Vic Halom Metro Radio...........Today

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

gdo

Did anyone hear Vic Halom on Metro radio today what a totally inspirational chat he gave, absolutely riveting, for those who didnt he basically said, " When i arrived Sunderland were languishing in the bottom four of Div 2, but the cup run of 73 sent them on a 18 match unbeaten run and they ended up 6th in the division, Truly Inspirational Vic....Your My Hero..........Vic Halom, Vic Halom, Vic Halom, La La La La La La ! Keep The Faith ! Stick with the Youth !

A player plucked from relative obscurity by the man who is in our thoughts at this time.

One of those blokes who seemed to play the game with a smile on his face (even if his laziness annoyed us all at times!)

I remember him at Wembley, blasting the ball over the bar when it seemed easier to score!!!

Never mind, all was forgiven that day!!!

Keep the faith

gdo said:
Did anyone hear Vic Halom on Metro radio today what a totally inspirational chat he gave, absolutely riveting, for those who didnt he basically said, " When i arrived Sunderland were languishing in the bottom four of Div 2, but the cup run of 73 sent them on a 18 match unbeaten run and they ended up 6th in the division, Truly Inspirational Vic....Your My Hero..........Vic Halom, Vic Halom, Vic Halom, La La La La La La ! Keep The Faith ! Stick with the Youth !

For what it's worth Vic Halom played a lot like Kevin Kyle does, (and about the same skill level) the 70s team had the finess of Hughes and Tueart and big Vic up front. Ah the good old days !!!

TJ said:
A player plucked from relative obscurity by the man who is in our thoughts at this time.

One of those blokes who seemed to play the game with a smile on his face (even if his laziness annoyed us all at times!)

I remember him at Wembley, blasting the ball over the bar when it seemed easier to score!!!
Never mind, all was forgiven that day!!!

Keep the faith

Aye, about 10 mins to go and Leeds throwing everything forward were caught on the break. Easier to score, I don't know about that, like the rest of the team Vic had given his all and was totally knackered, physically and mentally, so much so he just swung his foot and hoped. I was a big Vic Halom fan, oh man that goal in the 1/4 final replay against City and the hat-trick against Derby in the League Cup replay. A big man with a big heart was Vic.

re the Vic Halom interview

An excellent interview with one of my all time heroes - was it really 30 yrs ago that he signed for us?? - apart from all the obvious memories (like the Man City screamer) I remember the Fulwell end in full voice after Vic had clattered a player off the ball whilst the Ref was unsighted ......after 3 everyone ...1,2,3 ..."HALOM IS A BOOT BOY"!!!!!!
Wonderful times .........

I loved Vic Halom! I was really lucky that my dad and his marra ran the Washington Branch of the SUpporters Association fo a while in the 70's - they had Vic as a guest many times with his marra from the toon Supermac. As both lived in the posh suburb of Oxclose (true).

Vic always used to say when the centre half clagged you, always give him your best smile as that infuriated him more than a slap, and you never got sent off!

Another tale I recall from then was when Vic won the branch's player of the year award, as with a lot of footy players he was into golf, and so was presented with a Ping putter. - a while later he was asked how the putter was, to which he replied, "Smashin' cannot miss with it" followed by the inevitable, "Put it on thee foot then".

DId you know, he could have played for England or Hungary - his family were of Hungarian descent. Vic Halom - Son of Puskas lol.

Still got me signed no. 9 tie-ups - great man. - Hopefully the mention of his Man CIty screamer, puts and end to the Kevin Kyle comparisons once and for all!

gdo said:
Cutting a long storey short, me and M_H JNR were stranded in Blackburn after our bus fcuked off and left us. We tried to hitch a lift back with the team but the coach was full, but credit to the players they really tried to get us a lift home, especially Kilbane and Babb, the latter was a top bloke in his efforts. In the end Wilko was trying to sort it out when this bloke overheard the conversation and offered us a ride back in his people carrier. Brilliant, a slight detour to drop a guy off between Bury and Manchester, no problem better than trying to get back by train. Who was the bloke, only Vic Halom, Vic Halom, Vic Halom, LA LA LA LA LA.

To his credit the guy who gave us a lift back, personally he would of done it without the teams intervention, he was saying to us he was on the 3 legends on Friday last caller talking about Toda. Will have to give them a ring this week and let them know I had the pleasure of travelling with a real legend. Plus this guy must be in the know as on the way down they had took Nick Pickering to the game, 2 FA Cup winners in one car (1987 with Coventry). Mind you M_H JNR might of ended up walking cos the guy said "Do you know who that is, it's Vic Halom" "Who" but in fairness to the little scroat he was'nt born until 1985. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
logo_phpBB.gif

Vic Halom on Metro Radio today

Yes, I heard the interview and it was top class. Better still, Crabtree found it so interesting that he let it run, and they hadn't time for the recorded interview with our esteemed captain. Vic played the game as it should be played........with a smile on his face. I bumped into him once in Makro in Washington (where he was buying a Hot Chocolate LP) and had a great chat to him..........this was after he had left SAFC. Never the most gifted footballer, he had an enormous heart. I remember the famous game with Derby County when he scored a hat trick. One of the goals in front of me in the Roker End he completely wiped out John Robson against a goalpost.
I even frequent Vic Halom's Diner in the North Stand before every game.

Loved Mike Hunt's story..........typical of the man.

Re: Vic Halom on Metro Radio today

[ I remember the famous game with Derby County when he scored a hat trick. One of the goals in front of me in the Roker End he completely wiped out John Robson against a goalpost.

Loved Mike Hunt's story..........typical of the man.[/quote]Mentioned that very game yesterday, 2nd replay. In the clockstand paddocks with my uncle both games. SSOL is fantastic but big cup games at Roker crushed in like sardines, brilliant, something M_H JNR will never experience. :lol: :lol: :lol:
logo_phpBB.gif

Need I add anything to this thread.The man was a giant,a talisman.and a pretty good centre forward as well. :D

Corvus said:
oh man that goal in the 1/4 final replay against City and the hat-trick against Derby in the League Cup replay. A big man with a big heart was Vic.

Ahem......5th round I think you'll find :wink:

Vic Halom was one of the most popular players I can remember in 30 years of support. He would push a ball into the net with his hands and run away smiling. I also recall SuperDick Malone in the same team at right back. The day he dribbled into the penalty area , scored and set the place alight is one of my all time best memories of SAFC. They seemed simpler happier times....

Royston Vasey said:
Corvus said:
oh man that goal in the 1/4 final replay against City and the hat-trick against Derby in the League Cup replay. A big man with a big heart was Vic.

Ahem......5th round I think you'll find :wink:

Yep, you're right. I have this mental block that the City match was the 1/4 final, always say that it was City in the 1/4 and need reminded that Luton came after City. In my mind it's the other way round ( :oops: , for more times than I can remember) Part -time supporter :wink: Loved big Vic though.

SuperVic was a superstar...had a few characters in those days...old Molly Malone, derided by many, but another excellent player..I remember that goal, was it against portsmouth, the place was in uproar...both among my all time favourites, along of course with SuperMel...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back