Vegan Thread

I made this last night and realised I’ve been cooking tofu wrong. It’s so much better when it’s cooked for a longer period. I cooked a full block sliced in that sauce. Simple, spicy and tasty. Added red onion, red pepper and mushrooms.
That is why I posted the video. More for the tofu cooking than the sauce. Use the method for loads of different stuff.

There so many types of tofu. I hate silken tofu, it makes me gag. But the firm stuff with a crispy coating is quite nice. A few months ago I decided to start cooking at home so bought sauces for cooking or marinating tofu - teriyaki sauce, spare rib sauce, galangal marinated sauce, and dipping sauce. I bought 2 of each. They’re all still in the cupboard untouched as it’s so cheap and easy to eat out here.
I think it’s silken tofu that i used once to make a dip.The consistency was spot on but the recipe I used wasn’t very good. must try that again.

I could probably do Veggie, and frequently do have vegetarian meals. But I would struggle with vegan purely because I enjoy milk too much. I know you can get substitutes but unless I am missing something phenomenal I havent found one that satisfies.

If after easy recipes in a book then this one is pretty good each receipe has a max of 7 ingredients.

The one pound book is pretty good as well for quick stuff, receipes are always for one person and can then be scaled up to however many want.

I could probably do Veggie, and frequently do have vegetarian meals. But I would struggle with vegan purely because I enjoy milk too much. I know you can get substitutes but unless I am missing something phenomenal I havent found one that satisfies.

I'm happy to reduce my meat intake and explore "plant based" alternatives but It's probably proper dairy cheese which I would miss the most on a total vegan diet.

Making this for bait tonight with pilau rice, flatbread + some beers.

Bubbling away now and smells class.
Iv only just learnt to cook and have meat at least three times a week but always looking for alternatives that looks really good

I'm happy to reduce my meat intake and explore "plant based" alternatives but It's probably proper dairy cheese which I would miss the most on a total vegan diet.
I’m nearly a year in and any cravings for stuff have gone. However, vegan cheese is rank.
Iv only just learnt to cook and have meat at least three times a week but always looking for alternatives that looks really good
10 minutes prep time is great. Most recipes are fairly simple and quick.

Last edited:
I eat twice as much meat these days, just to offset a vegan. Enjoying Henry Pope though.
How the hell did a reply to the New Music Releases thread get in here?

Last edited:
Any recipes you recommend
Honestly, I see what I have in and then google the ingredients and vegan recipe. I had a load on my old phone but it smashed. I'll look them up and post them in the next week or so.

The trick I've found is have quite a lot of ingredients in the food but make the preparation time minimal. If you are coming from scratch it will cost a fortune.

Very veggie lentil bake

I replace the cheese with nutrional yeast and silken tofu with this one.

I imagine if you are doing two meals a week it could end up being a faff on but I probably only "cook" twice a week because things get frozen.

Honestly, I see what I have in and then google the ingredients and vegan recipe. I had a load on my old phone but it smashed. I'll look them up and post them in the next week or so.

The trick I've found is have quite a lot of ingredients in the food but make the preparation time minimal. If you are coming from scratch it will cost a fortune.

Very veggie lentil bake

I replace the cheese with nutrional yeast and silken tofu with this one.

I imagine if you are doing two meals a week it could end up being a faff on but I probably only "cook" twice a week because things get frozen.
I only cook once or twice as I live with family but it's good to get different ideas rather than cooking chicken or sausage recipes lots, there are some good looking recipes in the Jamie Oliver veg book.

Back