Vinyl in Charity Shops

Hopefully by artist and then by date of release. I had my vinyl in the back of a cupboard for years and threatened to flog it a number of times. Luckily my wife stopped me from doing so and I eventually bought a new turntable. It's almost all late 70's and early 80's, I can't believe I ever considered flogging it.

Listening to this now

Logon or register to see this image
Good idea, just by artist at the moment.

Back in an hour.

I regularly do the rounds of the charity shops in Newton Aycliffe scouring for vinyl. Always see plenty of shite, including Roger Whittaker, Max Bygraves etc to name a few. Anybody found any classics kicking about?

funnily enough, my one time in aycliffe, i found an early press of a manics album for about £2 i think. sold it for £30

was down the newton aycliffe charity shops the other week and came across a stash of white label 12 inches there, had no idea what they were but filled me boots and took all twenty four of them mate. told the old wifey that they were probably misprints since they didn't have anything on the label but she held out for a fiver there. imagine me surprise when I got them home and realised they were all warp records promo releases from the likes of autechre, aphex twin, boards of canada, flying lotus and the like.

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuurp

nice find

I’ve taken my vinyl to a variety of second hand record shops in preparation for house moves and once when I returned with a second lot another bloke in the shop tried to sell me something I’d brought in two weeks before, trying to tell me it was a rare copy of the first album by that band. It was a reissue if the second album - which i gleefullly informed him.

If he was successful in selling it to an unsuspecting person though-but the price he quoted me was double what he’d paid me for it.

The one at Haswell had a room full of it when I was in about 10 years ago, hindsight and all that, the CD’s were about 50p so they were probably pennies.

I regularly do the rounds of the charity shops in Newton Aycliffe scouring for vinyl. Always see plenty of shite, including Roger Whittaker, Max Bygraves etc to name a few. Anybody found any classics kicking about?
I once got an Ena Sharples album, can't remember how much but it was a bargain. Someone nicked it when I had a party.

was down the newton aycliffe charity shops the other week and came across a stash of white label 12 inches there, had no idea what they were but filled me boots and took all twenty four of them mate. told the old wifey that they were probably misprints since they didn't have anything on the label but she held out for a fiver there. imagine me surprise when I got them home and realised they were all warp records promo releases from the likes of autechre, aphex twin, boards of canada, flying lotus and the like.
If it was all warped records you should have taken them back for a refund Gid

Picked up some great stuff over the years but it's getting a bit thin on the ground these days, best buy was a one sided Eddie Cochran 7" promo from a shop in Halifax, I was stuck in traffic and there was a convenient parking space right in front of the shop and popped in till the traffic cleared up, bought half a dozen singles at 25p each, including two London promo's, the Cochran one and a Slim Whitman one, got in touch with Darrell (Hillbilly Black Cat for those who remember him ) as he is an avid collector of Eddie's stuff for a bit of advice and he offered me £150 on the spot, not a bad purchase...

Still have the Slim Whitman single if anyone collects promo stuff or rare country records...?

The ones around here (and our local high street is bloody full of charity shops, vape shops and hairdressers with the compulsory Greggs in the middle of it) don't sell vinyl. They have shelves full of CDs no bugger wants to buy though.

I’ve given up looking in the charity shops, bending down to flick through 20 copies of Val Doonican and Jim Reeves.
There are 2 very good stalls on Chester le Street market on a Saturday morning. No bargains though - both lads know their stuff.

That's the beauty though. You don't expect treasure at every turn but when you do find it ;)

I’ve given up looking in the charity shops, bending down to flick through 20 copies of Val Doonican and Jim Reeves.
There are 2 very good stalls on Chester le Street market on a Saturday morning. No bargains though - both lads know their stuff.

Is Dave Brown still at the market ?

Have you been to Terrys, he's got a unit on the estate at Ayciffe. Prices are roughly the same as the charity shops but he has much less crap.

Last edited:
That's the beauty though. You don't expect treasure at every turn but when you do find it ;)

Have you been to Terrys, he's got a unit on the estate at Ayciffe. Prices are roughly the same as the charity shops but he has much less crap.

No, what’s the address?

One of them lads also does South Shields market on a Friday. I've sold him a fair bit and also bought from him. There's a new coffee shop attached to a bar in shields that also sells vinyl. You can buy a beer from the bar and take it into the coffee shop and have a browse at the vinyl. Goldie's and the cask lounge are the two places..

Don't know they're names. The one who has been there longest is about 60, old rocker type, bike jacket and long balding hair.
The other lad, who is a bit cooler looking is likely the lad @rael mentioned

One of them lads also does South Shields market on a Friday. I've sold him a fair bit and also bought from him. There's a new coffee shop attached to a bar in shields that also sells vinyl. You can buy a beer from the bar and take it into the coffee shop and have a browse at the vinyl. Goldie's and the cask lounge are the two places..

Where abouts in Shields mate and what’s it called ? Sounds decent.

Back