Viliami 'Billy' Vunipola

And all he has done is tweet his version of corinthians.

It's not agreeable by modern standards but if we agree with freedom of expression and speech there's nothing wrong with his behaviour

Great input.

There’s not really much else to say is there ?
Those views aren’t acceptable. Pretty simple really

Surely his colleagues need to accept his beliefs and choices like he does theirs? As far as I'm aware he heanst refused to play with one of the many gay rugby players in the aru.
Does he have an issue with playing/working on the Sabbath? Does he insist on wearing all cotton gear or doesn't he mind wearing mixed-fibres? Does he refuse to eat shellfish or even pork?

Basically, is he one of these religious types who claim to believe in a God who 'just so happens' to have the exact same bigotries that he already has?

I genuinely have no idea what you are talking about. Let’s leave it there

His point is that what is and isn’t offensive is incredibly subjective and it’s a dodgy road to go down to start legislating speech that doesn’t incite violence or harm.

There has to be a line drawn somewhere from a practical point of view to stop people from inciting violence but I honestly don’t think that people might experience “emotional distress” or “offence” is a good enough reason to criminalise someone else’s words.

Does he have an issue with playing/working on the Sabbath? Does he insist on wearing all cotton gear or doesn't he mind wearing mixed-fibres? Does he refuse to eat shellfish or even pork?

Basically, is he one of these religious types who claim to believe in a God who 'just so happens' to have the exact same bigotries that he already has?
You haven't seen his tweet have you?

Quick. Google.

See I knew this would happen.

Being gay is fine. Its legal. Its all good. God bless freedom of speech eh.

Why have you started getting so defensive when people ask you questions?

I was only asking what you meant :lol:

I'll talk about it but I've already seen you and banner waiting to pile in.

Aww here man. Piling in :lol:

Last edited:
What make him thicker than a castle wall is that as well as being warned previously qantas are the wallabies main sponsor and their ceo is openly gay

My fault. He supported comments by Israel Folauby who should be the title of this thread.

I fucked it up.

People are entitled to their views.

They just shouldn't be surprised if people don't take kindly to them and these views then rebound on them in ways they may not have anticipated.

That is all

Well if you going to sack Vunipola from his place of work then you would have to sack virtually very Muslim male from theirs as well.
Particularly regarding gay men their views are not even in the 20th century.

People are entitled to their views.

They just shouldn't be surprised if people don't take kindly to them and these views then rebound on them in ways they may not have anticipated.

That is all
It’s ok to be offended by them opinions as Ricky Gervaise ( sp) and others have Said. I think it’s a strange opinion to voice even in private. I wonder how he would feel if they make comments about people and him who are the same colour?

So of those things you talked about are in the old mosaic law, except the gay thing, he probably is a hypocrite let's face it we ask are whether we admit it or not but the well worn point you're making doesn't apply.

It’s not a choice. Following a religion is a choice, being homosexual is not.
You have no way of demonstrating this, for all we know people who go to church could have a gene expression or brain function which predisposes then to a spiritual need.

Last edited:
You have no way of demonstrating this, for all we know people who go to church could have a gene expression or brain function which predisposes then to a spiritual need.

Absolutely fine. You can be so spiritual you live in a monastery if you want. Your choice.

You still can’t turn people heterosexual by being awful about it (or indeed at all). So why be so awful? All you do is cause harm to people causing no harm to you.

There are a lot of conflicting views here but imo almost every one of them has a valid point to make too.

These religious fundamentalists do follow a bigoted version of their faith (and I agree that it does cosily coincide with their personal views of the world) but these two men have chosen to take it to the glare of social media because they obviously do feel the need to defend themselves against what they see as attacks/criticism.

Likewise, obviously the rest of us have the right to call them out on it as we see fit. It's the real world and it might go badly for them in terms of lost sponsorships but could they claim a case of free speech in the face of loosing their contracts if they took it to court?

Well if you going to sack Vunipola from his place of work then you would have to sack virtually very Muslim male from theirs as well.
Particularly regarding gay men their views are not even in the 20th century.
That was one of the points that I made - but you can't sanction folk for opinions they keep to themselves. Just if they express them. Imagine if Mo Salah or Farah expressed the exact same defence of that exact same tweet. There would be literally be holy hell to pay.

Absolutely fine. You can be so spiritual you live in a monastery if you want. Your choice.

You still can’t turn people heterosexual by being awful about it (or indeed at all). So why be so awful? All you do is cause harm to people causing no harm to you.
How do you know it's a choice to join a monastery? The only point I'm making is that if people are gay then it's fine, but if someone doesn't agree then that's also fine as long as they aren't actually inciting or participating in violence or discriminating against them.

With this rugby player I don't see how he's been awful, he's just expressed a moral viewpoint that he thinks something is wrong.

There are not many people that still have these views in 2019.
Everyone is of course entitled to their views, but for a high profile sportsman to broadcast them is either really thick or hateful, what was he hoping to achieve?

Back