Vikings (TV series)

alexander

Striker
The old thread on the series is locked, sorry.

I'll keep it brief Alex and I appreciate that you might not reply - we'll have to discuss it more when you're better.

I like the characters, but there seems to be a lot of dramatic interpretation. I'm re-checking my history as I'm watching each episode, I've only watched the first 2 or 3 as the kids are getting in the way. I may need to bury some of them with my hoard, that'll shut them up. ;)

- Ragnar's wife (Lagertha?) is a hottie, I asked my Mrs to do her hair in a similar fashion but I was rebuffed.
- I cannot imagine that a Viking couple would have asked their Christian slave to join for a threesome? Nor to look after their children whilst on a raid.
- Although he was possibly a mythical figure, was Ragnar Lothbrok supposed to be from Norway or possibly Sweden? The scenery seems to imply it, due to the fjords, mountains etc.
- I haven't seen Ragnar's hairy breeches yet!

As I said, I'll watch some more and make a note of any questions I have for you. Cheers.

The threesome slave scene came on not long after the wicked Earl tricked one of his men into having a sneaky go at his wife to find out if he could be trusted. At first I thought Ragnar was doing something similar but his character seems not to be like that as such so I'm not sure. I like to think he suggested the threeway with the NE slave just to spice things up the normal way without anyone being tricked.

The same with Ragnar asking him to look after the kids when he heads back to sea for more NE raids. He knows the slave, being a Christian munk, wouldn't hurt a fly and even if he did he would have nowhere to run where he is now. There has been a bond of a sort between the two characters right from the beginning and that bond will grow the more you get into the series. Ragnar's curiosity and eager to learn more about England and the NE in particular is one of the aspects of the series I like the most. He comes across as a modern Viking, if such one ever existed.

Ragnar Lothbrok's character in the series isn't really based on a real person as such. It is based on the legends and myths of him and it is commonly accepted that not all the tales of him can be credited to him alone. The King in the series is Danish but Ragnar and his fellow warriers travel a bit to meet up with him so am not too sure he is Danish himself though I like to think of him as if he was. But back then Norway, Sweden and Denmark weren't that far from each other and the King was Ragnar's King as well so you could say he was Danish, I guess. But watching the series with the deep fjords and the lovely mountains suggest he came from what would be Norway today. The series is partly filmed in Ireland, though.

If you fancy a break away one day and would like to experience the life of the Vikings we have a Viking village near Ribe (about forty minutes from where I live) that I would recommend giving a go.

http://www.ribevikingecenter.dk/en/home.aspx

Anyway, enough of that, back to the series. How far into it are you now ? Series one will be coming to a close at your end soon ? Anyone else watching it ?

Am knackered typing all that so will leave you to it now.

Watched both series. Canny.

Isn't it just. I prefer series two but probably because you know the characters better by then. I especially liked how series two ended. That will teach people not to clash with Ragnar haha The episode in series one with the ritual offerings to the Norse gods was pretty gruesome mind. The violent fighting and what have you I expected from the very first episode but the ritual offerings later on were almost a bit too graphical for me. Nicely done though for a telly series. Series three is already being made, should be good.

It's a good program, something a bit different.

Katheryn Winnick is amazing. Perfection if there ever was.

I want to go to one of those pagan festivals and eat shrrrrrooms. Not keen on the sacrifices, mind.

Really like it, some really interesting characters and plenty of good plots that keep you guessing.

Floki(sp?) is really cool.

The episode when they done the Blood Eagle was gruesome, really liked it.

Can't wait for season 3, one of the better tv series around atm.

Isn't it just. I prefer series two but probably because you know the characters better by then. I especially liked how series two ended. That will teach people not to clash with Ragnar haha The episode in series one with the ritual offerings to the Norse gods was pretty gruesome mind. The violent fighting and what have you I expected from the very first episode but the ritual offerings later on were almost a bit too graphical for me. Nicely done though for a telly series. Series three is already being made, should be good.
Aye, it's good. The blood eagle was canny. They like a good old fashioned tear up.

Makes a change from the usual offerings on tv.

Im up to seaon 1 ep 3 but its good so far. Floki is a bit far fetched for me but Gabriel Byrne is anexcellent instantly unlikeable "baddy". Not sure what to make of Ragnars brother to be honest, is he justjealous, deranged or what

Im up to seaon 1 ep 3 but its good so far. Floki is a bit far fetched for me but Gabriel Byrne is anexcellent instantly unlikeable "baddy". Not sure what to make of Ragnars brother to be honest, is he justjealous, deranged or what

Have you finished series one ? What do you think about the way it ended ?

If you fancy a break away one day and would like to experience the life of the Vikings we have a Viking village near Ribe (about forty minutes from where I live) that I would recommend giving a go.

http://www.ribevikingecenter.dk/en/home.aspx
How old is that place?

If it's more than 35 years old then I think I've been there, and I still have the mug with my name on it that I bought there. It's chipped, but I like it.

Awful acting like, but I watched them, so there must be something to be said for it. Lots of daft plot errors, like heading off for Hexham, ending up down South by accident and then a boat turning up to tell the fella that the village had been trashed and his wife and kids on the run. Others too, that I can't recall.

How old is that place?

If it's more than 35 years old then I think I've been there, and I still have the mug with my name on it that I bought there. It's chipped, but I like it.

Wiki says 1992. Thought it would have been a bit older myself. I reckon though that the Viking Museum there goes back a bit longer.

In a weird but wonderful coincidence Ribe is in the news here today. They have found the graves of two thousand people all buried in Christian ways but dating back one hundred years earlier than what the common idea is of when DK became Christian. King Harald Bluetooth's conversion to Christendom is still by most considered to be the Christian beginning nationally but with these new digs and studies it seems Vikings and early Christians lived amongst each other for at least one hundred years prior to that. At Ribe anyway. Our history may need a slight re-write but it makes the telly series even more interesting to me, especially what unfolds between Ragnar Lothbrok and Athelstan in series two. It also shows, I guess, that Vikings were more tolerant on home soil than first thought.

Wiki says 1992. Thought it would have been a bit older myself. I reckon though that the Viking Museum there goes back a bit longer.

In a weird but wonderful coincidence Ribe is in the news here today. They have found the graves of two thousand people all buried in Christian ways but dating back one hundred years earlier than what the common idea is of when DK became Christian. King Harald Bluetooth's conversion to Christendom is still by most considered to be the Christian beginning nationally but with these new digs and studies it seems Vikings and early Christians lived amongst each other for at least one hundred years prior to that. At Ribe anyway. Our history may need a slight re-write but it makes the telly series even more interesting to me, especially what unfolds between Ragnar Lothbrok and Athelstan in series two. It also shows, I guess, that Vikings were more tolerant on home soil than first thought.
Ah well, it must have been a different Viking village we visited then. Along with a rescued longboat and that rather fine dyke they built in what is now Germany to keep the Saxons out.

I didn't think they were considered intolerant at home against other religions, they certainly weren't famous at trying to/forcing others to convert to their gods.

Back