Veganuary

DH1

Midfield
Anybody on here contemplating veganuary this year then? 31 days of eating a purely plant based and cruelty free diet.

Less than a year ago i started for diet reasons, seemed like it was a good idea to give it a try. Watched a documentary on netflix called 'what the health' which looks at the diabetes side of food and the lies and confusion tactics that get circulated around the meat and dairy industry. Absolutely eye opening.

Pros:
  • It undeniabily makes you feel healthier and happier as a person.
  • It is easier to get protien from just eating plant based foods than is ever reported.
  • Some of the meals you can make/buy in restaurants are ridiciously close to 'the real thing'.
  • Training and building muscle mass is actually possible. You don't just need to eat chicken to be arny.
  • From an environmental point of view, being vegan saves a ridiculous amount of everything. From the money in your pocket, to the 2000L of water it takes to produce 1lb of meat and everything that it takes to then get that piece of meat onto your table. (watch the documentary above)
  • I still drink pints, get take aways just have to be selective but again it's second nature to me now.

Cons:
  • If I go out for the day I have generally pre plan where I am going to have food as up in the North East there isn't as many options as say down south. However as time goes on the less this becomes a problem as its second nature.
  • Farting, yes. The extra fibre in your diet is absolute hell. Or at least it was for me. I took some £20 probiotic tablets off amazon and within a few days my belly found its balance, but I went from a shit diet to this which is why my body struggled more than some Ive read about.

No not considering it but have been trying to eat
More veg.
Most of your pros are either not true or not pros at all.

I could of just bullet pointed a load of facts and figures but people would most likely swear blind they aren't. So I went with a more laid back view of it all and how I've found it.

It was labbled as my pros and cons not fact or fiction so I don't see how it can be wrong.

I could of just bullet pointed a load of facts and figures but people would most likely swear blind they aren't. So I went with a more laid back view of it all and how I've found it.

It was labbled as my pros and cons not fact or fiction so I don't see how it can be wrong.
It isn’t and the first pro is - it undoubtedly makes you feel happier and healthier as a person. There is certainly doubt about that and it will be person specific and depends on the measurements, it’s a lot more difficult to get a fair few important vitamins and minerals for example.
It’s a decent thing to do if people want to but it’s got to be well managed like most ‘diets’. Think it will become much easier over the next few years though, seems to have gained a fair bit in popularity. I reckon I could do it without huge hassle now in London.

It isn’t and the first pro is - it undoubtedly makes you feel happier and healthier as a person. There is certainly doubt about that and it will be person specific and depends on the measurements, it’s a lot more difficult to get a fair few important vitamins and minerals for example.
It’s a decent thing to do if people want to but it’s got to be well managed like most ‘diets’. Think it will become much easier over the next few years though, seems to have gained a fair bit in popularity. I reckon I could do it without huge hassle now in London.

The only supliment I take is B12, cost me a couple of quid for a year's worth online. But even then I forget to take it. Probably average one tablet a week and I'm still here!
As for London, try Leon's if your on the go. I know there is one in Victoria Station but there's a few more dotted around.

Who produced/sponsored the documentary that you watched?

I believe it was crowd funded.

Im not claiming its the bible for veganism, just for me it made me realise a lot of stuff and made me more open minded.
Fairy nuff, if you haven’t already then try to watch ‘Cowspiracy’ it was on Netflix.

For a time I reduced my milk consumption but I soon reverted to my normal diet.

Fairy nuff, if you haven’t already then try to watch ‘Cowspiracy’ it was on Netflix.

For a time I reduced my milk consumption but I soon reverted to my normal diet.

I thought you were going to say it was sponsored by muller light or something :lol::lol:

I've watched that cowspiricay, it was made by the same people. I found what the health stuck in my head more as it was the first thing I watched.

I thought you were going to say it was sponsored by muller light or something :lol::lol:

I've watched that cowspiricay, it was made by the same people. I found what the health stuck in my head more as it was the first thing I watched.
:lol:

Yes you need to be mindful who makes these programmes iirc Di Caprio was involved with cowspiracy - he’s been vegan for a while.

Your original post may be an interesting idea for a month or 2 but I’d have zero chance of persuading my family to avoid meat and dairy.

Don't forget vegans don't wear leather shoes or belts.

Get some plastic shoes and belts maybe?
Oh..........plastic is worse than leather isn't it?
Hemp

Just being as conscious as ever that I should reduce the amount of meat I’m eating.

So for me that’s making the meat I do use go further by using more beans and pulses in my cooking.

One thing I am doing this Jan is cutting out alcohol. Was having more days drinking than not in a given week up until December where I made a conscious decision to not drink except for a social occasion like a work Christmas do or the match.

Back