Views on The KLF...

For deaf people.

That 23/MuMu/All Hail Discordia (I had a copy of the Principia Discordia before Cauty and Drummond had been in a studio :cool:) thing had run right through 80s counter cultural (particularly) electronic music - for example Psychic TV/Throbbing Gristle associates 23 Skidoo.

The difference being that these artists referenced the 'philosophy' (for want of a better word ) in order to develop the context of their already challenging music.

Cauty and Drummond did nothing of the sort: they stole the philosophy wholesale in order to legitimise the artistic claims of their really rather terrible pop music in order to make money.

Take away the philosophy and mystique and what are you left with? Stock, Aitken and Waterman with shit top hats and comedy capes.

When I'm talking about their philosophy, I'm not talking about the mumu/23/illuminati stuff, I'm talking about their dedication to art for art's sake; their philosophy of spending all the money they made from their art on stage shows and on producing more of their art rather than just trying to get rich from it. The culmination of which was the burning of the million quid they had left over in their bank account after they called it a day.

That's what I admire, the fact they were in it for the sake of it, not for the money.

When they did a grindcore collaboration of one of their best known songs at the BRIT Awards complete with firing blanks from a gun over the head of the audience at the end and then the dunking a dead sheep at the after party. Absolute belter. :cool:

Back