Vegan Thread

One year vegan today. Aimed for a year and I have done it.
Not been as difficult as imagined. If anyone is thinking about trying, give it a go.
I won’t say never but I don’t think I will go back to eating meat/dairy/eggs.
It is a piece of piss. Ive done a similar time to you, I was vegetarian for long periods on and off for ages before that but thought I'd miss cheese and eggs too much.
Very rarely the thought of a nice cheese crosses my mind now, nowhere enough to tempt me.
Meat on the other hand I don't even see it as food anymore.

I'll never go back, saw too much of what happens to the poor animals in the meat, dairy and egg industries, can't justify that for a sandwich like.

It is a piece of piss. Ive done a similar time to you, I was vegetarian for long periods on and off for ages before that but thought I'd miss cheese and eggs too much.
Very rarely the thought of a nice cheese crosses my mind now, nowhere enough to tempt me.
Meat on the other hand I don't even see it as food anymore.

I'll never go back, saw too much of what happens to the poor animals in the meat, dairy and egg industries, can't justify that for a sandwich like.
It is weird. The meat and stuff does just disappear from your view. The mind is weird.

Lockdown has meant there have been no drunken doners but that I cannot guarantee when we get let out to play.

One year vegan today. Aimed for a year and I have done it.
Not been as difficult as imagined. If anyone is thinking about trying, give it a go.
I won’t say never but I don’t think I will go back to eating meat/dairy/eggs.

Well done newbie (one year and 20 days here :) )

Am not going back, and you're right, nowhere near as difficult as I thought it might be. Glad you started this thread, been some good recipes on it.

Well done newbie (one year and 20 days here :) )

Am not going back, and you're right, nowhere near as difficult as I thought it might be. Glad you started this thread, been some good recipes on it.
With all the stuff in supermarkets it’s really easy now. Eating out is also no problems with all the major chains having vegan options. Greggs doing the sausage roll and fake steak bake is another great step forward. 35 years ago it was a chew on (pun intended), virtually impossible to eat out with out 6 weeks notice and the range of soya available was basically dried, tasteless soya mince.

I thought I would miss bacon, but I don't miss it at all.

As processed meats go, bacon is overrated.

I still like bacon but I don't love it like I used to - I prefer fish now so I'm still not joining the vegan club

I don't count myself amongst the vegans.

Partial to a nice bit of fish myself. And leather shoes and belts.

I could probably do without most meats as I love a curry and a veggie curry is still lush - and the leather shoes and belts doesn't bother me - but I love cooking salmon and king prawn in butter, garlic and chilli flakes

And I drive a car which is powered by fossilised animals - is that OK?

I could probably do without most meats as I love a curry and a veggie curry is still lush - and the leather shoes and belts doesn't bother me - but I love cooking salmon and king prawn in butter, garlic and chilli flakes

And I drive a car which is powered by fossilised animals - is that OK?
What car do you drive?

It is weird. The meat and stuff does just disappear from your view. The mind is weird.

Lockdown has meant there have been no drunken doners but that I cannot guarantee when we get let out to play.

I'm into my 4th/5th year and its getting easier and easier, can be more difficult when you go certain places (eg the lakes) where choice can be limited and you can end up wandering around to find somthing, happy cow app for preplanning helps. I did do a drunken doner once and puked up within 20 minutes of finishing it.

I have sausage sandwich every Saturday espcially the Richmond ones no different imho, bacon replacements still havent found a good one although Vivera bacon pieces taste wise works.

I used to be a massive meat eater, big mixed grills, big saturday breaksfast with all the works and even when went "healthy" was loads of eggs and chicken breast, moving over to be honest I found easy and dont really have any cravings for meat/dairy at all and if I fancy crap eg a cheeseburger or an Ice cream theres pleanty vegan options to fulfil them.

I'm into my 4th/5th year and its getting easier and easier, can be more difficult when you go certain places (eg the lakes) where choice can be limited and you can end up wandering around to find somthing, happy cow app for preplanning helps. I did do a drunken doner once and puked up within 20 minutes of finishing it.

I have sausage sandwich every Saturday espcially the Richmond ones no different imho, bacon replacements still havent found a good one although Vivera bacon pieces taste wise works.

I used to be a massive meat eater, big mixed grills, big saturday breaksfast with all the works and even when went "healthy" was loads of eggs and chicken breast, moving over to be honest I found easy and dont really have any cravings for meat/dairy at all and if I fancy crap eg a cheeseburger or an Ice cream theres pleanty vegan options to fulfil them.
Richmond are my go to if I want a sausage sarnie. Plenty of mustard.
There are more and more products in the shelves and it will be good for a bit of convenience but I’ll leave most of them alone
fairly standard result for a drunken doner...
You can never blame the doner 😀

I am trying to change my eating habits a little to get healthier. I am not an unhealthy person anyway but I don't have a great relationship with food so am trying to tackle that a little.

i am not planning on going meat free but am cutting down on it and am currently on day 5 with no meat

Everyone seems to like the Richmond sausages but I was really disappointed when I tried them. M&S 'Posh Dogs' are really good, but I even prefer the bog standard Linda Macca sausages to Richmond. Speaking of junky sandwich stuff, the Squeaky Bean fishless fingers are canny.

Back