Vegan Thread

I do like quorn. Can’t beat a good quorn mince chilli thing.
That and their chicken nuggets are the only decent things they make. Really enjoy making chilli with it, loads of smoked paprika and ginger to give it a lovely depth of flavour.

I popped into that vegan butchers place yesterday. They had a special sale on so everything was 2 for 1, picked up some bacon and black pudding. Intruiged to try them at the weekend.

Generally speaking I'm not one for meat substitutes (other than sausages in a sarnie) but don't mind the odd bit here and there.

They should not be allowed any meat flavour replacement food or any vegan sausages and burgers etc...they made their bed.
Why not? Marksies burgers are nice
The best vegetarian /vegan dishes don't try to recreate meat like. Fake meat is usually extremely underwhelming.
Agreed
That and their chicken nuggets are the only decent things they make. Really enjoy making chilli with it, loads of smoked paprika and ginger to give it a lovely depth of flavour.

I popped into that vegan butchers place yesterday. They had a special sale on so everything was 2 for 1, picked up some bacon and black pudding. Intruiged to try them at the weekend.

Generally speaking I'm not one for meat substitutes (other than sausages in a sarnie) but don't mind the odd bit here and there.
Smoked paprika, paprika, cumin, garlic, chilly, ginger are my basics.

Last edited:

The alternatives are getting better, I think. Some of the seitan stuff is really nice.

Had a vegan donner kebab from a place called Donner Summer (great name) at a beer festival in 2019, was one of the best kebabs I’ve ever had - the toppings and sauces certainly helped.

The Bosh lads do a very good chilli. In general all their stuff is great but quite time consuming. Couple of annoying fuckers like.
+1 from me on the Bosh stuff. Haven’t watched any of the vids they’ve got online but would recommend their books if you’re into cooking from scratch

I've dabbled with vegetarianism for nearly 30 yor.

I'm finally considering the next step of at least partial veganism.

II'd like to ask:

What benefits have you noticed?

What downsides have you seen?

The single biggest challenge?

Benefits - my food bill is less, my exercise recovery is quicker, you can eat what feels like stupid amounts of food and still comfortably lose weight.

Downsides - you do need to be planning advance, most of the supermarket stuff is junk food replacement so you’re cooking from scratch a lot.

Challenge - bacon, veggie bacon is absolutely shite, as is most of the cheese.

I find it worth it overall and I certainly have the free time to cook at the minute.

Benefits - my food bill is less, my exercise recovery is quicker, you can eat what feels like stupid amounts of food and still comfortably lose weight.

Downsides - you do need to be planning advance, most of the supermarket stuff is junk food replacement so you’re cooking from scratch a lot.

Challenge - bacon, veggie bacon is absolutely shite, as is most of the cheese.

I find it worth it overall and I certainly have the free time to cook at the minute.
I agree with the cooking from scratch and processed food is mainly shite.
I don’t really miss anything. They’ve just “disappeared” if that makes sense,
It’s a No for me Harry , sorry
I’m not trying to convince anyone. I am amazed I’ve done it to be honest.

Last edited:
I do prefer a veg chilli to a meat one these days like. Always whack a dollop of creme fraiche / sour cream and/or some grated cheese on top still mind ya.
Made this one a few weeks back with a few extra tins of different beans like haricot

https://minimalistbaker.com/1-pot-red-lentil-chili/

Can honestly say it was the nicest chilli I've ever made. I'm still a meat eater but with vegan offspring so used to swinging both ways. The taste and texture of this chilli was out of this world, would rarely want to go back to the mince variety.

Since it is veganuary and some will be suffering this horrendous torture I thought a vegan thread would be interesting for anyone thinking about doing it.

I started almost a year ago and cannot imagine returning to eating animal stuff.

Anyone thinking about it?

It's the way forward.
Been doing one day week. Thinking of upping it to two and see how it goes.

The alternatives are getting better, I think. Some of the seitan stuff is really nice.

Had a vegan donner kebab from a place called Donner Summer (great name) at a beer festival in 2019, was one of the best kebabs I’ve ever had - the toppings and sauces certainly helped.
Aye the food stall places can be very good, but it's just not something I ever use in the house. It's quite expensive as well, for what it is.
Made this one a few weeks back with a few extra tins of different beans like haricot

https://minimalistbaker.com/1-pot-red-lentil-chili/

Can honestly say it was the nicest chilli I've ever made. I'm still a meat eater but with vegan offspring so used to swinging both ways. The taste and texture of this chilli was out of this world, would rarely want to go back to the mince variety.
Looks nice, however I wouldn't have sweetcorn within a thousand miles of that!

Aye the food stall places can be very good, but it's just not something I ever use in the house. It's quite expensive as well, for what it is.

Looks nice, however I wouldn't have sweetcorn within a thousand miles of that!
No I swapped out the sweetcorn for more beans and but in a couple of spoons of marmite to flavour up the sauceIt was a very savoury tasting chilli unlike a lot of veggie chilli's which end up too tomatoey

Last edited:
I agree with the cooking from scratch and processed food is mainly shite.
I don’t really miss anything. They’ve just “disappeared” if that makes sense,

I didn’t enjoy meat as a kid, I vividly remember being forced to eat roast beef etc before I was allowed to leave the table, I’d be eating it retching.

Probably wouldn’t have swapped over fully if it wasn’t for her indoors, I prefer it overall, going to make a Thai green curry tomorrow I think, just got to decide whether I want to try aubergines or not.

Back