Vietnam War prog on BBC4 the neet

Who else should be producing a programme about the Vietnam War but those involved? Unless you are saying we shouldn't have any?

As regards PBS being lefties, it's up to viewers to obtain a balanced view and hold a certain scepticism re.the telling of any historical event.
Oh aye definitely and I'm sure it's good,I heard them interviewed on the radio and it took them years to make.

I'm just saying that PBS have a very strong bias,so they air things that reinforce that agenda. It's just the way things are over here so you have to take it with a pinch of salt.

And the BBC have cut 9 hours out of the original showing
Oh dear. I guess it was a mammoth program,but you'd think in this day and age they'd find the space to show it all somewhere.

Really need to reread The Things They Carried after hearing Tim O'Brien read from it tonight.

Brilliant film making as always from Ken Burns.

PBS has more than 15 mins of commercial breaks every hour. Annoying as all fuckery.
Ahhh right. So would they be in the online versions too? If so that would make the editing around 20 minutes per episode, not slashed in half.

Hadn’t even taken ads into consideration, silly me.

Excellent series, really explains the war well. Did my dissertation on the My Lai Massacre, seems to have been a lot more stuff on it lately.

The chat I read was that PBS/the owners of the rights to the programme made two versions, full length and a shorter "international" version which they offered for less money. Seems like the BBC took the cheap option so you can blame the Tories and the Daily Mail for the cuts and endless demands for the BBC to spend the licence fee more carefully

Ahhh right. So would they be in the online versions too? If so that would make the editing around 20 minutes per episode, not slashed in half.

Hadn’t even taken ads into consideration, silly me.
The full versions have about 2 minutes of ads at the start and another 2 or 3 at the end. Not 20 mins. The full versions are considerably longer than the ones on the beeb. I've no idea how they managed to cut so much out tbh.

The full versions have about 2 minutes of ads at the start and another 2 or 3 at the end. Not 20 mins. The full versions are considerably longer than the ones on the beeb. I've no idea how they managed to cut so much out tbh.
Okay I’ll go back to my original statement then :lol:
I guess we’ll have to wait until the DVDs come out to see the full things over here

The chat I read was that PBS/the owners of the rights to the programme made two versions, full length and a shorter "international" version which they offered for less money. Seems like the BBC took the cheap option so you can blame the Tories and the Daily Mail for the cuts and endless demands for the BBC to spend the licence fee more carefully
Or they could just sack Gary Lineker and make everyone happy

Yes, I noticed when I first started watching it that I could choose the "broadcast version". I suppose, along with the commercials, that could explain the difference.

There's heaps more in the PBS versions, none of it filler material. I rewatched the first two after i realised I'd been watching an edited version on the beeb and it's like watching a different programme tbh.
Where did you locate it? Dodgy download or is it out there somewhere?

Should be a 'real time' version which lasts as long as the actual war itself

Back