Veteran Rail Passes

I think we should clear somewhere like the Isle of Wight and just use it as a colony for the housing and care of anyone who served in the armed forces. We could stimulate our post Brexit economy by focusing all our efforts into providing the best life for them. Mind you, some of them would have to give up their lucrative post-service careers. It's all or nothing.

I'd rather the money was spent on helping the homeless veterans..
Its a good shout that to be fair... but then Id also think that the money used to pay for the railcard should be the thing that goes towards that. Not many people getting this card will use it as much as youd think.
Im actually surprised at the people bemoaning the ex miltary getting this? They are still paying for the privilege of using the card. Are you going to have a go at the 16-30 year olds that can take up the same scheme, the over 60s for just being old? Or even the couples who pay the same to travel at a discounted rate.
What next? Having a moan at us for getting a pension after just 22 years service? A railcard we have to pay for isnt really that exclusive.I posted something that might be of benefit to ex servicemen and women like myself... and some want to question why we should have it? FFS lets not have a remembrance parade in Sunderland because it doesnt benefit you!!!

Last edited:
How can you prove your ex forces? No ID or nothing once you leave
Yes you can... discharge papers and you also only need to supply your rank and number for it to be verified... There has I believe been the introduction of the Veterans ID card for those who have recently left the military (issued on discharge). Supposed to be rolled out to all Veterans later in the year.
The Defence Discount Card requires you to submit your discharge certificate (yes Im sorry for getting 10% off at Starbucks)

Yes you can... discharge papers and you also only need to supply your rank and number for it to be verified... There has I believe been the introduction of the Veterans ID card for those who have recently left the military (issued on discharge). Supposed to be rolled out to all Veterans later in the year.
The Defence Discount Card requires you to submit your discharge certificate (yes Im sorry for getting 10% off at Starbucks)

I left the service 15 years ago, god knows where my discharge papers are, if i even got any as they were so lax for admin at my base. So for those like me who left many years ago, whats the crack?

I left the service 15 years ago, god knows where my discharge papers are, if i even got any as they were so lax for admin at my base. So for those like me who left many years ago, whats the crack?
Contact these and ask for your service record.

Not an issue... (especially when and if they roll out the ID cards)... phone Veterans UK 0808 1914218 that's for Defence Discount service. You should also have your reserved pension paperwork too from discharge.. ask them about that too... Im actually applying to go back in as a reservist... whether or not Ill get in is another question.... and its not for the money... .thats for sure

Costs £21 if I heard correctly this morning. If that's an annual charge then this isn't that different to a family railcard. Even if it's a one-off charge then it's only saving £30 a year which is nowt. Non-story.

It's a thank you for offering your services to your country and potentially volunteering your life to protect what we have.

There'll always be people that don't get it and never will but if you have served its about time tbh.

So what about people who SAVE lives in their day to day working lives? What about NHS or Police or Fire staff?

Costs £21 if I heard correctly this morning. If that's an annual charge then this isn't that different to a family railcard. Even if it's a one-off charge then it's only saving £30 a year which is nowt. Non-story.

Family railcard is void unless you have a kid with you.

So what about people who SAVE lives in their day to day working lives? What about NHS or Police or Fire staff?
Have they asked for it? I don’t see what harm it’s doing giving armed forces a discount if they’re skint or their jobs had caused them financial problems. Similarly same with the emergency services.

Have they asked for it? I don’t see what harm it’s doing giving armed forces a discount if they’re skint or their jobs had caused them financial problems. Similarly same with the emergency services.

This is the thing. They probably haven't asked for it, but if any of them like you say have ended up in financial problems, they need the help

Back