Veggie grub

Admit it, you reel that comment out at every opportunity.

Embrace the challenge of no meat, you might surprise yourself.

Not eating meat is far more environmentally friendly than skipping an annual holiday.
But why choose? I don't see anyone not going on holiday. Surely if people were that concerned about the environment that they literally made a decision that limits them every day for the rest of their lives then they may also consider not using jets to travel the world.
:lol:

Looking at cutting down my meat intake. Also want to start growing my own veg when I get my own place too. Mostly driven by financial and environmental reasons more than anything tbh.

Nowt like growing your own food.
It's one of the few things in life where people actively choose to live a more boring existence and be smug about it.

If you're that concerned about the environment I'd suggest start by never going abroad again. Or holiday locally. Or don't holiday at all if its that easy for you to cut nice things out of your life.

My mate has just gone veggie and honestly I'm watching him delude himself into thinking he's enjoying it :lol: you can see the look on his face when I'm having a steak or a bacon sarnie but he won't admit it.

Mind you, I've knocked him up some nice veggie meals. I will concede that quorn mince is spot on and if you gave me a quorn chicken nugget and a maccys chicken nugget it would be hard to tell them apart.

I respectfully disagree. Quorn nuggets are bobbins.
Their burgers were canny though.
As for the mince, so long as you have plenty of flavour in the sauce, you'd struggle to tell the difference I'd say.

Last edited:

As for the mince, so long as you have plenty of flavour in the sauce, you'd struggle to tell the difference I'd say.
I use quorn mince more often than normal stuff. Very nice indeed.

I deep fry the quorn nuggets, dinnar if that's the difference or what, but I think they're lush.

I'm not one of them boring veggies though. Off to eat a raw sossij now just to remind myself of the fact.

I use quorn mince more often than normal stuff. Very nice indeed.

I deep fry the quorn nuggets, dinnar if that's the difference or what, but I think they're lush.

I'm not one of them boring veggies though. Off to eat a raw sossij now just to remind myself of the fact.

Oooo look at me. I have a deep fat fryer!
You'll be telling me you have a chip pan next.

I miss our chip pan. The air fryer just isn't the same.

It's one of the few things in life where people actively choose to live a more boring existence and be smug about it.

If you're that concerned about the environment I'd suggest start by never going abroad again. Or holiday locally. Or don't holiday at all if its that easy for you to cut nice things out of your life.

My mate has just gone veggie and honestly I'm watching him delude himself into thinking he's enjoying it :lol: you can see the look on his face when I'm having a steak or a bacon sarnie but he won't admit it.

Mind you, I've knocked him up some nice veggie meals. I will concede that quorn mince is spot on and if you gave me a quorn chicken nugget and a maccys chicken nugget it would be hard to tell them apart.
I know you're on a wind up, but that is terrible bait.

I'd imagine most people go vegetarian for ethical or health reasons too, not for the environmental benefits.

I know you're on a wind up, but that is terrible bait.

I'd imagine most people go vegetarian for ethical or health reasons too, not for the environmental benefits.
At least you're admitting it's terrible bait, the first step to becoming a normal carnivore again man! ;)

The southern fried Quorn nuggets are absolutely stunning, I'm not veggie but my son is so we've taken some things on board. I've no intention of not eating meat but like the fact we've expanded our horizons and eat a little healthier.

But why choose? I don't see anyone not going on holiday. Surely if people were that concerned about the environment that they literally made a decision that limits them every day for the rest of their lives then they may also consider not using jets to travel the world.

Its that kind of attitude that is why the environments fucked and so will people be in a hundred years or sooner if habits don’t change

I'm still amazed we import it. I'd have thought we'd have the capacity to make most of it ourselves - why is another matter but still!

Presumably economies of scale. As corned beef is made from the "cheaper" cuts of beef then they have more of it in Argentina and Brazil. At least it has a long shelf life so will more likely to be shipped across the world than flown.

Got to be careful ordering corned beef in the US as you will get what we would usually called salted beef which is a very different thing.

I'm still amazed we import it. I'd have thought we'd have the capacity to make most of it ourselves - why is another matter but still!
Theres a bunch of things like that - some seafood that gets flwon out the country then back after being prepped, a lot of the pre cooked chicken pieces (certainly in Asda) are flown in from Thailand (which has worse animal welfare than the chicken factories here as well).

Been vegan for 5 or so years and thats moving from soneone who would have meat feast everything or a massive mixed grill when going out etc, havent missed it at all but have moved to more of a whole food type diet with meat replacement for treats every now and again. Is easier than ever to even if dont go the whole way have replacements couple of times a week, easier than ever to eat out in most areas as well, although for in West durham getting anything vegan takeout more of a challenge.

It depends if you see not eating meat as 'limiting' - I certainly don't. Just as not smoking is also not 'limiting' for me.

Back