Vietnam War prog on BBC4 the neet

I watched a PBS version of ep 1 which was 90 mins, but BBC 4s ep 1 is 55 mins?

Appears there are two version, broadcast and censored.

BBC showed the censored version.

Last edited:
Going in November for work (7 or 8 days). Not sure how much time I have beyond evenings for non-work stuff.
Was there for 5 days in 2015, only 2.5. hours from where I work (Philippines). If you like military history/ Vietnam war stuff there loads there. Try to include a weekend there and you can get to the Chi Chu tunnels used by the Viet Cong. Only about an hour out of Saigon/ HCM.

Was there for 5 days in 2015, only 2.5. hours from where I work (Philippines). If you like military history/ Vietnam war stuff there loads there. Try to include a weekend there and you can get to the Chi Chu tunnels used by the Viet Cong. Only about an hour out of Saigon/ HCM.
The reunification museum is a must. Was also weird to walk around the ex embassy grounds, to see the place that last chopper took off from on the roof and the gates that the tank mowed through.
Nice city Saigon, like it.

No one according to the actual combatants , the Vietnamese got their country back though.

Last edited:
Watched the first two episodes last night and thought this was tremendous stuff. Could have watched another couple of hours of it easily. Very disappointing that the BBC have opted for the international cut, so it looks like I'm going to have to bin watching it on telly and hunt down the PBS cut online. Wonder if it's a financial thing and they are saving a few bob obtaining the rights to a shorter version rather than the bells and whistles one. After spending so many years pulling this story together I'd be surprised if Ken Burns has any filler in the full version, even with an extra 8 hours of material.

The reunification museum is a must. Was also weird to walk around the ex embassy grounds, to see the place that last chopper took off from on the roof and the gates that the tank mowed through.
Nice city Saigon, like it.

No one according to the actual combatants , the Vietnamese got their country back though.
Last helicopter from there, there was other places that helicopters went from with Americans in them, but there are no photos, so i guess that has become the folklore.

Watched the first two episodes last night and thought this was tremendous stuff. Could have watched another couple of hours of it easily. Very disappointing that the BBC have opted for the international cut, so it looks like I'm going to have to bin watching it on telly and hunt down the PBS cut online. Wonder if it's a financial thing and they are saving a few bob obtaining the rights to a shorter version rather than the bells and whistles one. After spending so many years pulling this story together I'd be surprised if Ken Burns has any filler in the full version, even with an extra 8 hours of material.
BBC to release a bumper DVD edition for Xmas?

Absolute class.

I watched a PBS version of ep 1 which was 90 mins, but BBC 4s ep 1 is 55 mins?

Appears there are two version, broadcast and censored.

BBC showed the censored version.
Find that pretty hard to believe.

Did Ken Burns not just cut two versions to make it more saleable?

Last edited:

Back