Victoria Gardens

Other side of town from me so not been in for over 20 years but still very sad.

Best of luck mate, one door closes and another one opens.

Pub building in Hendon was, however, limited somewhat by restrictions contained in the Will of the Mowbray family who owned much of the land built on in new Hendon. A covenant of February 1850 also imposed a number of restrictions on the new houses to be built in Hendon. A long list of trades were not allowed to be practised in these houses, one of which was use as an ale house. Pubs such as the Victoria Gardens (formerly Victoria Villa) and Hendon Grange were already in place before the streets were built.

the above is from the Sunderland Antiquarian site

Gutted. Right at the end of my street. It's been class this last year or so. Proper family / community feel to it. Always had stuff on for kids, eater egg hunts and stuff, and BBQs out front, quiz nights, charity nights etc.. always seemed decent amount of custom on a weekend but guess it's not a problem exclusive to any one pub. Such a shame. Surely its beneficial to the council and the brewery to have an open pub there , rather than nowt.

Fuck this world

Did OP actually contact their local councillor about this rather than just moan to council tax department?

If there are residential flats upstairs then they are subject to council tax. If theyve been empty for at least 2 years they get charged double. This is a central government directive which council staff will just following. If you want to be made a special case you'd need to raise it to local councillors.

That is so unreasonable, I have to say, are you being genuinely truthful about this.

I don't wish to doubt your integrity but it is just a so silly scenario.
Not my pub man. Its copy and paste.

Did OP actually contact their local councillor about this rather than just moan to council tax department?

If there are residential flats upstairs then they are subject to council tax. If theyve been empty for at least 2 years they get charged double. This is a central government directive which council staff will just following. If you want to be made a special case you'd need to raise it to local councillors.
Same reply

Other side of town from me so not been in for over 20 years but still very sad.

Best of luck mate, one door closes and another one opens.
Fuck off man. Its not mine

Last edited:

Aye this really. If they are flats then why didnt they just get them rented out. Seems a little disingenuous to be blaming the council here.

Aye this really. If they are flats then why didnt they just get them rented out. Seems a little disingenuous to be blaming the council here.

Quote from the op!!

This was also exacerbated by our own council, who claim that the building rooms should be rented out, whilst Heineken said we would be taken to court if we did. Because of Heineken’s stance, the council doubled the council tax as a penalty. When we presented this to the council, they said it was not their problem

Appears both the council and the brewery have been less than helpful.

Last edited:

Back