Vietnam an epic tragedy . Max Hastings.

It was afterwards I think. Survive the war, killed by germs.
It hit during the war - it was called the Spanish Flu coz that was the only place where the press were able to talk about the epidemic. As far as I know the effects upon the number of available combatants hasn't been properly looked at, but I think that it would be particularly interesting to see how it impacted upon the success of the great German spring offensive and the subsequent allied 100 day offensive.
Religion was at the heart of this war too iirc.
No, you don't.

Last edited by a moderator:
No it wasn’t.
Yes it was mate 100%.
That picture of a burning monk who had set himself alight wasn’t a one off, he was the first of many protesting about the south’s treatment and suppression of Buddhist monks by the (catholic government iirc). JFK stepped in for this reason and threatened them with military action. The rest is history.
It hit during the war - it was called the Spanish Flu coz that was the only place where the press were able to talk about the epidemic. As far as I know the effects upon the number of available combatants hasn't been properly looked at, but I think that it would be particularly interesting to see how it impacted upon the success of the great German spring offensive and the subsequent allied 100 day offensive.

No, you don't.
See above.

Just finished this epic book , well worth a read .

The scale of everything is beyond comprehension, one B52 raid used two million gallons of fuel !!!!

” Everyone was screwed by their respective governments “ , sums it up quite well.

I've got it but yet to start.
Just reading James Holland book about the Dambusters raid. Superb so far.

Yes it was mate 100%.
That picture of a burning monk who had set himself alight wasn’t a one off, he was the first of many protesting about the south’s treatment and suppression of Buddhist monks by the (catholic government iirc). JFK stepped in for this reason and threatened them with military action. The rest is history.
The yanks were supporting the south who the monks were protesting about.

they dont get on,same with the cambodians,great fighters though and repelled a chinnese attack while sorting out pol pots rag tag army,i read somewhere they committed more troops to the cambo front than to repel the chinnese attack.
The majority of the Vietnamese army was in Cambodia when the Chinese attacked. They attacked because Cambodia was aligned with China (whereas Vietnam is aligned to Russia) so had to be seen to be doing something as one of their protectorate countries had been invaded. Despite not many troops available the Vietnamese fought in the same way as they did against the yanks so the Chinese thought better of it and withdrew. Made some excuse about their mission to clear the road to Hanoi (which was never blocked) was completed so they could go home. The border war is what fuelled the hatred of China in recentish times in Vietnam.

Last edited:
The majority of the Vietnamese army was in Cambodia when the Chinese attacked. They attacked because Cambodia was aligned with China (whereas Vietnam is aligned to Russia) so had to be seen to be doing something as one of their protectorate countries had been invaded. Despite not many troops available the Vietnamese fought in the same way as they did against the yanks so the Chinese thought better of it and withdrew. Made some excuse about their mission to clear the road to Hanoi (which was never blocked) was completed so they could go home. The border war is what fuelled the hatred of China in recentish times in Vietnam.
as i thought

If South Vietnam had won and the country was eventually reunited under a non communist system Vietnam today would be a much richer and prosperous country similiar to South Korea,Japan and Hong Kong in terms of economic development.
If the yanks and their puppet government in the south had stuck to the UN resolution of free elections the country would have been reunited a lot sooner and would have been much richer as they would not have had to spend so much on the war.

It was afterwards I think. Survive the war, killed by germs.
It started during the war, but the only place in Europe that the papers were free to report on about it was Spain, so it became known as The Spanish Flu. This should be of interest;

Yes it was mate 100%.

See above.
I was close. I knew it was about religion though my main point. :lol:

Are you saying that Communist North Vietnam started a war against South Vietnam because they were suppressing Buddhism?

Last edited by a moderator:
It started during the war, but the only place in Europe that the papers were free to report on about it was Spain, so it became known as The Spanish Flu. This should be of interest;

Are you saying that Communist North Vietnam started a war against South Vietnam because they were suppressing Buddhism?

no. But there was a religious element.
Didn’t one of leaders wives say let them burn and we will clap.

Back