Veteran Rail Passes

About time these are introduced. Looking like they will be available to ex-service personnel in Nov this year, not sure if it also allows spouse/children to travel with them on the same card. For me this will be a godsend given the journeys up and down the country and Im sure theres a lot of MLFs who will benefit form this too. £21 quid a year introductory price and £30 thereafter.
Tory initiative too I believe... still years late in my opinion

It's a thank you for offering your services to your country and potentially volunteering your life to protect what we have.

There'll always be people that don't get it and never will but if you have served its about time tbh.
Will the coppers and fire brigade get this then? Not sure why the army etc do.

It's a thank you for offering your services to your country and potentially volunteering your life to protect what we have.

There'll always be people that don't get it and never will but if you have served its about time tbh.
Should it also apply also to firemen or other people who risk their lives for others in their line of work? Where does that argument end?

I fully believe that the government should better provide for injured/disabled ex-services people along with their dependents (and therefore do away with the need for all the charities that serve this kind of purpose), given that they are the employer under whose watch the injuries were incurred. That they don't is a bit of a scandal IMO.

But I don't see why having served in the forces should get you cheaper rail travel. Apart from anything else it's a bit of a joke offering really....as a 'thank you' it's pretty meaningless and low-rent.

Armed forces and emergency services get discounts on f***ing loads of stuff. Just that companies don't advertise it much.
I don't get this either, but private sector companies can do what they want in that respect, and they probably benefit overall through PR value/additional sales. They're not doing it to be charitable. In fact there are discounts like this available to most public sector workers, as well as schemes that private-sector employers get involved in. Equivalent savings can often be made by using a cashback site anyway, or finding a discount code online, if you're savvy.

I don't get this either, but private sector companies can do what they want in that respect, and they probably benefit overall through PR value/additional sales. They're not doing it to be charitable. In fact there are discounts like this available to most public sector workers, as well as schemes that private-sector employers get involved in. Equivalent savings can often be made by using a cashback site anyway, or finding a discount code online, if you're savvy.
I'f you're buying online yeh. But also things like fast food joints. The big ones offered something like 20% off. Other restaurants also had good deals. Been out the loop too long to know now like :lol:

Armed forces and emergency services get discounts on f***ing loads of stuff. Just that companies don't advertise it much.
That’s pretty good. I don’t disagree with emergency service people and armed forces but only if they need it. I suppose the train companies are private and they make enough so not really harming anyone. Just seems a bit odd like mates who have served I know a few run their own businesses and rake it in would get a discount.
Exactly
it's the alt right populist Trump approach building up "veterans" that the right wing papers will ove

and ambulance drivers and ........
Count me out of this like. Mine was a genuine question not political point scoring.

Back