in our road late nineties. Now I'll never go back.

I did exactly the same a few years back and got a newer TiVo box and upgraded router for nowt ;)

I did exactly the same a few years back and got a newer TiVo box and upgraded router for nowt ;)
That's what they offered me after I'd cancelled, but I'd already signed up elsewhere.
My current fibre BB deal I get effectively for free. The cashback I got and the new customer discount means I only pay just over the line rental price. When that deal runs out I'll find similar with another company. I have a couple of Freesat boxes and Netflix so I'm saving hundreds a year

Back