Virgin Broadband

Lester Ballard

Midfield
Got a letter through the post to say my Virgin BB is going up by £2.99 a month. That’ll take it to £37.23 per month for just BB. That’s starting to feel excessive.

Trouble is, with BT or anyone using their infrastructure I get less than 1mb speeds due to distance from the exchange ... so I can’t really go anywhere else.

Tempted to ring up and threaten to cancel to see f they’ll reduce it, but concerned they may call my bluff.

Has anyone had any success in reducing their bill and if so, can you provide some tips? Cheers.

They're not allowed to restrict speed based on which company you use surely? How far are you from the exchange?

If you get fibre via a line managed by OpenReach it's distance to the cabinet that matters, try BT Broadband

BT are also putting up prices, I rang up last week to say I'm cancelling and they gave me some deals and I've ended up paying less. They currently have fibre plus free BT sport for 18 months for new customers.

I imagine the process will be the same for Virgin. If they can't give you any deals and you do cancel over the phone you'll be able to cancel the disconnection later.

The past couple of times I've had to cancel it and join as a new customer in our lasses name then back to my name. I was the lowest we could go apparently, it was clear they also knew I could only get upto 18mb elsewhere and knew how much I downloaded. I like their broadband and have had no issues but as soon as the others catch up speeds in my area then I'll try them

i'm paying £34pm for 100mb broadband only. i know i'm paying over the top but have just never got round to ringing them. only get about 40mb anyway so will be ringing them when this comes through. know a few other people paying around £30 for 200mb broadband only so shall be asking for that or putting in notice to cancel

I haggled like fuck with them and ended up hoying my 30 day notice in.
They rang me back a few times with offers but i kept knocking them back.
One of the pricks at their end was arguing with me basically saying i was stupid and that i couldn't get better broadband elsewhere. I told him to shut his hole :lol:.
They rang me back about 2 days before my 30 days where up offering £19pm for 100mb and they would pay the line rental, which i took.

I haggled like fuck with them and ended up hoying my 30 day notice in.
They rang me back a few times with offers but i kept knocking them back.
One of the pricks at their end was arguing with me basically saying i was stupid and that i couldn't get better broadband elsewhere. I told him to shut his hole :lol:.
They rang me back about 2 days before my 30 days where up offering £19pm for 100mb and they would pay the line rental, which i took.
Had that before with Virgin. They start quoting you your usage stats and telling you that other providers won't let you download as much etc.
They always come crawling back in the end; usually when i've already switched and it's too late in my experience.

Trouble is, with BT or anyone using their infrastructure I get less than 1mb speeds due to distance from the exchange ... so I can’t really go anywhere else.
One alternative, depending on your usage and the phone coverage in your area, is to switch to mobile for your internet.

You can get 30GB/month deals from Three mobile for £18. That's 1GB per day, which is adequate for most and it includes unlimited calls and texts.
Other companies will have similar deals so look for one with good coverage in your area.

4G download speed is usually around 10-20Mbps during busy times and 70Mbps off peak which is fast enough. It might not be as fast as Virgin but it is a lot faster than 1Mbps.
4G upload speed is faster than broadband. Currently, here, Virgin upload speed is 4.8Mbps and Three 4G upload speed is 12Mbps
If you're a gamer, ping times will be too long over mobile but everything else works OK.

And, if you already have a data allowance on you mobile phone then you can tether it to your computer and test it out to see if it's good enough before you commit.

One alternative, depending on your usage and the phone coverage in your area, is to switch to mobile for your internet.

You can get 30GB/month deals from Three mobile for £18. That's 1GB per day, which is adequate for most and it includes unlimited calls and texts.
Other companies will have similar deals so look for one with good coverage in your area.

4G download speed is usually around 10-20Mbps during busy times and 70Mbps off peak which is fast enough. It might not be as fast as Virgin but it is a lot faster than 1Mbps.
4G upload speed is faster than broadband. Currently, here, Virgin upload speed is 4.8Mbps and Three 4G upload speed is 12Mbps
If you're a gamer, ping times will be too long over mobile but everything else works OK.

And, if you already have a data allowance on you mobile phone then you can tether it to your computer and test it out to see if it's good enough before you commit.
Not if they are using a streaming service it won't be.

Virgin broadband is very overrated.

When it works it is the best in UK however it seems to be down a hell of a lot more than sky or BT

Got a letter through the post to say my Virgin BB is going up by £2.99 a month. That’ll take it to £37.23 per month for just BB. That’s starting to feel excessive.

Tempted to ring up and threaten to cancel to see f they’ll reduce it, but concerned they may call my bluff.

Has anyone had any success in reducing their bill and if so, can you provide some tips? Cheers.

Shouldn't be distance from exchange should be speed from PCP.

How far is the PCP from your house?

When we test a customers speeds we check it from PCP, if your quoted speed is 80/20 for example that is the speed we check for at the PCP not the exchange.

You will then lose speed going from PCP to your house as it obviously travels.

So if your house is 3 miles from the PCP then yes you will lose quite a bit of speed, if your PCP is at the corner of your road then you should be getting more than 1mb

(PCP is green box on the street)

(Hope that makes sense)

Definitely worth considering. I’m not a gamer, stream Netflix and YouTube but that’s about it really.

Virgin broadband is very overrated.

When it works it is the best in UK however it seems to be down a hell of a lot more than sky or BT
I had this problem a few months back.

Got a new router off them (latest one) and he gave me some tips on reducing ‘noise’ on the line.

Since then mine has been bob on.

Back