Villa forum

It seems like the Bournemouth fairy tale might be over. I think it’s quite sad, I like that the smaller, less fashionable clubs can break into the Premier League.
Cant help wondering if they will come back or sink, like we have
I’m sure there’s over 50 clubs have been in the PL

I think it would be fair to use the last decade and prospects for the future as decent indicators for how 'big' a club is. Anything else before that is something for supporters to look back on and not a lot else.

Leicester City, on tv at the moment (and imploding spectacularly!), are chasing a Champions League place. A competition they've already competed in after winning the title 4 years ago. Full houses (prior to lockdown) in a relatively new stadium and attracted a number of internationalists to the club. They began the last decade freshly returned to the Champiomship having been in League One the year before.

Whether Villa like it or not, Leicester City totally dwarf them in terms of how 'big' a club has been in the second tier of English football the past few years.
I think it would be fair to use the last decade and prospects for the future as decent indicators for how 'big' a club is. Anything else before that is something for supporters to look back on and not a lot else.

Leicester City, on tv at the moment (and imploding spectacularly!), are chasing a Champions League place. A competition they've already competed in after winning the title 4 years ago. Full houses (prior to lockdown) in a relatively new stadium and attracted a number of internationalists to the club. They began the last decade freshly returned to the Champiomship having been in League One the year before.

Whether Villa like it or not, Leicester City totally dwarf them in terms of how 'big' a club has been in the second tier of English football the past few years.
Big is a measurement of size not success.

Who are the club/s never to be relegated from top tier of football? Arsenal? I think Everton rings a bell aswel? Might be wrong.
You’ll be surprised to hear that for at least the next week or so that the answer is bournemouth. Arsenal were relegated in 1913 and Everton in 1930 and 1951

You’ll be surprised to hear that for at least the next week or so that the answer is bournemouth. Arsenal were relegated in 1913 and Everton in 1930 and 1951

Ha, I thought about that right after I'd answered Rubber. Bournemouth were 1-0 down at the time so didn't bother to update it... then Big Dom Solanke hit his stride...:eek:

Big is a measurement of size not success.

In which case, the hypothetical transfer listed player has a choice of Leicester or Villa. It's a no-brainer. Leicester every day of the week.

There's your size, measured in the type of player you can attract, in this instance.
That be Chelsea & Man C with 11 trophies. Man Utd with 6. Arsenal & Liverpool with 3. All but Liverpool can add to those figures by end of season.

Except none of those were in the Champiomship in the past decade. Which was the main thrust of the comparison of Villa and Leicester playing football in the second tier.

Last edited:
From the top division?

Woolwich Arsenal were relegated to div 2 in 1913. Around the same time some rich guy called Norris moved them to Highbury and renamed them simply Arsenal. After the war to help the post war finances the first 1st division expanded to 22 teams. The 1st division chairmen wanted a piece of the money 'new' Arsenal at Highbury could bring to the division and they were elected to the expanded league despite finishing 5th in Div 2 in the last war season. There were also rumours about bribes.

I believe they were promoted at the expense of Tottenham who were already pissed at them moving onto their patch. They've not been relegated since. That's why gooners claim they've never been relegated even though they have.

Woolwich Arsenal were relegated to div 2 in 1913. Around the same time some rich guy called Norris moved them to Highbury and renamed them simply Arsenal. After the war to help the post war finances the first 1st division expanded to 22 teams. The 1st division chairmen wanted a piece of the money 'new' Arsenal at Highbury could bring to the division and they were elected to the expanded league despite finishing 5th in Div 2 in the last war season. There were also rumours about bribes.

I believe they were promoted at the expense of Tottenham who were already pissed at them moving onto their patch. They've not been relegated since. That's why gooners claim they've never been relegated even though they have.
Technically they haven't by name though??

Read the villa site. As of most forums a fair amount of delusion and an anti Smith out gang from early on. It just reflects "seals " to a tee who would clap Bruce doing a decent job at Geordies. They are dry and boring Keith's and Kevin's.
Bit of hope but they are fucked and have no banter on Villa Talk whatever.

Technically they haven't by name though??

Technically I guess. :lol:
The players, staff, coach who represented both Woolwich Arsenal and Arsenal might disagree. I'd argue if Hull City became Hull Tigers tomorrow they'd still be Hull. In the same way Newton Heath are Manchester United, Everton are St Domingos (even says 1878 on the badge) and Bournemouth weren't formed in the 70s.

Technically I guess. :lol:
The players, staff, coach who represented both Woolwich Arsenal and Arsenal might disagree. I'd argue if Hull City became Hull Tigers tomorrow they'd still be Hull. In the same way Newton Heath are Manchester United, Everton are St Domingos (even says 1878 on the badge) and Bournemouth weren't formed in the 70s.
👍👍😅😅

These guys think they can get Poch :lol:

Rumour a couple of months ago was AC Milan were going to go all out to get him. I think that'd be a good fit for club and manager.

Villa should stick with Smith imo and look at how Burnley did when they first came up under Dyche. Went straight back down but that experience made him a better manager and they've been excellent since.

That be Chelsea & Man C with 11 trophies. Man Utd with 6. Arsenal & Liverpool with 3. All but Liverpool can add to those figures by end of season.

Guess it is as destroys your argument. But sadly for you Intertoto certificate meets dictionary defintion of a trophy.

Haway man, the f***ing intertoto? I mean, I agree with your general point that villa are bigger than safc (and Newcastle), but the intertoto was a random competition for clubs too shit to qualify for the uefa Cup. And even then there were multiple winners each season, with the overall winner just given months down the line to whichever one randomly stayed in the longest! I'm probably in the minority here in that I think the fairs Cup was a good thing to win and should count as a European trophy, but don't go and start the intertoto shite ;)

Back